Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$78k PM3 AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WOWZERZ!!! Musk announced a tonight the Performance Model 3 AWD with every feature but autopilot for $78k, adding AP means $83k which number sounds horrible for marketing for a car which was meant to be the mass market affordable EV. Compared to my current M3 which was $57,500, an extra $26,500 is A LOT more money considering AWD alone is $5k, which means to add Performance you are being charged $21,500 with AP, which I am sure most people thought would be no more then about $10k. I personally think this was a huge screw up. Its not that better of a car for the extra money.

I would much rather send the extra $5k get AWD and gain a bit of speed. What are your thoughts guys?

The BMW M3 technically I'd a 3 series which falls in the same category as a 328i.

The performance version was never meant to be affordable, but the $35,000 base model is. It makes sense to me as well as releasing the more expensive options first.

Without incentives, $40k for a base AWD model seems perfectly fine. I know it sucks for those needing AWD now but it makes sense business wide to get the higher margin cars out the door now.

The BMW M3 technically I'd a 3 series which falls in the same category as a 328i.

The performance version was never meant to be affordable, but the $35,000 base model is. It makes sense to me as well as releasing the more expensive options first.

Without incentives, $40k for a base AWD model seems perfectly fine. I know it sucks for those needing AWD now but it makes sense business wide to get the higher margin cars out the door now.
Agree with you and that aspect 100%. I think the price to performance upgrade is a bit much.

Engadget wrote this piece: Tesla's performance Model 3 delivers 3.5 second 0-60 for $78,000.

I wonder if this claim: Elon Musk on Twitter will turn out to be true
Tesla dual motor means there is a motor in front & a motor in rear. One is optimized for power & one for range. Car drives fine even if a motor breaks down. Helps ensure you make it to your destination & don’t get stuck on side of road in potentially unsafe conditions.
On AWD Model S, there were cases where an extra motor didn't help with reliability.

The price increase from 100D to P100D was almost 35k. I did expect something in the 80-85k range for the P3D, so no surprise here. Also very similar price to the BMW M3 with (almost) all options - although most likely you can get a discount below MSRP on the M3

upload_2018-5-20_7-11-19.png

Engadget wrote this piece: Tesla's performance Model 3 delivers 3.5 second 0-60 for $78,000.

I wonder if this claim: Elon Musk on Twitter will turn out to be true

On AWD Model S, there were cases where an extra motor didn't help with reliability.

He didn't say the extra motor insulated against all possible failures. He said if one "motor breaks down", you've got another.

Obviously if some other critical component common to both drive units fails, there will be issues.

Reactions: sundaymorning
While performance model is certainly well out of my price range now, I wasn't expecting to be able to swing it. 5K for AWD seems just a tad high but understandable. I think all the people that were waiting for the performance version will be pleased. I think the company is snowballing on the specs like they did with the first release cars. I expect a half second better acceleration and 10-20 miles more range. I could be wrong there, but I don't think so.

Nice margins, good specs, good for the company. Looking for the stock price to start heading north again next week.

For me...it's now set.

Long Range Battery
PUP
Blue Paint
Aero Wheels
EAP
FSD
AWD

$63,000

Dan

The Performance 3 is high.... But backing out the federal tax credit makes it a little easier. No state credits for me (Because Texas and the dealer lobby). Still.... I've been saving for almost four years while driving my i3 REX around. Only thing I'm not sure on is autopilot. We have AP2 on our X... We only paid $2500 for it (ordered August 2016 for a February 2017 delivery). AP2 is okay for $2500.... But $5k..... Eh.

To truly compete with BMW M3, the Model 3P needs to also have enough "differences" in the appearance and setup as well. I have seen Franz's car and I hope that is a "P" car. The BMW is very well-appointed and looks noticeably different than the base car.
For ~$80k, I hope the car will have more than just a badge and colorful calipers.
Go and visit the BMW website to build one...

Visibly Different Appearance
Heads-Up Display-Almost as much info as MS dash display and fully customizable
Side and Top View Cameras
LED Headlights-amazing I have had 3 M-cars
Active Blind-spot Detection-Aggressively tells you and shows you if car is in your blindspot
Upgraded Interior with multiple Leather/non-leather options Options

However, even with all those negatives, I want electric...Tesla please add some features!!:cool: Please:D

To truly compete with BMW M3, the Model 3P needs to also have enough "differences" in the appearance and setup as well. I have seen Franz's car and I hope that is a "P" car. The BMW is very well-appointed and looks noticeably different than the base car.
For ~$80k, I hope the car will have more than just a badge and colorful calipers.
Tesla please add some features!!:cool: Please:D

Agree with you on the wish list, but I doubt it will have anything besides the spoiler, red calibers, and white seats..... I can afford the P, but I am not sure I can justify the 20k for it.

Agree with you on the wish list, but I doubt it will have anything besides the spoiler, red calibers, and white seats..... I can afford the P, but I am not sure I can justify the 20k for it.
It will also have 20" wheels, which change the look quite a bit.

Personally, I prefer to have the performance, but not advertise it to the world. Driving a Tesla already attracts more attention than I would like.

It will also have 20" wheels, which change the look quite a bit.

Personally, I prefer to have the performance, but not advertise it to the world. Driving a Tesla already attracts more attention than I would like.

I know, but I take the 20" wheels as a minus, ride is already rough on the 19" I have now..... Air suspension only next year. I too like understated exterior, and have no problem with it. But the interior is a different story, and that is where Tesla is lacking the most.

Active Blind-spot Detection-Aggressively tells you and shows you if car is in your blindspot

However, even with all those negatives, I want electric...Tesla please add some features!!:cool: Please:D

If the matt black from the first day announcement is included in the PM3 price, I will order one ASAP.

Not terribly surprised by the price and performance, as it's very much in line with the full range of the competition. If you look at a base model BMW 320i, that starts at $35k (though performance is no where near the Model 3) and if you go up to an M3 Sedan with the performance, driver assistance and luxury options, you are at $77k. I am quite certain that is not a coincidence.

I'm happy with my Model 3 and it easily surpasses the E46 BMW M3 that i had before, in almost every respect. As a car guy that has outgrown the silly phase and has kids, the long range Model 3 is plenty of fun and I don't need anything more. (Though, I would enjoy a drive in a full out performance Model 3 :) )

WOWZERZ!!! Musk announced a tonight the Performance Model 3 AWD with every feature but autopilot for $78k, adding AP means $83k which number sounds horrible for marketing for a car which was meant to be the mass market affordable EV. Compared to my current M3 which was $57,500, an extra $26,500 is A LOT more money considering AWD alone is $5k, which means to add Performance you are being charged $21,500 with AP, which I am sure most people thought would be no more then about $10k. I personally think this was a huge screw up. Its not that better of a car for the extra money.

I would much rather send the extra $5k get AWD and gain a bit of speed. What are your thoughts guys?
When EM mentioned BMW M3 it’s no surprise what people he was going after. Likewise there are plenty of people who opted for the BMW M3 at twice the cost when the base 3 series is 35kish, myself included back in the days. The price for that kind of performance is inline with industry standard.

You just have to take a look at the S/X performance models for a clue... they are not noticiebly different than the non performance ones. It should be pretty obvious the model 3 will follow the same.

The bmw M3 doesn’t have AP does it? And good luck maintaining that gas guzzler 17 City mpg, especially when it starts to fall apart at 100k miles. The Model S and X Performance doesn’t look too much different from a regular Model SX but sells just fine, the brake calipers, spoilers and larger rims are certainly enough for some people who prefers to be low key as appose to being a “fast and furious” kind of person. Although the BMW is a sharp looking car but it doesn’t measure up to the Model 3 in terms of instant torque. I’m not sure who would opt for a more aggressive “look” in the BMW to get a full 1/2 seconds slower in speed, but that’s just me.

Reactions: EinSV
I know, but I take the 20" wheels as a minus, ride is already rough on the 19" I have now..... Air suspension only next year. I too like understated exterior, and have no problem with it. But the interior is a different story, and that is where Tesla is lacking the most.

A lot of people would disagree mom the interior. I use to like all the fancy knobs and buttons, but after owning the S, I couldn’t stand being back in the Mercedes with all the ridiculous extras and the sluggish torque.

That $40k base model AWD will be available by 2025.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911