Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7kw charger limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
silly question but why are most "chargers" (technically cable connectors as the ac charger is in the car) limited to 7kw output?
electric showers/cookers can go up to 11kw and so why would ev chargers not be able to do this as well?

The Model 3 does up to 11kW AC on 3 phase in UK. Its how the internal chargers in the car are configured for European market that limit it to 7kW AC single phase.

The Tesla wall connector (the charger is in the car) can do up to 22kW with certain vehicle models (M3 is 7/11kW) and an appropriate electrical supply.

The Model 3 does up to 11kW AC on 3 phase in UK. Its how the internal chargers in the car are configured for European market that limit it to 7kW AC single phase.

The Tesla wall connector (the charger is in the car) can do up to 22kW with certain vehicle models (M3 is 7/11kW) and an appropriate electrical supply.
Have you got a link to where it says single phase is limited to 7kw? I didn't think it matters if it was single or 3 phase

By implication... Most homes are single phase

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/home-charging-installation said:
Grid connection at your home
Most homes in United Kingdom allow a maximum charge rate of 7.4 kW or 19 to 27 miles/hour. This is more than sufficient for overnight charging. An electrician can determine the available power at your home during a site visit and install your Wall Connector accordingly.

Also, TWC is max 32A - which is 7kW single phase 230v, or 22kW 3 phase at 400v. Euro spec Model 3 tops out at 11kW AC.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Roy W. and GSP
There is a big difference running a 9kW shower for 10 minutes and a 48A 11kW EV charger for 6 hours. I guess the DNO's have had a say in the matter. iirc at 32A/phase, DNO need to be notified but have to give permission so can be retrospective, at more its a DNO free for all and they need to give permission - likewise with a second EV charge point I believe. Similar to PV I guess, over 16A PV single phase, DNO holds all the cards.

• Informative
Reactions: Nell
silly question but why are most "chargers" (technically cable connectors as the ac charger is in the car) limited to 7kw output?
electric showers/cookers can go up to 11kw and so why would ev chargers not be able to do this as well?

7kW is about 32A on single phase which is a common MCB rating and keeps cable sizing under control. Also a lot of components in the charger probably start to get more expensive beyond 32A. Certainly higher currents are possible but that does require more expensive components and cables.

Have you got a link to where it says single phase is limited to 7kw? I didn't think it matters if it was single or 3 phase
230V * 32A = 7.4kW Can you get a domestic appliance that can draw more than 7.4kW?

EDIT: OK - looked it up and yes, 40 and even 50A switching and cabling is possible, but as already mentioned the risks of going above 32A for long periods is clearly seen as too risky for domestic applications.

Last edited:
DNOs would probably prefer it if showers were only 7kw as well but since a 7kw shower would be pretty useless I guess it is showers that get an exception rather than EV chargers that are unfairly limited?
I'm quite sure that your average electric shower unit is far from optimal efficiency and that you could have a very good experience with showering with 'only' 7kW if the heating system was better designed. Such shower units would be more expensive though. In the long term that investment would be repaid but your average consumer is not interested in long term investment in our throw-away convenience culture.

• Disagree
Reactions: pow216
EV chargers that are unfairly limited

An Overnight Charge is enough range for pretty much all situations (7kW = 22-ish MPH in a Model-S and 29-ish MPH in a Model-3), so not sure that "unfairly limited" is a real issue. The more power permitted the bigger an issue it is to sustain the grid.

The one time when more power would be handy is come-home-and-go-back-out but realistically it is unlikely that on domestic power that would give any significant range in a short "at home" interval (sure, in some instances it would be enough), so in those instances EV will need Rapid Charger anyway.

I think very few corner-cases where the extra kW is actually going to make a difference - its only going to translate into 4 or 5 MPH more.

Where 3-phase is available then higher charging rates are possible, but except for folk that happen to already have domestic 3-Phase I haven't seen any appetite for getting it installed, just for EV charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and vitesse
An Overnight Charge is enough range for pretty much all situations (7kW = 22-ish MPH in a Model-S and 29-ish MPH in a Model-3), so not sure that "unfairly limited" is a real issue. The more power permitted the bigger an issue it is to sustain the grid.

The one time when more power would be handy is come-home-and-go-back-out but realistically it is unlikely that on domestic power that would give any significant range in a short "at home" interval (sure, in some instances it would be enough), so in those instances EV will need Rapid Charger anyway.

I think very few corner-cases where the extra kW is actually going to make a difference - its only going to translate into 4 or 5 MPH more.

Where 3-phase is available then higher charging rates are possible, but except for folk that happen to already have domestic 3-Phase I haven't seen any appetite for getting it installed, just for EV charging.

Even with only 4 hours of off-peak charging through Octopus Go I have yet to need to exceed that four hours with our MS70D.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Electric cookers/ovens are also more than 7kw and can be left on for long periods of time so still don't get why it's not possible with ev chargers.

Fully understand that for most people they wouldn't care too much but it would be handy to top-up and go quicker.
Same argument can be used from going from a 3 pin plug to a 7kw charger for those not on a time tarrif rate. Most people travel 50 miles or less a day so on the 3 pin plug at 9 miles an hour is fine for most people overnight.

I'm quite sure that your average electric shower unit is far from optimal efficiency and that you could have a very good experience with showering with 'only' 7kW if the heating system was better designed. Such shower units would be more expensive though. In the long term that investment would be repaid but your average consumer is not interested in long term investment in our throw-away convenience culture.
Really? Where do you think the efficiency improvements would come from in an electric shower? Converting electricity to heat is literally 100% efficient.

Electric cookers/ovens are also more than 7kw and can be left on for long periods of time so still don't get why it's not possible with ev chargers.

Actually electric cookers are not pulling their rated kW spec continuously. Yes, they are switched on at the wall but once the oven is up to temperature after a few minutes the thermostat switches off and then only tops up the heat as necessary over the longer cooking time. Same with hobs. This is very different to a solid 7kW for hours on end charging an ev.

Reactions: Cwmwd and vitesse
Really? Where do you think the efficiency improvements would come from in an electric shower? Converting electricity to heat is literally 100% efficient.

The problem with a shower is that the efficient creation of heat then has to be transferred to another medium ... fast flowing water. That's where the inefficiency happens. Same as transferring heat from a domestic radiator to the air around it. The design and surface area of the radiator hugely affects the heat transfer ... same for heat exchange to water within an electric shower.

Actually electric cookers are not pulling their rated kW spec continuously. Yes, they are switched on at the wall but once the oven is up to temperature after a few minutes the thermostat switches off and then only tops up the heat as necessary over the longer cooking time. Same with hobs. This is very different to a solid 7kW for hours on end charging an ev.

Some houses have Aircon which pull this amount continuously but that's not the point I'm making.
Doesn't matter if there is or is not something similar to this at the moment.
Just want to know why current "fast" chargers are limited to 7kw and not go up to 11kw or higher.
General consensus is that it would cost more for the parts rather than any limiting factor