Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7th Annual Black Hills Sound of Silence Tesla Rally! May 15—17, 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, David. It is actually not as bad as that. The supercharger is back behind the store, and the grassy area really is not somebody's front grass, just a grassy area behind a store. Not somebody's lawn, just an area behind a store. I don't believe the store would care at all. Maybe not even notice it. (Except for the mud).
BM3B, I was there for the 2000 chaos. I thought the world would end. It didn't . I agree, 20 years premature.

Hah! Mac
Ah--good to know. I was vaguely remembering a home, not a store, behind the superchargers.

It would be interesting to see the two groups share a day if the two rallies were to ever overlap. That juxtaposition would make quite a picture!
While "interesting", I suspect the juxtaposition of the two rallies would not make a pretty picture. There is some overlap, but there are also some glaring differences that could lead to physical conflict.

You'd probably be fine so long as you show up towing your Hog on a trailer behind your Model X.
Given how many lawyers and accountants ride Harley's, the image isn't all that great a stretch...

True. I ran into a group of bikers at the Gila Bend supercharger we had a nice chat about our respective vehicles.

A mix-and-match "Opposite Day" on a Sturgis like scale could probably work without injury, especially if it was confined to daytime before "happy hour".

True. I ran into a group of bikers at the Gila Bend supercharger we had a nice chat about our respective vehicles.

A mix-and-match "Opposite Day" on a Sturgis like scale could probably work without injury, especially if it was confined to daytime before "happy hour".
Or it could be open to only electric motorcycles, to the Sound of Silence continues. I did notice my local Harley dealer now has a free charger out front. I could bring my Vectrix (hope to upgrade it to Lithium this summer). There are surely lots of us with Zero motorcycles.

Zero is a motorcycle manufacturer, I was not implying that none of us have motorcycles, but it's easy to confuse with a dumb name like that.

I think electric motorcycles are awesome. Contemplated getting a Zero after selling my last bike almost 45 years ago. I even got my motorcycle license last year. With all the traffic in Southern California plus the immense enjoyment I'm getting out of my Tesla, I put the idea and license in the drawer.

I still think the electric motorcycles are still somewhat limited as a touring road bike making it difficult to attend a Sturgis like rally.

I still think the electric motorcycles are still somewhat limited as a touring road bike making it difficult to attend a Sturgis like rally.
You get a cT and put them in the bed, drive them there and then ride around town whooping it up and being obnoxious.

I think motorcycles, in general, are not great for touring. Most of them I have owned I couldn't sit on for more than a few hours.

But I worked at a gas station as my second job when I was 16 (40 yr/ago) and a guy pulled in wearing boots, shorts, and goggles, all of him covered in road dust and mud until he removed the goggles. He was on a chopper with a sleeping bag tied to the sissy bar. Claimed that he had just driven from California to Virginia (the Alert station on Glebe Rd. in Arlington).

I was so impressed that when I came of age I too got a motorcycle (ex-cop bike, Kawasaki). Took a month off from work and drove across country. In Nevada, I discovered that although it was 110° I was actually cooler if I put on my snowsuit. Visited friends and went to locations I would never have gone in a car (Area 51, etc.)

It was quite a trek.

On the way back, crossing the Rockies I got so cold I caught a cold, laid up for a couple more weeks at a friend's house in Breckenridge. By the time I got back to work, I couldn't remember why people go to work. None of my other motorcycles allow me to spend the day on the bike and then get on it again the next day, so that was the right bike to take, full fairing, saddlebags. Bucket list for a 30 something.​

My take is cavemen + spacemen is not a good mix. Your thoughts?

It's probably academic but if it were to ever happen, at a minimum it would make some interesting news clips. As I said up thread, if it was prior to happy hour, injury and death's would be minimal. Hopefully the "spaceman" would have enough intelligence to stay out of trouble, and if not, smart enough to run (drive) away. Those hogs would have no chance catching up to a Tesla!

To emulate Sturgis we would need to pull our Teslas on a trailer to Custer. Unload them then drive around looking at other Teslas. Then at the end of the trip, load them back up and haul them home.
They even have a patch that says "I went to the Sturgis trailer rally:)"

I went to lots of Srurgis rally events. Perhaps some of my best rides and stories came from those treks. When a buddy asked me why I sold my Beloved Harley I replied..."I have suffered enough"

That experience does give me pause when I see posters complaining how their Supercharging stop added 20 minutes to their time on the road...posers! :)

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl and DavidB