Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7th Annual Black Hills Sound of Silence Tesla Rally! May 15—17, 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DavidB

2010 Roadster Sport || 2013 S85 || 2017 X100D
Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Tesla Sound of Silence 2020

As Half Dollar Bill wrote last year: This is rapidly becoming THE meet-up for any Tesla owner to attend. Long-time road-trippers and new owners all have fun. It's all the easier now that Custer has their own supercharger. The town hospitality is still a wonderful thing because most of the lodging establishments have destination chargers. The attendance pins are also a nice piece of swag.

Register early to get the prime hotel spots.

Many owners like to caravan to the event so if you're thinking of attending it's worth reaching out to your local club to see if others want to join you.

2020 Sound of Silence Tesla Rally
The Custer Area Chamber of Commerce is excited to host the 7th Annual Black Hills Sound of Silence Tesla Rally!

Friday, May 15: On Friday night there will be a Tesla Mixer with free food and beverages at Mt. Rushmore Brewing Company. After the Mixer, hang out at Mt. Rushmore Brewing Company a little longer and hear the Tesla Talk – the story of Elon Musk’s (mis)adventure in Custer. Then there will also be a live band at one of Custer’s newest entertainment venues…The Custer Beacon! Tesla Rally attendees will get free entrance for the entertainment on Friday night.

Saturday, May 16: Registration at Custer Chamber of Commerce if needed.

Saturday morning will be on your own to ride the Hills and enjoy the beautiful scenery of the area. Guided rides through the Southern Hills may be available this year (details TBD). We will have a professional photographer on Iron Mountain Road available to take pictures for a couple hours. Saturday afternoon will be the annual group photo. Then Saturday night is the Sound of Silence dinner at Circle B Chuckwagon which will also include entertainment.
It’s Open House Weekend at Custer State Park so it’s free to drive through all weekend.

Each registered driver will receive $10 in Custer Cash, a 2020 Tesla Pin, and a Crazy Horse Memorial dash ID that will get you free entrance all day on Saturday.

Earlier this year we had a contest on our Tesla Rally Facebook page where we let our fans choose the name of the Tesla beer that Mt. Rushmore Brewing Company is brewing special for this event. The name that won was CyberBrew, and it will be available for purchase at Mount Rushmore Brewing Company throughout the weekend.

...It's all the easier now that Custer has their own supercharger. ...

Unfortunately as of early March, over half of the eight total Custer super charger stalls are unusable/unavailable. One is snowed over. Four stalls are currently blocked by construction equipment.

I contacted the Custer Area Chamber of Commerce and Dolsee Davenport replied with this information:

The current construction is for the Lynn’s Dakotamart grocery store next to the Super Chargers. They are adding a gas station to their property which has been planned for several years. It’s our understanding that the entire project is to be completed by the beginning of May. However, even if it is not all the way done, we will make sure that the construction equipment is moved out of the way of the Super Chargers for the Tesla Rally.

Here's a direct link to the Sound of Silence Tesla Rally 2020 registration page.

• Informative
Reactions: DavidB
anyone else a little concerned about covid-19's impact on the annual rally attendance? Most of my company's external events with travelers, especially internationally, are being canceled through end of May.

I'm not really concerned and will plan on attending unless they cancel the event. If you're concerned, you can take measures to protect yourself and/or skip the indoor group events.

Reactions: BM3B and DavidB
Well it's official, I am going and plan to bring my two sons. I reserved the Holiday Inn, $125 per night with the discount (have to call), and can cancel up to 24 hours in advance.

Should I also register, or is it ok to wait until a few days before in case anything happens last minute? One registration per car or per person?

In case anyone wants to Tesla-van, I will be driving from Los Angeles area. I plan to leave early Thursday morning, spend one night in Salt Lake City, leave early to arrive by 4pm in Custer for the dinner/ evening funtivities. Return leaving Sunday early AM to get back to LA Monday evening, not sure where I will stay on the way back, I will take a different route to nab some superchargers.

See you Tesla fans there!

Should I also register, or is it ok to wait until a few days before in case anything happens last minute? One registration per car or per person?"
*Correction*

Driver–$60, Passenger–$35, and Under 12–$15.

Also on the registration page, you can order Long Sleeve Tesla Rally Shirts. Late registrants won't be able to order the shirt.

Quoting the registration page, "Each registered driver will receive $10 in Custer Cash, a 2020 Tesla Pin, and a Crazy Horse Memorial dash ID that will get you free entrance all day on Saturday." The advantage to registering early is to insure that you will receive the 2020 Tesla Pin. The folks at the Custer Area Chamber of Commerce can print more Custer Cash and Crazy Horse Memorial dash IDs, but once the pins run out, you are out of luck. Registering early also helps give the businesses time to order food or other supplies.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BM3B
Can someone tell me what registration includes, who registers and if I attend with my wife if we need to register separately as one driver and one passenger? Meaning the registration page does not allow choosing a driver and a passenger in one registration and offers no instructions or explanations. So, if two of us attend in one Tesla do we register separately as one driver and one passenger? The Facebook page asks about interest in attending events each afternoon from 3 pm but says nothing about the events. Sure, I'm interested, whatever happens.........

Can someone tell me what registration includes, who registers and if I attend with my wife if we need to register separately as one driver and one passenger? Meaning the registration page does not allow choosing a driver and a passenger in one registration and offers no instructions or explanations. So, if two of us attend in one Tesla do we register separately as one driver and one passenger? The Facebook page asks about interest in attending events each afternoon from 3 pm but says nothing about the events. Sure, I'm interested, whatever happens.........
You can add additional passengers or participants, just click "add registrant" near the bottom.

Reactions: PACEMD