Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 and high bit rate Slacker question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have spent a considerable amount of time searching, so please forgive me if the actual answer was buried somewhere in the pile of posts and I missed it. :) I also posted this in the most recent pertinent thread I could find but have received no responses:

So I've read pages and pages about bitrate and being able to change it pre 8.0 and changing it post 8.0 on the PC making no actual difference in the car, etc. I have a few questions:

1. In new cars with 8.0 is there ANY way to set the Tesla slacker account to a higher bitrate in the car?
2. Do we know what the actual highest bitrate is in the car after 8.0 on the Tesla account?
3. If I use my own paid for premium or plus account, can the car then play in a higher bitrate (assuming the Tesla account is a lower bitrate)?

Thanks!

...slacker account...

From TeslaTap.com:
"For 8.0 and later, the best setting is harder to find. With Slacker selected expand the music app to full screen. In the top section that has the heading FAVORITES, scroll up until you see “Have a Slacker account?” and the SIGN IN button. Tap SIGN IN. Now you may get the checkbox option “high quality / bitrate”. If the option appears, check it to get the highest quality."

I want to add in here some important bits of info I've recently found out via Slacker support.

In the 8.0 firmware Tesla removed the high bitrate feed option from all cars with the base audio package. There is no way to make your base audio car play directly from Slacker a stream which will not make your ears bleed. I asked them to pull logs from when my car was playing, and the format the car requested was AACv2 40kbps! No wonder this sounds so bad to so many people!

The web player's setting is completely independent of the car. The car picks the format it wants and indicates it to the stream as a query parameter to the stream url. There is no cross-device quality setting. If you install the Android app you'll have to enable the high quality feed setting there too. There is absolutely no link between the web player and the car. That was never the case.

If you are unsure whether your car is playing back a decent stream or not, email [email protected] and ask them to check from log data. Give them the email address of your Slacker account and a time range when you were listening in your car. Be polite - they're nice people. If you are unhappy with the crippling of the Slacker stream in your base audio car, email [email protected] and give them an earful.

I'm now playing my station from my Android phone via Bluetooth. It sounds so much better than the built-in car functionality. No ear blood anywhere!