Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Autopilot rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PatFor,

It usually takes weeks or months for new software to be downloaded to the entire Tesla fleet.

I suggest contacting your DS and asking if they will install 8.0 for you prior to your pickup date.

GSP

I'd relax and not worry about it, especially if getting the local service center to do it might delay delivery. You'll have a new car to enjoy. If it takes another day or even a week to get a software update, that shouldn't be a big deal.

That said, your car will know that it's been inside the SC geofence and that will often trigger an update automatically. You can apply that overnight or whenever it's convenient. If it doesn't happen automatically, there may be a good reason. Tesla's download servers might get very busy, and then we'll all be waiting together.

I am picking up my MS on Saturday. Will my car have 8.0? How do these updates work? Do all cars update at once? Rollout West to East? I will be picking up in NC. Will we ever have It?
Thanks for your help.
The last really big rollouts 7.0/7.1 went out to the entire fleet in about 2 days for the U.S. 7.0 went West to East, 7.1 went East to West. The other countries went after that. I would guess AP cars are prioritized.
If I were you I'd call my DS to see what they can do to make sure it's on your new car since they will be going over everything at delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and mblakele
If your car is already pending delivery, software updates are likely halted until after delivery (that happened to mine when I picked up my car a week after the 7.0 roll out and it was still on 6.2 despite the vast majority of the fleet already having been updated.

If you feel that 8.0 is something you absolutely want. Contact your DS and insist on it. If Tesla is aware of it, it will be listed as a "defect" for them to resolve, and full delivery of the car won't be considered complete (from a legal stand point) until it's fixed. They can and will force it to download, but it may be a day or two after delivery.

That said, if you get 7.1, and get used to the AP functions of it, you may not want 8.0 (I know I would never even consider 8.0 with it's added limitations for no added functionality) If you get 8.0 pushed early to your car, you won't have the option to chose if you actually want it or not (on the bright side, if you get 8.0 immediately, or very shortly after purchase, you'll never experience 7.1 so you won't know you're missing out)