TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

8.0 Firmware (2.40.21) Just Downgraded To 7.1 (2.36.31)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MarkS22, Oct 7, 2016.

1. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

So, today, the car was in the Service Center. While there, they upgraded it to 8.0 (2.40.21) from 8.0 (2.36.108). Earlier tonight, I got a notification that an upgrade was available. So, I set it to upgrade...

...and now it's on 7.1 (2.36.31)!

Has anyone heard of anything like this happening? I mean, I was already on 8.0 since September 26th. Then the SC upgraded me... only to drop back and lose 8.0 the night it returned home?

So strange.

• Informative x 3
  2. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Oops.

Did you ever have 2.36.31 on it?

3. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

Yup. It was installed on September 18th, before it went to 8.0 on September 26th.

4. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Need a weird button so I can follow this, but since there is none I am commenting this weird sentence.

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 3
  5. SD Diver

SD Diver Member

I wish that 2.36.31 would be pushed to mine. Not loving 8.0 on my pre-AP P85+...

• Like x 6
  6. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

Where do I sign up? Give me my old USB media player back. I'll reupgrade to 8.X when they fix it.

• Like x 5
  7. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Yeah, please tell us how you did that. Not liking the new flat UI, taking away the supercharger list, map zooming in or out by itself when the developer thought it should, hiding the top icons and status bar, hiding the map zoom buttons, I could go on and on.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  8. 335eye

335eye Member

Sounds like the sc set an old trigger on the car to call for 7.1. The software I work with daily has triggers that so this, and sometimes we manually set client's triggers back to old settings to have the software auto-call for an upgrade. If my theory is correct you were set way back to 7.0 maybe by accident? I could be wrong but it smells like human error.

9. GridSpace

GridSpace Member

Just visited the SC this morning to get a headlight changed. On the way out, I noticed I have a new SW update pending. Since I recently upgraded to 8.0, this is unexpected.

10. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Why not just use the "Watch" link that is at the top of the page to subscribe to it?

• Informative x 1
  11. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Not unexpected, if this version is like all the previous ones, you're going to get multiple builds of 8.0 as bugs are fixed.

12. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

How interesting. Only time I've heard it happening was when they erred in releasing a beta version to non EAP.

13. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Member

TeslaFi is showing version 2.36.108 (a USA-only version, so far) as the bulk of Version 8.0 rollouts, but just in the last day or so 2.40.21 has appeared (and is getting rollouts to both USA and also Europe etc and the Counts for both 2.36.108 and 2.36.31 have gone down), so my guess is that you will be getting the 2.40.21 "bugfix" upgrade from 2.36.108

14. GridSpace

GridSpace Member

updating now. *crosses fingers*

15. GridSpace

GridSpace Member

Pokemon hatched and it's 2.40.21

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  16. bob_p

bob_p Member

While rolling back to any arbitrary previous release would be impossible for Tesla to test and verify, they should add the ability for owners to roll back to the last stable major release, so that if a new release has major problems (which seems to happen each time they introduce a new major release), owners would have the option to continue using the current release - or could roll back to the previously "stable" release and wait until the new release has been fixed before trying the update again.

The other change that should be implement is release notes displayed BEFORE the update is installed, so owners could decide if they want to install the update. Seems pretty crazy that you have to install the software updates before we know what's in it...

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  17. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Yeah, but that's why we have TMC.;)

18. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

#18 bmah, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    I could see that introducing a bit of added complexity...what if the new code introduced made some additions or changes to the representation of say state data or settings that were not compatible with the old code? (I do not have any inside knowledge about whether this is true or not for the Tesla software, but this issue has arisen on other commercial software projects I've worked on. Sometimes there are upgrade boundaries across which you can't roll back.) So definitely desirable from a user standpoint, but potentially hard to build.

Big +1 on this one, unfortunately this has been requested for years and it hasn't happened yet. I can't think of a good technological reason why this can't happen, so I'm assuming it's some "Layer 8" issue. As someone else posted, that's what TMC is for, so you can see what happens when people who are either braver or more foolish than you try out that next version. :)

Bruce.

Edit: "Layer 8" might require a bit of explanation. It's a bit of a networking joke, and a reference to to the OSI 7-layer model of networking. It refers to some non-technical reason for doing something, such as marketing or political reasons.

19. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Agree. It should show the pending update version as well as a change log. Every other software that I interact with works this way.

20. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

#20 MarkS22, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    Update: I contacted Tesla and they confirmed an "issue with our firmware server." They immediately pushed the latest firmware.

However, after installing it, there was an error message stating "Trifocal camera error. Contact Tesla Service." On the center screen, there was another message noting "MCU Communication Error: Radar 2, Radar 3, Radar 4. Contact Tesla Service." When I attempted to put the car into drive, it gave the standard error beep and the instrument cluster said "Unable to initialize DrivePX2."

Okay, no, ignore that last paragraph: they just put 2.40.21 back on my vehicle. It appears to have just been a glitch at the service center.

• Funny x 7