Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Firmware (2.40.21) Just Downgraded To 7.1 (2.36.31)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, today, the car was in the Service Center. While there, they upgraded it to 8.0 (2.40.21) from 8.0 (2.36.108). Earlier tonight, I got a notification that an upgrade was available. So, I set it to upgrade...

...and now it's on 7.1 (2.36.31)!

Has anyone heard of anything like this happening? I mean, I was already on 8.0 since September 26th. Then the SC upgraded me... only to drop back and lose 8.0 the night it returned home?

So strange.

I wish that 2.36.31 would be pushed to mine. Not loving 8.0 on my pre-AP P85+...
Yeah, please tell us how you did that. Not liking the new flat UI, taking away the supercharger list, map zooming in or out by itself when the developer thought it should, hiding the top icons and status bar, hiding the map zoom buttons, I could go on and on.

Sounds like the sc set an old trigger on the car to call for 7.1. The software I work with daily has triggers that so this, and sometimes we manually set client's triggers back to old settings to have the software auto-call for an upgrade. If my theory is correct you were set way back to 7.0 maybe by accident? I could be wrong but it smells like human error.

Since I recently upgraded to 8.0, this is unexpected

TeslaFi is showing version 2.36.108 (a USA-only version, so far) as the bulk of Version 8.0 rollouts, but just in the last day or so 2.40.21 has appeared (and is getting rollouts to both USA and also Europe etc and the Counts for both 2.36.108 and 2.36.31 have gone down), so my guess is that you will be getting the 2.40.21 "bugfix" upgrade from 2.36.108

TeslaFi is showing version 2.36.108 (a USA-only version, so far) as the bulk of Version 8.0 rollouts, but just in the last day or so 2.40.21 has appeared (and is getting rollouts to both USA and also Europe etc and the Counts for both 2.36.108 and 2.36.31 have gone down), so my guess is that you will be getting the 2.40.21 "bugfix" upgrade from 2.36.108

Pokemon hatched and it's 2.40.21

While rolling back to any arbitrary previous release would be impossible for Tesla to test and verify, they should add the ability for owners to roll back to the last stable major release, so that if a new release has major problems (which seems to happen each time they introduce a new major release), owners would have the option to continue using the current release - or could roll back to the previously "stable" release and wait until the new release has been fixed before trying the update again.

The other change that should be implement is release notes displayed BEFORE the update is installed, so owners could decide if they want to install the update. Seems pretty crazy that you have to install the software updates before we know what's in it...

While rolling back to any arbitrary previous release would be impossible for Tesla to test and verify, they should add the ability for owners to roll back to the last stable major release, so that if a new release has major problems (which seems to happen each time they introduce a new major release), owners would have the option to continue using the current release - or could roll back to the previously "stable" release and wait until the new release has been fixed before trying the update again.

I could see that introducing a bit of added complexity...what if the new code introduced made some additions or changes to the representation of say state data or settings that were not compatible with the old code? (I do not have any inside knowledge about whether this is true or not for the Tesla software, but this issue has arisen on other commercial software projects I've worked on. Sometimes there are upgrade boundaries across which you can't roll back.) So definitely desirable from a user standpoint, but potentially hard to build.

The other change that should be implement is release notes displayed BEFORE the update is installed, so owners could decide if they want to install the update. Seems pretty crazy that you have to install the software updates before we know what's in it...

Big +1 on this one, unfortunately this has been requested for years and it hasn't happened yet. I can't think of a good technological reason why this can't happen, so I'm assuming it's some "Layer 8" issue. As someone else posted, that's what TMC is for, so you can see what happens when people who are either braver or more foolish than you try out that next version. :)

Bruce.

Edit: "Layer 8" might require a bit of explanation. It's a bit of a networking joke, and a reference to to the OSI 7-layer model of networking. It refers to some non-technical reason for doing something, such as marketing or political reasons.

Last edited:
Update: I contacted Tesla and they confirmed an "issue with our firmware server." They immediately pushed the latest firmware.

However, after installing it, there was an error message stating "Trifocal camera error. Contact Tesla Service." On the center screen, there was another message noting "MCU Communication Error: Radar 2, Radar 3, Radar 4. Contact Tesla Service." When I attempted to put the car into drive, it gave the standard error beep and the instrument cluster said "Unable to initialize DrivePX2."

Okay, no, ignore that last paragraph: they just put 2.40.21 back on my vehicle. It appears to have just been a glitch at the service center.

Last edited: