Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Lost or Degraded Capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 7.1, people complained about two scenarios that might've resulted in this change. One was that if you're like me and set your AP speed to 90 in a 55, enter a restricted zone, then jerk the wheel to take control back, the car will rocket back from 60 to 90. The other is sometimes AP mis-reads Route 110 as speed limit 110mph and start going faster.

I presume this is a safety feature to never allow AP to increase the setpoint but allow it to decrease it. I wish it were selectable as a preference though.

I definitely agree that the previous situation needed to be changed...any steering input that cancelled autosteer suddenly rocketed up to the TACC set point! But why not do the obvious thing (joke directed towards head pitchman), and just make the TACC set point also limited to 5mph over when previously in autopilot.

The chosen change is fine for fixing the problem, but now requires the driver to reset the target speed exiting every small town, etc. less "auto" :(

Reactions: Sather
Yeah, it needs to be settable: wall-mounted crank phone, traditional Western Electric rotary, space-age corded push-button,
flip-phone w/ external antenna, flip-phone w/o antenna, small smart phone, gigantic smart phone. Which would be your choice,
Bruce? :)

Definitely the old rotary dial. I'd want the Princess Telephone as a choice too however. :)

Princess telephone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bruce.

PS. C'mon Telsa Engineering, I know you can do this. :)

One thing we have lost, is the ability to switch audio source from the steering wheel.

I was surprised to see that as well... At least now it's easy to switch inputs from the large display again...

I had my EQ settings reset with the update and I now notice the ability to select the dolby stuff for premium audio cars is gone. Also, I noticed there is no app settings for the media player now basically removing the ability to set higher quality streams and log into your car with your own tunein account...

So three things:

1. Can't change the audio source from the steering wheel anymore
2. No dolby audio options making it nearly impossible to know whether or not the car has premium audio without playing a song with heavy bass and listening for the sub
3. No ability to modify the logged in accounts or change streaming quality option that used to exist under the apps control section

Jeff

2. No dolby audio options making it nearly impossible to know whether or not the car has premium audio without playing a song with heavy bass and listening for the sub.

Ugh? What should we make of this? Does this mean that Dolby is now "on" by default or that it is no longer available? I have dolby set to "off" and I really don't want it. It just sounds awful (to my ears at list).

Last edited:
I was surprised to see that as well... At least now it's easy to switch inputs from the large display again...

I had my EQ settings reset with the update and I now notice the ability to select the dolby stuff for premium audio cars is gone. Also, I noticed there is no app settings for the media player now basically removing the ability to set higher quality streams and log into your car with your own tunein account...

So three things:

1. Can't change the audio source from the steering wheel anymore
2. No dolby audio options making it nearly impossible to know whether or not the car has premium audio without playing a song with heavy bass and listening for the sub
3. No ability to modify the logged in accounts or change streaming quality option that used to exist under the apps control section

Jeff
Wait, agree about not liking the steering wheel audio source selection but there are Dolby options so I'm not sure what you mean. Re streaming quality, you can't change slacker to high quality anymore but you can on TuneIn if you create a personal account, set it to high quality online then log into Tesla TuneIn with your personal account.

Wait, agree about not liking the steering wheel audio source selection but there are Dolby options so I'm not sure what you mean. Re streaming quality, you can't change slacker to high quality anymore but you can on TuneIn if you create a personal account, set it to high quality online then log into Tesla TuneIn with your personal account.

Interesting, in my EQ settings I no longer see the dolby button... Also, if you can't access the streaming accounts screen anymore, how are you supposed to log into your TuneIn account from your Tesla...??? :) Clearly I've missed something...

Jeff

EDIT: Found the login info stuff from another post... Still trying to find the dolby settings or lack thereof... :)

Last edited:
Under Audio Settings: the fader/balance control is changed (worse).

Used to be able to independently drag the front/back vs left/right audio - in addition to having the fun but not as practical crosshairs. A numerical value was also displayed for each setting, so you could remember what setting you liked.

Now, when I want to push music to the back of the car, so the kids can listen and my wife and I can talk, I can no longer drag the front/back slider only. While driving, trying to get those crosshairs right is a pain! Also, returning the settings back to the way I like is also more annoying (I'm tall and hence generally always have the fader turned 4 points toward the back of the car cuz my seat is so far back).

Sticking to the OP topic, we seem to have lost the ability to report bugs by voice now. I used to press (and hold) and say bug report and the details and it would confirm it sent the bug report (no idea if they did anything with those as I never got follow up). Now with the one press there doesn't seem to be a way to report bugs.

...EDIT:...

Okay so I found the Dolby and login\quality settings... You have to expand the media player to full screen then the EQ will show the Dolby and you can log in\control quality...

Jeff

I haven't looked at the new UI yet (install scheduled for tonight!), but why would one need to expand? did they change the UI in such a way that you actually need the entire real estate to use the EQ controls or does that just sound like an arbitrary decision?

• Autopilot / TACC
    • Lost - When driving on a non-limited access highway, autopilot limits speed to limit + 5. Fine. Still does. But now it resets set speed to lower speed when it enters a speed zone. Used to be that you could set the TACC speed anywhere above the posted speed limit (up to about 90 mph, anyways), and A/P would limit the speed to limit + 5. So driving down a 55 mph road, A/P would go 60. Go through an area where limit reduced to 45, A/P would slow to 50. Speed limit rose back to 55, A/P would resume 60 mph without having to make any manual adjustment. (I would like to have seen an option added to have TACC do this even without A/P engaged). Now, once A/P slows to 50, it will not resume 60 when the speed limit goes back to 55. You have to manually reset the speed using the stalk.
      I suppose this prevents sudden and perhaps unexpected acceleration to the set speed if A/P is disengaged by jerking the wheel, bit should have been implemented that way, instead of just resetting the speed at limit +5. IMO, requiring more manual inputs is a big step backward in this case.
Anyone else want to play? :D

This was a pretty serious and dangerous bug that could potentially cause an accident. I'm glad they fixed it. That said, I'm refusing the softrware update until the they fix the USB browsing issues.

I am really disappointed that when my phone is plugged into the dock and bluetooth on there is absolutely no way to hear text or notifications through the audio system.

I don't get that??

I could be doing something wrong though as I am only 1200 miles in.

This was a pretty serious and dangerous bug that could potentially cause an accident. I'm glad they fixed it. That said, I'm refusing the softrware update until the they fix the USB browsing issues.
You mean the missing alphabet selection? It's not bad enough to stop you from enjoying the rest of it, really. There's enough new stuff in MP to make it net better IMHO.

I am really disappointed that when my phone is plugged into the dock and bluetooth on there is absolutely no way to hear text or notifications through the audio system.

I don't get that??

I could be doing something wrong though as I am only 1200 miles in.

If I understand your complaint/question right, you can get notification sounds, etc. through the audio system if you select your BT-connected phone as an audio source. Yeah that sucks, I didn't say the solution made any sense. :p This isn't new to 8.0, BTW...I think it's been this was as long as I've owned my car (6.2-ish).

Bruce.

Reactions: Sather
If I understand your complaint/question right, you can get notification sounds, etc. through the audio system if you select your BT-connected phone as an audio source. Yeah that sucks, I didn't say the solution made any sense. :p This isn't new to 8.0, BTW...I think it's been this was as long as I've owned my car (6.2-ish).

Bruce.

I CANNOT get notification sounds of any sort when my phone is connected to bluetooth. I don't understand why the notification sound coming from my phone doesn't play through the speakers in the car or any type of notification that I have gotten a notification?

The Doge interface in my old truck had it and even read the text. Tesla....nothing

The lack of additional waypoint and route options is inexcusable at this point... Come on Elon\Tesla...

Here's what Tesla should do, go buy the "best" Garmin out there and replicate it's functionality to the Tesla software...

Jeff

8.0 navigation didn't show which side (left or right) of several routed destinations. (There used to be a arrow that pointed to the direction where the destination would be found.) An anomaly or have others observed this also?