Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Lost or Degraded Capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing we have lost, is the ability to switch audio source from the steering wheel.

I used to use the steering wheel scroll button to choose my audio source. It was very easy and allowed me to keep my eyes on the road while switching from slacker to xm or whatever. That functionality appears to be gone. What do you all do to switch source? I could use the main touchscreen, but that requires me to take my eyes off the road for longer than I would like. Is there another shortcut somewhere?

I used to use the steering wheel scroll button to choose my audio source. It was very easy and allowed me to keep my eyes on the road while switching from slacker to xm or whatever. That functionality appears to be gone. What do you all do to switch source? I could use the main touchscreen, but that requires me to take my eyes off the road for longer than I would like. Is there another shortcut somewhere?
Not that I know of and I wish they hadn't taken away steering wheel audio source control. I'd prefer to decide for myself what that button does as before.
The only way that I've found to switch source is via the touchscreen.

You mean the missing alphabet selection? It's not bad enough to stop you from enjoying the rest of it, really. There's enough new stuff in MP to make it net better IMHO.

More serious is, and a critical feature I use every day, is when I select an artist that I have 10+(some even 30+) albums by and I want to select an album based on artist, that is now missing.

Every other MP3 player on the planet earth whether it be an app or dedicated device has this ability. This simply *must* be a bug.

More serious is, and a critical feature I use every day, is when I select an artist that I have 10+(some even 30+) albums by and I want to select an album based on artist, that is now missing.

Every other MP3 player on the planet earth whether it be an app or dedicated device has this ability. This simply *must* be a bug.
Got it. My folder structure is \music\artist\album so I am able to select the artist and album I want following that path. Yeah there's no alpha selector but I can easily find what I want without a lot of effort. I have 7040 songs, 248 GB. Don't know how many folders but it's a lot.

Yeah, it needs to be settable: wall-mounted crank phone, traditional Western Electric rotary, space-age corded push-button,
flip-phone w/ external antenna, flip-phone w/o antenna, small smart phone, gigantic smart phone. Which would be your choice,
Bruce? :)
I won't speak for Bruce, but two tin cans with string between please, for me.

I am so glad I have a Classic.
The thought of plunking down an additional $xxk to hear all these problems is mind boggling.
I have not reported a bug in 3 years cause it NEVER did any good.
Not that anyone cares, but I know several people like myself who've gone from being 110% Tesla supporters to virtually hostile today.
Seems like every time my car goes into service, it comes out worse.
Every software update in 2 years is worse than the one before.
And they still DON'T have a browser that can even recognize an HTML select statement.
Sold all my shares which today would be useless.
The moment another manufacturer comes out with a great electric car ... IMO Tesla will be doomed.

I am so glad I have a Classic.
The thought of plunking down an additional $xxk to hear all these problems is mind boggling.
I have not reported a bug in 3 years cause it NEVER did any good.
Not that anyone cares, but I know several people like myself who've gone from being 110% Tesla supporters to virtually hostile today.
Seems like every time my car goes into service, it comes out worse.
Every software update in 2 years is worse than the one before.
And they still DON'T have a browser that can even recognize an HTML select statement.
Sold all my shares which today would be useless.
The moment another manufacturer comes out with a great electric car ... IMO Tesla will be doomed.

Fortunately many of the things I've reported and requested over the last 18 months have actually been fixed or added as features, so I wouldn't say every software update is worse. This one appears to be an exception at least from the media app standpoint which is unfortunate.

I made three separate requests for automatic cabin cooling and they've finally added it. Granted, I suspect part of the motivation for that one was due to heated related bubbling of the 17" display and bubbling of the dash. Adding this feature keeps their warranty claims down for items that don't tolerate going past 140F.

This is the first update that I'm refusing until the fix the the severely broken browsing features in the USB app which means I won't benefit from the safety improvements in AP for now which is also unfortunate.

That's why everyone who agrees on one of the listed lost capabilities really needs to report this to tesla and make yourself heard. Enough reports will get them to fix it.

Reactions: davidc18
The new charging screen definitely got worse!! Things are harder to read and less intuitive. And why is it still showing miles/hour or km/hour "charging speed" while it is totally deceiving and useless. "kw" is the real charging speed that is the instantaneous reading (which I am glad it is on the new screen all the time now). However, the amps and voltage figures are gone. And obviously, you still can't show both soc % and miles in the battery at the same time.

Reactions: Tree95 and mattmass

My car got the 8.0 update late tonight. I just came in from the garage, and the above was the first thing I noticed in the media player. Well, actually the first thing I noticed was that all the music on my USB drive was not available any where, but removing the USB drive and plugging it back in caused it to reload.

On a related note, a bunch of my album art, but not all of it, is missing. I initially thought that perhaps the Tesla system was no longer going out to the net to find the art, but instead was actually reading it off the USB drive, and that perhaps the missing art was missing because it wasn't on the USB drive. But a very quick check proves that not to be the case. So...anyone have any idea what causes some album art to appear, and other albums to show nothing?

Thanks!

This was a pretty serious and dangerous bug that could potentially cause an accident. I'm glad they fixed it.
I can see the potential hazard in the prior implementation. But the fix is really stupid, and is a BIG step backwards in autonomy.
The fix should have been to simply inhibit automatic acceleration of the car without specific manual input ONLY when A/P is disengaged and TACC is not. Instead they chose to inhibit automatic acceleration at all times without specific manual input. Maybe the new functionality was easier to code, but it certainly wasn't the best option.

At this point the only thing I see in 8.0 that's an improvement are the cabin overtemp protection and smoother AP braking.

Oh, yeah. And Tunein doesn't work at all - it never loads.

Last edited: