Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Lost or Degraded Capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suppose this prevents sudden and perhaps unexpected acceleration to the set speed if A/P is disengaged by jerking the wheel, bit should have been implemented that way, instead of just resetting the speed at limit +5. IMO, requiring more manual inputs is a big step backward in this case.
I definitely agree that the previous situation needed to be changed...any steering input that cancelled autosteer suddenly rocketed up to the TACC set point! But why not do the obvious thing (joke directed towards head pitchman), and just make the TACC set point also limited to 5mph over when previously in autopilot.

The chosen change is fine for fixing the problem, but now requires the driver to reset the target speed exiting every small town, etc. less "auto" :(
Or they could have coded it that when going from AP -> TACC, set the speed for TACC to the current speed of travel.

Basically, what Brunton said:
I can see the potential hazard in the prior implementation. But the fix is really stupid, and is a BIG step backwards in autonomy.
The fix should have been to simply inhibit automatic acceleration of the car without specific manual input ONLY when A/P is disengaged and TACC is not. Instead they chose to inhibit automatic acceleration at all times without specific manual input. Maybe the new functionality was easier to code, but it certainly wasn't the best option.

I looked and couldn't find a way to delete past destinations.
Swipe the entry to the right. Intuitive huh? Works for recents and favorites, can't see how to do it for chargers.

Bruce.
I guess I will be doing a Factory Reset on the loaners before turning them back in.

"Heh-heh heh-heh. You had this Tesla once as a loaner? I like Teslas, too! Maybe I can come over to your house,
in the middle of the night, and we can be friends and talk about Teslas. Heh-heh. No, I'm not creepy -- why
do you ask? Heh-heh heh-heh." ;):(:eek:
Well, you jest, but some people are like that. One of the loaners I got had the home address of Leilani Münter | Huffington Post and @Drucifer on it, so I went ahead and deleted it for them just in case of "the crazies". I've previously also found the loaner agreement in the car from the previous person, which includes their license information and other details. I've turned those into the Service Center to be properly disposed of.

Tesla gives us a hiding icon bar so we can see more of the map. WHO THE HELL CARES? We want waypoints and multiple routing selection and features that really matter. And Tesla gives us more map real estate, something nobody cared about or asked for? More evidence that the feature list is being defined by Talulah Riley more than owners. Musk credited Talulah with the calendar feature, so it would seem that his ex-wife/girlfriend/FWB/whatever has more say into what goes into our software than we do.

Of course I'm being sarcastic, but wtf?

I assume the answer is that they need this for the Model 3 whose screen is smaller, and they're softening everyone up to it now.

Totally agree though - it's beyond insulting that 4 years in the satnav is so lacking in basic features.

so far I am not a fan of 8.0.

MAINLY because i think Autopilot (auto steering) has taken a step back. my first drive with 8.0 had the car hugging the left side of the lane, almost going off the road completely a couple of spots. that never happened previously.

also, the new clean look of the interface is more confusing than it should be. especially the media player, which is a disaster now.

Totally agree. This feels like iOS 7 all over again -- different just to be different, and mostly worse. The cabin overtemp feature is a great idea, but only half implemented (can't set min/max temp) and hardly requires a major release. Hiding the top menu bar by default is AWFUL. And yes, the steering is not as rock solid as 7.1. Doesn't lose the lane, but wavers a lot more.

Reactions: davidc18
Looks like I'm in the minority, but I actually really like this update (for the most part).

I use my S6 via Bluetooth to listen to most of my music. After comparing all of the difference sources, I found this to be superior for a number of reasons. The biggest for me, and the thing I rarely (if ever) hear anyone complaining about, is the 3 band EQ in the Tesla. Seriously, 3 band? That's simply unacceptable to dial in the speakers. One option for "mid"? What about low, mid, and high mids? What about sub frequencies? What about higher frequency treble? With my phone over BT, I'm able to dial in sounds much more precisely via an EQ that covers a much larger frequency range plus niceties like light compression - all using free phone apps. This makes all the difference to me. Using any other source and I'm out that level of customization, making listening to music not so enjoyable.

In my opinion, the first things they need to fix in the media player would be at least a 7 band EQ and some subtle audio leveling.

The navigation still sucks in that half the time I still need to use my phone because the Tesla route is slower or otherwise nonsensical. Ridiculous I can use Google Maps on my phone and get a better route than what Tesla picks for me by default a lot of the time.

Other than that, yes it is annoying they have decided to go the "Apple way" by removing customization and making decisions for you. But I do appreciate the overall layout and feel. Hope 8.1 brings more customization. Android Auto or Car Play, like previously mentioned, would also solve a lot of these frustrations.

Reactions: u00mem9
Just updated to 8.0 and I'm sorry that I did. This new UI is a mess. There are no visual indicators of what is a button and what is not. How do I know what is informational and what is actionable? The navigation history popup is now needlessly small and cluttered whereas before it used more screen real estate and was far more readable and pleasing. The little maximize icon in the lower left hand corner of the navigation app no longer has any shading underneath it, so it completely blends with the map lines beneath it. The media app looks like a disaster. The battery charge slider is now much smaller than it used to be, and again, no visual indicator that the little white triangle is actually an actionable slider. It seems almost grotesquely small compared to the way it used to be. Why make it smaller when we have so much screen real estate to make things bigger and more readable? After all, it's a 17" screen that should make things easy for us to read and touch while driving to minimize distraction.

The best version of the UI, in my opinion, was 6.X. It just made sense and was obviously designed with an eye towards usability and visibility. Now we have 8.0 which feels like nothing more than change for change's sake. From this driver's perspective, version 8.0 is a step BACKWARDS in usability, therefore, should not have been implemented in its current form. I get the impression that there is no real, experienced UI team at Tesla. The 6.X UI was apparently designed by someone else who is no longer with Tesla, someone with a lot more experience designing interfaces.