Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Lost or Degraded Capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious: does anyone who's gotten 8.0 actually like the new "modern" media player?

I strongly prefer the new one. Pretty much the main thing I ever do is change music sources and that is far easier now. Adding the abillity to search TuneIn fixes something that has long annoyed me to such a degree that I generally just use the app on my phone and Bluetooth instead of trying to deal with the car's terrible TuneIn interface.

WTF? How did you ever find that.
Trial and error.... trial and error.

I saw in the update notes that there is a way to display the route from your current location to the supercharger and from your current location to the final location through all the superchargers. I didn't see it telling me explicitly how to do it (again, might've been there, but I had limited time to read it at the red light), so I just started clicking around until I figured it out. Thankfully they didn't remove it, but it was not intuitive AT ALL. The compass should have nothing to do with zooming in and out to see the whole trip.

Trial and error.... trial and error... I saw in the update notes... I didn't see it telling me explicitly how to do it (again, might've been there, but I had limited time to read it at the red light) ... but it was not intuitive AT ALL. The compass should have nothing to do with zooming in and out to see the whole trip.

I may get some dislikes for repeating myself after just a handful of posts, but I can't resist...
http://gizmodo.com/any-technology-whose-manual-needs-a-manual-is-bad-techn-1545358234

And xkcd:
manuals.png

After a lifetime of owning very expensive (both to own and maintain) Mercedes vehicles, I am blown away that I now own a vehicle that can be updated for free while it is parked in my garage. Thus the latest tech from the manufacturer can be mine without expending time or money.That is mindblowing!!! Will every update satisfy every Tesla owner? highly unlikely. Are major "glitches" addressed in subsequent updates? so I have heard and until I experience otherwise myself, so I will trust.
I can't remember enjoying a car so much or actually looking forward to my 70 mile roundtrip commute!
You must be new around these parts. After pure speculation, complaining is what we do best around here. ;)

Trial and error.... trial and error.

I saw in the update notes that there is a way to display the route from your current location to the supercharger and from your current location to the final location through all the superchargers. I didn't see it telling me explicitly how to do it (again, might've been there, but I had limited time to read it at the red light), so I just started clicking around until I figured it out. Thankfully they didn't remove it, but it was not intuitive AT ALL. The compass should have nothing to do with zooming in and out to see the whole trip.
Damn, you're good!

Reactions: davidc18 and Max*
I had an interesting experience with auto steer and 8.0 today that I probably need to share with Tesla tomorrow.

There is a curve from Route 81 North to Route 481 East, near Syracuse, NY, that I have taken many--probably dozens--of times with the auto steer engaged and TACC set, with my hands loosely on the wheel, just in case. Until today, the car, if I was at the max speed I set, just a little over the speed limit, would sometimes slow down a bit (in the more recent software versions--the earliest ones it would maintain speed) and would generally wind up very close to the outside shoulder of the curve, but would never require that I take over. NEVER! Today, the first time I took this curve with Version 8, the car would have driven off the road, on the outside part of the curve, if I had not taken over. There was no warning--no "Take Over Now"--nothing. The car simply wasn't going to manage the curve.

Definitely a bug that needs to be worked out somewhere.

8.0 navigation didn't show which side (left or right) of several routed destinations. (There used to be a arrow that pointed to the direction where the destination would be found.) An anomaly or have others observed this also?
Reported Tuesday and got this reply today
Thank you for reaching out to us today. I have gone ahead and confirmed that the previous version does display direction of destination. I will now go ahead and submit a request to our development team to review potentially revisiting this feature.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

I had an interesting experience with auto steer and 8.0 today that I probably need to share with Tesla tomorrow.

There is a curve from Route 81 North to Route 481 East, near Syracuse, NY, that I have taken many--probably dozens--of times with the auto steer engaged and TACC set, with my hands loosely on the wheel, just in case. Until today, the car, if I was at the max speed I set, just a little over the speed limit, would sometimes slow down a bit (in the more recent software versions--the earliest ones it would maintain speed) and would generally wind up very close to the outside shoulder of the curve, but would never require that I take over. NEVER! Today, the first time I took this curve with Version 8, the car would have driven off the road, on the outside part of the curve, if I had not taken over. There was no warning--no "Take Over Now"--nothing. The car simply wasn't going to manage the curve.

Over in the Firmware 8.0 thread I injected some humor into a comment where I quoted reports of dangerous AP behavior from seven different posters over the last day or so: #2722

This is getting to the point where it is no longer funny. It looks like there is a real problem with the new release.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad

Yes, share it with them! Another fellow from NY complained about swerve... maybe there's something in common...

I've never fully trusted AP on curves myself. It hasn't taken me off-road, but it definitely drifts too far to the outside for my comfort.

I'm pressing on the address text in the list of recent chargers visited.

Many thanks for the clarification. I'm not doubting you in any way, but this doesn't work for me. I sat in my car for 10 minutes yesterday fiddling around with the CID and couldn't make this work. It's not something I need right now, so I'm going to stop spending time on it and just put it into the X Files.

(BTW I sent an email to ServiceHelpNA@ documenting this problem, and got back a polite, but not helpful answer...they're going to forward a case to my local service center. My guess is that the person replying to my email has never tried this.)

Bruce.

"One thing we have lost, is the ability to switch audio source from the steering wheel."

Thanks GOD! I dont know how many times I've just wanted to skip a song and it switches the music source... I never ever switch the source from the wheel, I'm for one glad this feature is gone.

Reactions: Lightmatrix
"One thing we have lost, is the ability to switch audio source from the steering wheel."

Thanks GOD! I dont know how many times I've just wanted to skip a song and it switches the music source... I never ever switch the source from the wheel, I'm for one glad this feature is gone.
Umn, no, this has not been lost.

Switch song - tap on up/down
Switch source - long hold up/down

No, your thinking of a different button on the left side. This is the scroll button on the right.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad