Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Lost or Degraded Capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be nice if the "full screen" capability were toggleable (toggle-able?) I would LOVE to be able to have the browser go full screen as well for some of the additional Tesla sites I use when driving. I also find it just a little bit annoying that I cannot see my LTE strength nor Bluetooth connection unless again, I tap on the map.

I agree with the multiple posters about new Autopilot being somewhat more unpredictable, I find it lane drifts outside the lines a bit more now on roads it did not previously. I also see this new phrase pop-up on my HVAC, which for the life of me I cannot remember exactly but something to the effect of, "Fan speed limited by xxx."

It would be nice if the "full screen" capability were toggleable (toggle-able?) I would LOVE to be able to have the browser go full screen as well for some of the additional Tesla sites I use when driving. I also find it just a little bit annoying that I cannot see my LTE strength nor Bluetooth connection unless again, I tap on the map.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question. If you click on the bottom left corner of an app, you toggle between normal size (about half the screen) to full size (almost all the screen). Or are you talking about something else?

Where is the fricken cassette player? I thought that would be included in this so called update...100k car and no cassette player ...unbelievable

And what about the 8 track player? I'm really upset about that.

Seriously, I hope that Elon and other corporate decision makers are reading this thread. This is a major screw up by Tesla. I will not download 8.0 until these issues are addressed, and that may be never as we classic owners get nothing anyway.

• Funny
Reactions: ABVA
I just drove from Charleston SC to New Jersey, and noticed three things.

First, Navigator kept changing recommended charging stops, which caused me to waste time charging the battery well into the taper in a couple of places. Cost me over half an hour more in time than my last trip.
  • Initially, it said to charge at Lumberton, Rocky Mount and Woodbridge. Lumberton was fine - next stop Rocky Mount. That was a long charging stop to "fill up" enough to Woodbridge.
  • Somewhere late into the charging cycle, it decided I needed to stop at Glen Allen, but never indicated anything - no change in charging destination, and more importantly, did not indicate that it had enough charge to reach the next destination. After nearly an hour, I looked at the navigation map and saw that it was now saying to stop at Glen Allen. The remaining energy estimate showed I would have over 30% of battery left when I arrived. I was already well into the taper zone, with 93% charge at this point.
  • Glen Allen said next stop Newark, but shortly after arriving it decided on Woodbridge again. Short charge at Glen Allen since Woodbridge is such a short distance away, then a somewhat longer charge at Woodbridge.
  • I was going to stop at Newark anyway to have a high-percentage charge when I got to NJ, since my destination is in between Newark and Hamilton and I have only 110V 15A charging available at my destination.
I did NOT have this behavior during my two previous trips to NJ.

Second, and rather scarily, the IC did not show several semis in the right-hand adjacent lane - AT ALL. The major problem seems to be with bathtub trailers (gravel trucks and the like). It saw box trailers, flatbeds, and tankers, but did NOT see bathtubs several times! That land showed on the display as clear as I came up upon and passed these trucks. If I had signaled autopilot to move into the right lane before I got close enough for the ultrasonics to detect the wheels, I doner if the car would have moved over? THIS is a bug that needs attention!

Finally, I had the low charge rate problem at a couple of superchargers that others have noted in other threads. In Newark, for example, I was charging at 46kw according to the charging info - with no one else charging in Newark, and about 30% battery charge. I stopped and restarted charging a couple of times, and the rate rose to the more usual 100-105kw. I think this predates 8.0.

One more thing - is there a time limit on bug report now? I started a bug report about these issues, and after about 15 seconds it times out. Never did that before when you had to hold the button down.

One other thing has popped up - Prior to V8, my Android charged pretty handily via the USB, and my fiance's Apple phone did, too. Now my Android charges very slowly, and her Apple will not charge at all. Did V8 restrict the power available at the USB ports?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question. If you click on the bottom left corner of an app, you toggle between normal size (about half the screen) to full size (almost all the screen). Or are you talking about something else?
Sorry late to reply- I mean in the way that they have changed the nav map to fill the entire screen, it would be nice to be able to toggle other "apps" to do the same.

Sorry late to reply- I mean in the way that they have changed the nav map to fill the entire screen, it would be nice to be able to toggle other "apps" to do the same.

That wording still confuses me, but that's ok. Others explained it to me that you are talking about it the app expanding the extra 1-2 inches over the app icons, not toggling from half-size to full-size, which all the apps can do.

so far I am not a fan of 8.0.

MAINLY because i think Autopilot (auto steering) has taken a step back. my first drive with 8.0 had the car hugging the left side of the lane, almost going off the road completely a couple of spots. that never happened previously.

also, the new clean look of the interface is more confusing than it should be. especially the media player, which is a disaster now.
Same here, frightning sometimes.

If we're talking about the Tesla blog, it's at Updates | Tesla. The article posted today says this:
Before activating the features enabled by the new hardware, we will further calibrate the system using millions of miles of real-world driving to ensure significant improvements to safety and convenience. While this is occurring, Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency braking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control.

I don't think it explains a degradation of functionality in older vehicles (Autopilot 1.0). It specifically says "Teslas with new hardware" will have the degraded functionality. Note that TACC is not going to be enabled on new vehicles! That's one of its best features. Probably understandable if this is a complete rewrite and has to be re-qualified for the new hardware, though.

If we're talking about the Tesla blog, it's at Updates | Tesla. The article posted today says this:
Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency braking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control.
Wow. Given the total lack of any commitment from Tesla as to when these features will be (re)enabled, would you (i.e., anyone
here) buy one of these cars today? This is some sort of weird reverse-Osborning. If I had an order pending right now I think I'd
probably cancel it and either look for an inventory/CPO car or wait until Tesla can ship me a car that actually does the things it claimed
to do when I plunked down my $100k.

Wow. Given the total lack of any commitment from Tesla as to when these features will be (re)enabled, would you (i.e., anyone
here) buy one of these cars today? This is some sort of weird reverse-Osborning. If I had an order pending right now I think I'd
probably cancel it and either look for an inventory/CPO car or wait until Tesla can ship me a car that actually does the things it claimed
to do when I plunked down my $100k.

Tesla has said that they expect to have AP1.0 features enabled in AP2.0 in December, 2016. I don't call that a total lack of commitment.