Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Lost or Degraded Capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla really needs to get the software under better control...

The Model S/X displays are large - and have beautiful satellite maps.

Beyond that, especially with the 8.0 changes, the UI has multiple usability problems and still lacks basic functionality present in other cars.

When the Bolt comes out - it will have a smaller display - and probably won't have the nice Google satellite maps. But, it would be very surprising to see the type of UI problems that were introduced in 8.0 - or that the Bolt software will be missing basic features like navigation waypoints or route customization.

I'm an early Model S owner - and continue to be a strong Tesla supporter - with plans to purchase a new Model S and a Model 3.

But Tesla's software continues to be a disappointment - both quality and functionality, and if the Bolt really is competitive to the Model 3, and their software appears to be better, it may be tempting to get a Bolt instead of the Model 3, for our local commuter long range EV.

Tesla... Can you make the long needed improvements to your software development process to produce higher quality releases - and make the changes needed to provide competitive software (compared to what the other vendors will have in their cars)???

I couldn't possibly disagree with your assessment more than I already do... For quite awhile now all you've done is complain and whine about anything and everything Tesla does, and it's really getting a bit old. Your complaints are hilariously petty. 6.X was awful in so many ways it's a little surprising there are some who still hold onto it like "the good old days"...

Version 6.x required much less eyes off the road than version 8.x, in that regard version 8 is a failure. When you are designing a UI for a vehicle, making the experience easily visible, touchable, and executed in a manner that results in LESS distraction is the goal. I don't appreciate having features taken away, features that I have come to rely upon and use on a daily basis. Software updates should add functionality, not remove functionality.

The 8.0 UI is fine, you're just going to complain for the sake of complaining regardless of what Tesla does or does not do. I don't have any of the UI complaints you do, perhaps you should have your eyes checked?

Are you twelve?

I expect Tesla will fix the media player gaffs with regards to loosing the ability to browse your catalog alphabetically, and other not so friendly USB music catalog feature disruptions. That being said, it also wouldn't surprise me if Tesla said "the future is streaming and we're moving the software towards that"...

Tesla has only degraded the infotainment experience in the last three years, what evidence do you have to support your assertion that Tesla will fix the "gaffes" (corrected the spelling for you)? They seem to add more new gaffes than they fix. I'd love to see your evidence to support your line of thinking.

Oh and Tesla is it REALLY so hard to show me my current HVAC operational status like it used to be in 6.X???... See, even I miss something from the past...

Less distraction, I'm glad you agree with me that version 8 is a step backward in functionality.

You really should just relax... Whether or not this is true, it's really quite irrelevant. The new full screen maps view is really stunning and certainly leverages every pixel of that 17" display...
I don't think any owner anywhere needed maps to leverage any more pixels than it already did. Glad Tesla keeps adding features nobody wants while it does nothing to address deficiencies that owners have been pointing out for years. I don't see the connection between expressing disappointment about Tesla's latest software release and being relaxed. Most of the anxiety seems to be coming from Tesla's perpetual defenders who don't think it can do any wrong.

I CANNOT get notification sounds of any sort when my phone is connected to bluetooth. I don't understand why the notification sound coming from my phone doesn't play through the speakers in the car or any type of notification that I have gotten a notification?

The Doge interface in my old truck had it and even read the text. Tesla....nothing

If your phone (iOS in my case) is connected VIA Bluetooth and NOT the selected audio source you will not get any alert sounds from it. If you are listening to a media source from your phone, podcast, audiobook etc.. It will carry the alert signals from txts etc. I don't usually listen to any media from my phone tho so I either disconnect it or connect my ipad instead. \i/ not a real fix by any measure tho.

Reactions: Cnasty
I don't think any owner anywhere needed maps to leverage any more pixels than it already did. Glad Tesla keeps adding features nobody wants while it does nothing to address deficiencies that owners have been pointing out for years. I don't see the connection between expressing disappointment about Tesla's latest software release and being relaxed. Most of the anxiety seems to be coming from Tesla's perpetual defenders who don't think it can do any wrong.

I really wish you'd sell your car and go back to whatever brand you were a fanboy of before you heard of Tesla. Seriously. I am 100% convinced that posters like you, and no you're not the only one but the list is short, would complain even if Tesla did something they wanted. It wouldn't be perfect, it'd be one pixel off or some other really petty complaint along those lines.

I really don't understand the constant negativity, pessimism, and whining that you seem dedicated to put forth. I really don't. No matter what Tesla does, or doesn't do, there is going to be a line of people complaining they didn't do it right or whatever.

There seems to be two things about v8 that are serious critiques, with regards to degraded functionality, that affect a wide number of users.
1. Disregarding USB music listeners. (not going to list every detail that is tied to this)
2. and...???

Everything else with v8 goes back to the same list of "wants" that I think we all here likely share such as, more NAV features such as additional waypoints, multiple route options, sending directions to the car from the app, etc...

As for me, I love the new maps presentation, the new media player (I don't have any USB based music), etc... I haven't found anything in v8 that I really dislike for that matter, everything seems to be an improvement even if it didn't improve as much as we'd have hoped for.

Again, for people like you, none of this matters as you'd still find a way to be critical of Tesla no matter what they do. It's a shame really...

Jeff

I have to chime in on the loss of usability in V8.0. As a classic P85 owner i am primarily noticing the changes in user interface of the map display and media player.

I like to have the map on top which now automatically expands. I cannot see anymore if my iPhone 6s successfully connected (it freqeuently does not) as the Bluetooth icon is hidden. To zoom in or out of the map I now have to tap twice what used to be a single tap before. Same for the app icons. Has anyone requested more real estate for the map display before this change? Finally the media player interface is so cluttered now that It is unsafe to be used while driving IMO. I want 7.1 back.

Well - finally updated and took a 200 mi trip. Aesthetically pleasing to me but functionality took a couple of steps back. Running AP I had 3 occasions where AP swerved another direction. I am confident that had I not been holding the wheel there was great potential for an accident. Several occasions when the car quickly slowed down and came back up to speed with nothing nearby. Navigation was all messed up. Had me doing loops and cutbacks adding many miles had I blindly followed it. Not even going to mention the audio and lack of waypoints, etc....and the new frequency of the nag is annoying. The car remains awesome, but this stuff is going to bite them in the arse if they can't get their act together.

I have to chime in on the loss of usability in V8.0. As a classic P85 owner i am primarily noticing the changes in user interface of the map display and media player.

I like to have the map on top which now automatically expands. I cannot see anymore if my iPhone 6s successfully connected (it freqeuently does not) as the Bluetooth icon is hidden. To zoom in or out of the map I now have to tap twice what used to be a single tap before. Same for the app icons.

I imagine that people would still grumble, but probably grumbled less if they had the map expansion not cover the top status bar and just cover the app icons.

Reactions: Chris
I imagine that people would still grumble, but probably grumbled less if they had the map expansion not cover the top status bar and just cover the app icons.

That and making the 7000k songs on my USB stick into 2nd class citizens. I also noticed that "shuffle" on my USB now selects all the same songs in the same order for "shuffle". How about a new seed and "re-shuffle" every time it is turned on? And this in addition to nuking all my Favorites. C'mon - this is basic stuff.

Reactions: Chris
Nothing wrong with criticality. No one, or organization is perfect. However, at some point, when all you have to offer is whining and complaining perhaps you should seek resolution elsewhere...

Jeff

Actually Jeff, since this is a thread specifically created to list and complain about ways the 8.0 update is worse than previous, maybe you should seek resolution elsewhere.

"shuffle" on my USB now selects all the same songs in the same order for "shuffle". How about a new seed and "re-shuffle" every time it is turned on?
Isn't the real problem here that it doesn't "pick up where it left off" in the whole-catalog shuffle each time? I personally find my iPod nano's reshuffle-every-time-I-restart-it behavior annoying, since it means I end up hearing some of the same songs repeatedly and other songs only very rarely, if at all.

Reported Tuesday and got this reply today
Thank you for reaching out to us today. I have gone ahead and confirmed that the previous version does display direction of destination. I will now go ahead and submit a request to our development team to review potentially revisiting this feature.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again.
Actually this feature has moved. It is now found on the left side of the instrumental panel display (in front of steering wheel) during navigation. But it only shows up at the end of the trip when you can finally see the destination pin on the screen. There will be a small left or right arrow next to the pin. Although I'm glad that this feature is not lost I wish they would additionally keep it in the main screen because you cannot see it until the end of the trip. I try to plan in advance so that my destination is on the right hand side if I am dropping off passengers.

Actually this feature has moved. It is now found on the left side of the instrumental panel display (in front of steering wheel) during navigation. But it only shows up at the end of the trip when you can finally see the destination pin on the screen. There will be a small left or right arrow next to the pin. Although I'm glad that this feature is not lost I wish they would additionally keep it in the main screen because you cannot see it until the end of the trip. I try to plan in advance so that my destination is on the right hand side if I am dropping off passengers.

On my 7.1 car, I get the indicator on the instrument cluster/IC Nav panel and it often (for me) is in disagreement with the one on the 17"/CID. So what you are seeing now is likely what was available before (perhaps the graphical representation of it changed though).

I know I sound like a broken record, but 99.99999% of these issues would go away if they just damn well introduced CarPlay.
Seriously tesla - making a media player is not your thing. Just make a decent car and let other app developers offer the media and nav experience.

Might be hard to convince yourself to adopt Car Play when Apple poaches your engineers to build what is believed to be a product that will squarely compete with most/all of your business line.

Alan

Reactions: MP3Mike
Might be hard to convince yourself to adopt Car Play when Apple poaches your engineers to build what is believed to be a product that will squarely compete with most/all of your business line.

Not to mention adopting Car Play doesn't really help. It makes a subset of your customers happier, but does nothing for the rest. OK, now you have to adopt Android Auto as well. Great, now more of your customers are happy but you still have to maintain the Tesla nav/media player for the customers that have a Windows Mobile smart phone or no smart phone at all. (Not to mention you would need Apple and Google to extend Car Play/Android Auto to include charging stops in the Nav or it isn't a viable solution.)

So really Car Play/Android Auto just costs you money and makes things more complicated.

Reactions: davidc18
Look, dude. I love my wife, but that doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement in our marriage relationship. This is having an "adult-like / non-fanboi" relationship with Tesla. It doesn't mean I am trading for a Mercedes S anytime soon or even for the rest of my life.
Would you drive a Bolt while your Tesla was charging? Rudy G. insists everyone does it... ;)

AutoPilot is definitely more dangerous in 8.0 than it was in 7.1. I have had several close-calls where if I had not taking over, I would have veered off the road, into another vehicle, or slammed into the back of a slow-moving vehicle in my lane in front of me.

AP is definitely smoother in terms of acceleration and deceleration, but I can't use it as I seriously fear for my life. Not good.

I also cannot fathom why temperature controls now go straight from 81 to HI, instead of 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, HI. :(

Reactions: Lightmatrix