Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Music Player Unusable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the [email protected] address still work? I've never sent them anything, never had a real complaint about the car in almost 4 years of ownership, but this Media Player is horrific. Like others we have a USB stick for our music and it is unusable in 8.0. Why couldn't they have left the alphabet on the right side to jump to that letter? There's plenty of real estate and it worked perfectly in previous versions. Boggles the mind.

Reactions: GasKilla
Anyone know how to reorder the FM radio stations? My stations are now all mixed up between LA and San Francisco radio stations and annoying to jump from station to station easily in the order I want to.
No way that I'm aware of. I had to delete all my radio presets and add them back in from right to left (because, you know, that makes sense). Plus it seems like it randomly adds streaming searches to my favorites even though I didn't select the heart icon. -<whee>-

Does the [email protected] address still work? I've never sent them anything, never had a real complaint about the car in almost 4 years of ownership, but this Media Player is horrific. Like others we have a USB stick for our music and it is unusable in 8.0. Why couldn't they have left the alphabet on the right side to jump to that letter? There's plenty of real estate and it worked perfectly in previous versions. Boggles the mind.
No that email address was discontinued. It probably got too full every time they took away a piece of information displayed or a functionality with updates. We only have the service email address now.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Meanwhile, I'm dealing with a poster on the tesla.com forum that insists we are morons for complaining about the USB playing. He suggests finding the appropriate software on the owner's PC or Mac to modify tags so that the 8.0 player will do such niceties as playing an album in track order. Grrrr.

He ignores the fact that all music worked perfectly in 7.1 (yes, there were the other nits about the audio system that are now fixed, and I appreciate it) and every other device, but now fails in the 8.0 version of Tesla's firmware. I have a mixture of .MP3s and .FLAC files. Grrrr.
He's an idiot. All my MP3 files are properly tagged, and the player still does not play an album in track order if I browse to it any way other than via the now-useless "Album" view (now-useless because I have about 600 albums on my usb stick, and that view does not organize them by artist, so finding any particular album would require hundreds of swipes without accidentally clicking -- impossible in a moving car)

Contact | Tesla

In the "topic" drop down menu, choose "Owner feedback."

I actually got an email response that essentially said "Thank you for your comments about USB playback in 8.0. We can't guarantee that your complaint will be fixed, but it has been noted." So someone is reading them at least. If they read enough of them maybe we can make something happen

• Helpful
Reactions: strider and David29
Why couldn't they have left the alphabet on the right side to jump to that letter? There's plenty of real estate and it worked perfectly in previous versions. Boggles the mind.
my thoughts exactly. I spent an enormous amount of time trying to find a way to scroll down my thousands of songs/albums/artists and if you want to find something outside of the "A"s the player is totally worthless. I thought the new search function would help, it doesn't. Also why did they get rid of the the "now playing" menu? My player was playing something but I couldn't find out where it was coming from, probably a glitch but I couldn't confirm it because of the lack of a "now playing" button

Reactions: rxlawdude
I have always got responses when I sent feedback through that link. Often even more personalized than that. Sometimes it also triggers a back and forth conversation across a few emails. The person at the other end even signs his name.

The issues I reported never got fixed or the feature I requested never really got out though. So I wouldn't hold my breath, even though I am going to complain on that link anyway, again.

Mine seems to skip to the next song every time I get about 45 seconds from the end of a song on slacker... Anyone else having this issue on 8.0? Autopilot better, music player worse, icon hiding lame.
Yes, I've been having the same problem with Slacker on 8.0. At first I thought it was a connectivity glitch but it happened in many locations and I never had that issue before the upgrade.

I just sent this (sent something similar directly to him yesterday)... Maybe it'll help.
TweettoMusk-MediaPlayer.JPG

Anyone else having problems getting an ipod to connect through USB? Unfortunately I never tried this ipod when I was on 7.1, so not sure if it's an 8.0 problem or something else. It will connect through Bluetooth.

cause adding a streamingservice would make more sense.

Sure, if you're somewhere that has constant cellular connectivity. I live in the foothills of the Sierras. Cell reception is extremely spotty. I can't use any streaming data until I get out on a freeway 20 miles away.

Tesla seems to have the same problem Apple does - they assume everyone has an always on, always free, unlimited, super-fast data internet connection. Like Apple, all testing occurs in labs with super fast local networks with servers on the same network; no internet delays. That's not the real world.