Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Music Player Unusable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's unrealistic to think that Tesla would have the resources to dedicate a team solely on media player. We can only hope they fix the current bugs and possibly have a sympathetic ear to new ideas to improve the media player.

No offense to you, but the "resources" thing is the most nonsensical argument to me. Tesla has plenty of human resources, they are simply not being utilized effectively. Tesla has gone on a hiring spree the last two years. They have HUNDREDS of software engineers. Yet nobody at Tesla, out of those hundreds of software engineers or even their managers, is able to devote any resources to making the media player and navigation system competitive. While I'm on it, they don't even have any real UI designers judging by what I see in 8.0. They are "learning on the job". At best that shows a lack of will at the top, at worst incompetency.

I'm being realistic. We haven't seen the SDK, mirroring, many of the 7.x bug that were never fixed. And if Elon is true to his words, we may finally see a new browser in December. They have Model 3 on the horizon. Their refresh on the Media Player causes more issues than it fixes although it's going in the right direction. I'd be fine with it for MY needs if they fix the shuffle but I'm probably in the minority.

The Winamp and empeg team had one thing to concentrate on so of course their product is going to be polished.

If they had an SDK out, I'm sure there would be plenty of Media Player options and Tesla wouldn't have to worry about their buggy player.

Too many broken promises, and Tesla keeps doing it because there are no consequences.

Some don't believe its a new bug with 8.0. Other threads also report what's happening is with the same set of songs that can potentially be played on a USB device, if you press "random shuffle", Media Player will start playing that track and from there play though what at first appears to be random tracks -- but then if you go off, maybe reboot the CID with the same stick in place, and come back to that same list again, then select the same first song where you originally turned on "random shuffle", the same subsequent sequence of songs you heard the first time is played again... and over and over.

IMHO and others that have coded random number generators, it comes down to Tesla is not using a random-enough seed in its "random shuffle" algorithm. A great workaround is to just select a different song when you begin "random shuffle" and the sequence will become different based on that song you select... In other words, Tesla's "random shuffle" isn't random enough for some of us that pay close attention. ;)

The random seed should be based on the computer's clock. I learned that in 10th grade.

The random seed should be based on the computer's clock. I learned that in 10th grade.
Wellll, I guess this dates me, but there was no computer science course when I was in 10tg grade. But, there are 2 ways to go non-sequential:

hash key, which applies an algorithm to current track to get next track. Because hash key is a constant, non-sequential order will be same until you change list.

Random number within range. Clock as good a way to generate as any.

Tesla clearly uses hash key.

Clearly Tesla isn't paying attention to what is being written in these forums. Here's an idea. Elon's loves publicity. How about we buy a few full page advertisements, or maybe half page advertisements and plead our case in public regarding the Navigation and Media Player, both of which took major steps backwards with 8.0.

From my experience and reading, AP 8.0 is sort of neutral to 7.1, better in some areas, worse in others, clearly not the breakthrough that EM suggested it would be. As far as I can tell it was just way for Tesla to break with MobilEye, technology A replaced Technology B, but the functionality is about the same. In any case, I don't think the AP should be the subject of public ads, I would limit it to Navigation and Media Player from the perspective of both functionality (features broken, features missing) and UI/UX.

I'm absolutely serious. We could launch a gofundme campaign and all the unhappy Tesla owners who want to send Elon a message can chip in. We'll buy the biggest ad(s) we can afford in the newspapers most likely to capture his attention. We could start with the local Palo Alto paper, and if funding permits, move up to the SJ Mercury, or the WSJ. MS and MX owners both contribute. We'll put together a "top 5" list in both Nav and Media Player for the ad with a link to a web site where we provide a more comprehensive list.

The goal is to publicly shame Tesla into making changes in the software by pleading that these changes are good for customers and thus good for Tesla.
You are about to find out the cost of print ads. I highly recommend either go with short list only or carefully vet the longer list. This group tends to get passionate about a lot of ideas, not all high priority. A list of 50 things will destroy credibility of effort. It will look like nit picking.

I have a USB drive with several thousand songs on it. Every time the car wakes up, it takes 8 MINUTES to scan the drive. This means I can't listen to my USB songs for 8 minutes after I get in the car.

Absolutely ridiculous. It's like nobody even tested the USB stuff with a decent sized music collection.

I have energy saving turned on in the car--haven't determined if that's the cause yet.

Seriously? Has anyone else confirmed this? The figurative "unusable" appears to be changing to a *literal* "unusable"!!!!!:eek:
I cannot like this enough! 'Zactly. If it absolutely 100% relies on live Internet connectivity to function, I distrust it, dislike it, or hate it. Streaming: when I try to stream anything (video, music, whatever) it never works flawlessly. There are hiccups at the very least, or worse, it stops and I have to manually start it again. If it works at all. Do I have that problem with local files? Not at all. I can listen to any part of my entire music collection anywhere ... for free ... no connections to nothin' required! :mad:
</rant>

Yeah, like I was saying ... can we stop optimising for always-online stream-cloud everything already? :confused:
Look, I know I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to add an Australian voice to the clamour: Please, FIX THE USB INTERFACE, Tesla. Fix it.

I don't have a car yet but can I assume that all of you are reporting these issues to Tesla?
The frustration is that owners have been reporting issues in great detail through every available channel for 6-18 months, and reply was 8.0 which is pretty much a "huh?" on the part of Tesla.

You are about to find out the cost of print ads. I highly recommend either go with short list only or carefully vet the longer list. This group tends to get passionate about a lot of ideas, not all high priority. A list of 50 things will destroy credibility of effort. It will look like nit picking.

Yes, I agree which is why I suggested that the ad contain the "top 5" for each of Nav and Media Player. If I wrote "50" somewhere else then I apologize for the confusion.

And it's not like they don't have the real estate to actually leave the alpha option right were it was. And it's laggy. And it jumps back to the top. And...And...

On a related note, I have moved away from a Sandisk USB key (way too much heat) to a Samsung. Much cooler. The only thing is that it's while and clashed with my black interior, but a good sharpie took care of that. Call it attention to details unlike the UX people at Tesla.
Care to name the exact model? I use Sandisk USBs- they get quite hot, which can't be good... never had a failure, though.
I have to say, I am coming to know all the music by ABC and ABBA much better now..

Look, I know I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to add an Australian voice to the clamour: Please, FIX THE USB INTERFACE, Tesla. Fix it.

YES! FIX THE USB INTERFACE! ....sorry about the shouting...although I'd use larger caps if I could...I really feel angry every time I encounter these issues...which is basically every time I get in the car...

Reactions: empire80
YES! FIX THE USB INTERFACE! ....sorry about the shouting...although I'd use larger caps if I could...I really feel angry every time I encounter these issues...which is basically every time I get in the car...
I hope y'all are writing tesla. This forum may be good for venting, but it is not a formal feedback channel.

Reactions: ICUDoc
This one: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-128G...TOC2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476571550&sr=8-2

Works great, stays cool and barely visible in the car when sharpie'ed.
Hmmm. My approach HAD been to put whole collection on terrabyte drive and depend on media player to navigate, so I've scoffed at these little dongles. But ther is some logic here. What if I bought 10 of them and put different genres/playlists on them? Kind of like 8 tracks, but bigger? Slap in the one I'm in the mood for each drive? Nah!

Hmmm. My approach HAD been to put whole collection on terrabyte drive and depend on media player to navigate, so I've scoffed at these little dongles. But ther is some logic here. What if I bought 10 of them and put different genres/playlists on them? Kind of like 8 tracks, but bigger? Slap in the one I'm in the mood for each drive? Nah!
That's what some people are already doing -- multiple USB sticks to assist with organization. I refuse to physically clutter my cockpit up with all that and am sort of being a die hard attempting to use a single stick, and when that does not work or i get too frustrated, turn on my $5.99/month SirisuXM station. It's sad, I know. ;)

Last edited:

Yeah, I am "lucky" to have a lot less music than that, so it works for me. I think I would be too lazy to have to juggle multiple drives too.

On the other hand, if you don't label your multiple USB drives and pick them randomly, all of a sudden, shuffling is now available in 8.0.

btw, is it just me or does your sig kinda read like an online dating profile? o_O

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: int32_t and ICUDoc
This morning, I sent a polite note to [email protected] listing my 2-3 top issues with the media player under 8.0. Just over 12 hours later (on a Saturday, no less), I got a response similar to what others have noted... "your message will be routed to the correct department... blah, blah" So that worked, meh.
I have RSVP'd for one of the local Tesla socials at the end of the month where they plan to show owners some features of 8.0. There's usually a Q&A session involved where I plan to rattle off the list of issues noted in this thread if they have not been addressed via update by then. The audience is owners, we should be in good company and speak with one voice.

This morning, I sent a polite note to [email protected] listing my 2-3 top issues with the media player under 8.0. Just over 12 hours later (on a Saturday, no less), I got a response similar to what others have noted... "your message will be routed to the correct department... blah, blah" So that worked, meh.
I have RSVP'd for one of the local Tesla socials at the end of the month where they plan to show owners some features of 8.0. There's usually a Q&A session involved where I plan to rattle off the list of issues noted in this thread if they have not been addressed via update by then. The audience is owners, we should be in good company and speak with one voice.
Just be prepared, there are owners who do not use USB, just streaming and radio. They may not rise up with you. It will be interesting to see level of support. Please post afterwards!