Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Music Player Unusable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just find I hardly ever use the media now.

I'm not really one for complaining about this sort of thing and tend to just get used to the interface but ..

The auto-hiding top menu means I have to press additional buttons just to get to the media which with the interface delays I really dont like
The spotify is so heavily compressed that the SQ really is poor
The UHFS is not exactly stellar in the first place
the voice commands are flaky at best and you cant switch sources or at least not that I can make work eg "Select USB/Radio etc"
my USB stick - new + newly formatted Sandisk has to be unplugged every time and replugged back in to work

not a stellar experience really. I just have to hope Tesla continue to work on this and future updates will offer improvements.

Yeah, so I really don't want to give Tesla a pass here because I think the media player needs major attention even beyond USB playback (restarting Podcasts back to the beginning just like USB audio tracks comes to mind). But for the last month, I've just had my 64GB One Plus 2 hooked up via Bluetooth that I only need to charge once per week. I'm running PowerAmp on it with auto-start playback on Bluetooth connect. 1st, here are the downsides:
  • down-sampling to 256kbps so 320 and FLAC take one for the team.
  • Search works great, but haven't figured out a good way to do it without running off the road.
  • The Tesla reads every track with 1:30 elapsed and 2:20 remaining with no progression of the time marker. USB audio did this as well at random times so I know it's definitely the car's fault. i can still time-seek on the phone screen fairly easily.

Upsides:
  • Random is totally and completely random. I've never heard the same song twice, it always works.
  • Crossfade on manual Next Track, superb. Gapless playback on natural track progression, superb. I never knew how nice those features were until I actually had them working. 10 band equalizer that I can set, superb.
  • Also I can choose from equalizer presets for music and audiobooks.
  • The car *seems* to be taking care of album art really really well since I dont have a cellular connection to the phone. Although who knows, maybe PowerAmp downloaded everything via wifi when I wasn't looking.
  • Zero scan times, fast searches
$3 android app with better features and implementation than the six figure car. Growing disappointment is really the only term I can use to describe how I feel about having to use some 3rd party workaround. Who knows, maybe 8.1 will be a Christmas miracle. If past software dev is any indication, I won't hold my breath. But I will be the first person to eat crow if they knock it out of the park this time.

Correction: many people are experiencing the equalizer reset bug. ;)

There is a 10-page thread in which the following TMC members have all reported experiencing this same problem:
@Droschke, @kort677, @patrick40363, @sbtz, @msnow, @Alex D, @NOLA_Mike, @Merrill, @supratachophobia, @RichardL, @PaulR, @azred, @hmmm, @SW2Fiddler, @Chopr147, @f-stop, @mrElbe, @Skipdd, @JohnnyG, @MorrisonHiker, @fallen888, @Majorfubar, @tinm, @Babasnoopy, @marty2112, @steven315, @mknox, @thecloud, @JasonA-EV, @Zeromus-X, @RonMathMD, @habanero69, @CnSDroz, @ArtInCT, @SabrToothSqrl.

@Drone Flyer reports that Tesla service is aware of the bug and it is supposed to be fixed in the next update.

Glad it's not happening to @sorka though! :D

Correction: many people are experiencing the equalizer reset bug. ;)

There is a 10-page thread in which the following TMC members have all reported experiencing this same problem:
@Droschke, @kort677, @patrick40363, @sbtz, @msnow, @Alex D, @NOLA_Mike, @Merrill, @supratachophobia, @RichardL, @PaulR, @azred, @hmmm, @SW2Fiddler, @Chopr147, @f-stop, @mrElbe, @Skipdd, @JohnnyG, @MorrisonHiker, @fallen888, @Majorfubar, @tinm, @Babasnoopy, @marty2112, @steven315, @mknox, @thecloud, @JasonA-EV, @Zeromus-X, @RonMathMD, @habanero69, @CnSDroz, @ArtInCT, @SabrToothSqrl.

@Drone Flyer reports that Tesla service is aware of the bug and it is supposed to be fixed in the next update.

Glad it's not happening to @sorka though! :D
You forgot me..... Everyone always forgets @supratachophobia

• Funny
Reactions: sorka and MP3Mike
Ninja edit, nice work. Also, album playlist I was on when leaving the car last night was at the end in the morning. So same issue where music is being "played" while charging is persistent.
There was no 'Ninja edit'. Your name was there in the original post. Posts aren't editable after a few minutes, so I could not have changed it in response to your post.

Edit: and I've also seen the album playback issue you mention, plus I am seeing the "multiple album entries for different artists in a compilation, even though the compilation flag is set in the ID3 tag" bug.

Reactions: supratachophobia
Egg on my face, as they say....

I was wondering why no one else was reporting a "random resetting of the Fader control". I reported as such, along with the equalizer resetting, to Tesla.

Turns out that the random resetting of the fader was of my doing:( I opened up the equalizer/Fader window to adjust the equalizer and when finished I pressed the "X" in the upper left corner to close the screen (so I thought), but it seems that in attempting to hit the "X" I was also touching the fader screen and causing it to reset to the back-left of the car.

I wrote back to Tesla and made them aware. They probably will get a good laugh out of this.

Sometimes it really comes down to an ESO problem.... Equipment Superior to Operator!;)

• Funny
Reactions: jgs
I heard that one from a AAA driver a number of years ago. When he came to help me fix a blown tire, I asked him what was the most common problem he was called on to solve? He replied "ESO". He said that you cannot imagine how many people don't even know how to insert the key and turn on the ignition!

Guess that's why most manufacturers have eliminated the need to insert keys nowadays..... ;)