Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 TACC on exit ramps no longer adjusts speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7.1 introduced a feature that, if you were in the far right lane and had your right blinker on, TACC would slow you down coming up an off-ramp. This was really nice because you could let the car slow you down without having to do a TACC disable/control takeover that felt less graceful.

upload_2016-9-28_13-38-38.png

That feature now seems completely removed, as I find myself rocketing down the off-ramp in 8.0.

Anyone else confirm that's happening?

7.1 introduced a feature that, if you were in the far right lane and had your right blinker on, TACC would slow you down coming up an off-ramp. This was really nice because you could let the car slow you down without having to do a TACC disable/control takeover that felt less graceful.

View attachment 196702

That feature now seems completely removed, as I find myself rocketing down the off-ramp in 8.0.

Anyone else confirm that's happening?
plenty of videos showing exactly that on Youtube.

Reactions: JenniferQ
Seriously folks this kind of stuff is ridiculous. I get that its a messageboard and everyone can say what they want, its for discussion, etc so not necessarily saying you shouldnt post...although thats my opinion which is worth about as much as you paid for it ;)

Any time an OEM releases a new model, or new features, everyone finds all these things to complain about. Lets take a step back here. You're seriously complaining that your car that is autonomously driving down the highway, switching lanes autonomously, dodging potholes autonomously, etc....when this car autonomously switches into an exit lane, it doesn't automatically slow the car down? Are we going to complain about stoplights, what else? All this stuff will come in due time.

To say "its dangerous" implies that there is some negligence on Tesla's part in this update...which is ridiculous. It may be inconvenient, it may be annoying, but to say that its dangerous that your beta autonomous car doesn't do everything autonomously and it's actually dangerous of Tesla to make a change?

I just think we can all get a bit overboard about this stuff.

Complaining about functionality that never existed may not make a lot of sense. But I don't think it's unreasonable to be upset when functionality is removed. Tesla had done this several times with AP. It's great that tesla is the only company to add features to a car after purchase, but along with that comes ability to take away or degraded features, and that sucks. While I'm out one of them, there are a lot of people who would like to go back to the pre-7.0 UI. I'd definitely like to go back to the pre-nag and pre-speed restricted AP.

I was under the impression that 8.0 AP signalling/exit behaviour was designed for freeway interchanges not exit ramps and as the first step in eventually allowing 8.1 to follow routes using navigation. In that context, it makes sense to maintain speed through an interchange.

I wasn't aware that AP/TACC would reduce speed at exit ramps in 7.1, as I always turned AP off shortly before exiting,

Followup questions: if AP/TACC is supposed to slow down when taking an exit ramp, what speed should it slow down to? And, after taking a freeway exit ramp, would you still want AP on anyway?

Reactions: David29
It IS dangerous to change how something operates without explaining that change in the release notes. You learn how to operate something and then you expect it to respond appropriately in the future. An unexpected response on your smartphone is a pain, an unexpected response in a 2 ton vehicle traveling 70mph can be deadly.

Great sign that when a feature is dropped, they don't mention it in the release notes. Form before function.

Complaining about functionality that never existed may not make a lot of sense. But I don't think it's unreasonable to be upset when functionality is removed. Tesla had done this several times with AP
Autopilot was "beta" when it was released in 2015 and it is still in "beta" as we approach the end of 2016. It is obviously a work in progress. Tesla is pushing the envelope and it would not surprise me to learn that in with some aspects of AP they have had to pull back temporarily while in other ways they are certainly moving forward and are out in front of the competition.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
From the blog (Upgrading Autopilot: Seeing the World in Radar):

Will take highway exit if indicator on (8.0) or if nav system active (8.1). Available in the United States initially

To me this says if you are in the rightmost lane and there is an exit and you have your indicator on, the car should take the exit and logically start to reduce speed. As to how much to reduce speed, the car already automatically determines how much to reduce speed on tight curves, so I don't think it would be much of a stretch to decide how much to slow down on an exit ramp.

Autopilot was "beta" when it was released in 2015 and it is still in "beta" as we approach the end of 2016. It is obviously a work in progress. Tesla is pushing the envelope and it would not surprise me to learn that in with some aspects of AP they have had to pull back temporarily while in other ways they are certainly moving forward and are out in front of the competition.

Thank you! Exactly! Have people lost ALL sense of accountability??? Take responsibility for yourself and your vehicle. are you not responsible for the control of your own car? This is beta, this is what you signed up for, not to just say "oh well the car isn't automatically doing what it should" - there is no "what it should!" Don't like it, don't sign up for it.

Seriously folks this kind of stuff is ridiculous. I get that its a messageboard and everyone can say what they want, its for discussion, etc so not necessarily saying you shouldnt post...although thats my opinion which is worth about as much as you paid for it ;)

Any time an OEM releases a new model, or new features, everyone finds all these things to complain about. Lets take a step back here. You're seriously complaining that your car that is autonomously driving down the highway, switching lanes autonomously, dodging potholes autonomously, etc....when this car autonomously switches into an exit lane, it doesn't automatically slow the car down? Are we going to complain about stoplights, what else? All this stuff will come in due time.

To say "its dangerous" implies that there is some negligence on Tesla's part in this update...which is ridiculous. It may be inconvenient, it may be annoying, but to say that its dangerous that your beta autonomous car doesn't do everything autonomously and it's actually dangerous of Tesla to make a change?

I just think we can all get a bit overboard about this stuff.

As I mentioned in my post, this is a regression. The car used to do this reliably, as of 7.1. It is no longer doing this reliably. Although, important to note: it behaved correctly on my way home tonight. Trying to figure out why it didn't on my way into work when it normally does.

Also, this is NOT an AP issue. It's a TACC issue. You could roll down the exit ramp with TACC on before and it would lower your speed (though it would still show the Max you had set.) Actually, I wonder if having AP engaged effectively causes it to not do this like when you just have TACC...

Did Tesla ever document the 7.1 off-ramp behavior?

See my OP, that image is from their release notes.

Followup questions: if AP/TACC is supposed to slow down when taking an exit ramp, what speed should it slow down to? And, after taking a freeway exit ramp, would you still want AP on anyway?

TACC, not AP. And it doesn't tell you. It just... slows down. When it worked tonight, I had TACC set to 75 and as I rode up the exit ramp, it dropped itself down to 35 or so before I had to take control anyway. It did this with TACC still engaged.

It's not about leaving AP on through the entire exit event, it's about using TACC when you're exiting and having the car conveniently anticipate that you'll want to slow down for this part. You do still disengage it, of course, when you have to make your turn or come to a stop, but it was a nice touch. Again, it did end up working for me on my way home tonight, so it hasn't been completely removed.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
Thank you! Exactly! Have people lost ALL sense of accountability??? Take responsibility for yourself and your vehicle. are you not responsible for the control of your own car? This is beta, this is what you signed up for, not to just say "oh well the car isn't automatically doing what it should" - there is no "what it should!" Don't like it, don't sign up for it.

That's not how any of this works. "Beta" isn't code for "we can be sloppy about how we degrade existing functionality." There is a tacit understanding that they're asking users to learn how the system operates, and its limitations, so that they can know when to rely on it and when they'll need to take over.

In the same way that I know on a too-sharp curve that I need to take over, if Tesla were to release an update that caused even shallow curves to no longer work on AP, I would expect them to communicate this to me because it's a step backward and the way it works now is something I'm used to and adjust my habits and behavior around.

If an update doubled following distances for each of the TACC settings, I would expect Tesla to communicate this because figuring it out empirically would probably be unsafe. When you introduce a regression in functionality that a) users have gotten used to, and b) controls the speed of a moving vehicle (or fails to), "it's beta" isn't a good enough excuse.

Again, I'll amend my initial post to add that it did function correctly tonight, so I'm wondering why the last two times under similar conditions, it didn't. It's possible I'm doing something different and not realizing it, or that having AP engaged over TACC doesn't engage it, or I'm thinking I had the blinker on but I didn't, so will research more and report back.

Here's the entire quote from the Model S Owner's Manual:

"In right hand traffic, engaging the right turn signal when driving in the right-most lane within 164 feet (50 meters) of an exit (on a restricted access road only, such as a highway or freeway), causes Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to assume you are exiting. As a result, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control begins to slow down the vehicle. Likewise in left hand traffic, when engaging the left turn signal when driving in the left-most lane within 164 feet (50 meters) of an exit. The onboard GPS (Global Positioning System) determines if you are driving in a region with right or left hand traffic. In situations where GPS data is unavailable (for example, inadequate signal), engaging the turn signal near an exit does not cause Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to slow down the vehicle. "

It would seem that the GPS is playing a larger role in this than we think. Sometimes it will know to slow down, sometimes if doesn't think it should slow down.