Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 USB Media Player workaround

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While not a perfect replacement for the existing 8.0 USB Media behavior, the following workaround might benefit many owners of large CD collections. (In our case10,000 songs.) Credit due to my girlfriend who noticed that the USB “Folder” functionality was accessing individual Artist “Folders” on our USB drive and also to “JeffB” who, in a prior post, noted that placing artist folders in alphabetical subfolders greatly improved Artist access. I have extended Jeff’s idea of alphabetized folders to a single screen with no scrolling for initial Artist access, and I have identified a simple song renaming convention that will list songs within Albums in numerical order while still preserving random and looping play. The technique can also be used to create and access playlists. The procedure outlined below is for a Mac OS X user, but the technique should work equally well with equivalent Windows tools. Entire procedure takes about 30 minutes of attended time and up to several hours of unattended processing time depending on the size of your collection.

Step 1: If you haven’t already, format a USB drive in Windows FAT32 format. We used a 128GB SanDisk USB 3.0 memory stick.
Step 2: Copy your iTunes folder (User>Music>iTunes>iTunes Music) to the USB drive.
Step 3: Rename the drive to a one word label of your choosing. We labeled ours “Music.”
Step 4: Create 9 new folders labeled ABC, DEF, GHI, JKL, MNO, PQR, STU, VWXY.
Step 5: Drag and drop Artist folders alphabetically into the three-letter folders as appropriate. This can be done in batches by holding down the shift key and clicking a first Artist and then clicking the last Artist you want to move and dragging into the desired three letter folder.

Note: For some users that just want quick access and who don’t care about track order they can stop here.

Step 6: Obtain an MP3 Tag renaming app. We used the $5.99, “Music Tag Editor,” available in the Apple App Store.
Step 7: Using “Music Tag Editor,” select all nine alphabetized folders and drag onto the “Music Tag Editor” file/folder box.
Step 8: At the end of the “Title” tag, check the “Use File name” box.
Step 9: At the top of the “Title” tag, check the “Apply to all” box.
Step 10: Click the “Save All” icon in the menu bar and when the save dialog pops up check the “Overwrite files” checkbox.
Step 11. Wait until the new Title tags have been written back to the USB drive by monitoring the progress indicator. This might take several hours depending on the size of your collection.
Step 12: Eject USB drive, install in your Tesla, and enjoy!

To operate: Wait for Tesla to scan drive; press USB source button; press USB drive name (ours is “Music”); press “Folders”; and you will see a single screen containing the 9 alphabetized folders. Press a folder button and select/scroll to the desired artist, then album, then song. Press the USB Source button again at any time to go back up the menu structure.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it is actually pretty straight forward and returns much of the 7.1 functionality.

Tesla USB 1.jpg

Tesla USB 2.jpg

Tesla USB 3.jpg

Tesla USB 4.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion, good workaround.

On a related topic, did anyone notice that we the latest 8.0 update, the "scroll back to top by default" ahem, "feature" is gone? I guess this gives me hope than 1) they are listening (pun intended) and 2) we may see additional fixes soon.

I just installed version 8.0 - 2.42.40 last night. Looks like the USB Alpha select column on the right side is back for the song list selection.

Unfortunately, song sorting in the "Folders" view is still broken. It still ignores the filenames and track numbers, just sorting alphabetically by song title.

Is it that hard to just sort the files by filename?
Why do they insist on punishing those of us who actually bother to organize our music files how we see fit?

Unfortunately, song sorting in the "Folders" view is still broken. It still ignores the filenames and track numbers, just sorting alphabetically by song title.

Is it that hard to just sort the files by filename?
Why do they insist on punishing those of us who actually bother to organize our music files how we see fit?
A better question is why can't they make something this simple work correctly? All my other cars (with mp3 playback) work correctly out of the box.

Tesla software updates bring new features? More like bug fixes that shouldn't exist in the first place on delivery.

A better question is why can't they make something this simple work correctly? All my other cars (with mp3 playback) work correctly out of the box.

Tesla software updates bring new features? More like bug fixes that shouldn't exist in the first place on delivery.
I have music in an album and separate folder that I want to play in the sequence of the album... Tesla sorts it alphabetically!! No way to go back to the correct sequence. Tried renaming files wot 01,02 in front of name... not working HELP,

I have music in an album and separate folder that I want to play in the sequence of the album... Tesla sorts it alphabetically!! No way to go back to the correct sequence. Tried renaming files wot 01,02 in front of name... not working HELP,
My albums show up in the proper track sequence. If I tap on the folder view, they come up in alphabetical order inside the folder, but If I tap on album view, then they show up in the proper track order. If that isn't working for you, then make sure there is a track value in the ID3 tag.

I still have problems with multi-artist albums showing up properly, though. I didn't have this problem when I got the car in December, but after the first update was installed, if the album had multiple artists, it creates separate albums for each different artist.

Last edited:
IIRC from my former observations (have not re-checked with .114 or .22), the issue is in more recent code drops, Tesla uses filename for some sorting, but the TRACKTITLE tag for others across the interface. I suggest you try changing the name of your track by appending DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER in front of both filename and TRACKTITLE to workaround the various issues, and see if that helps. It's how I have been creating my Tesla USB device the last few months to minimize some of my annoyances. More detail on all this is in my many upthread posts. Good luck.

My albums show up in the proper track sequence. If I tap on the folder view, they come up in alphabetical order inside the folder, but If I tap on album view, then they show up in the proper track order. If that isn't working for you, then make sure there is a track value in the ID3 tag.

I still have problems with multi-artist albums showing up properly, though. I didn't have this problem when I got the car in December, but after the first update was installed, if the album had multiple artists, it creates separate albums for each different artist.

Yes, exactly the issue. Albums are broken and songs or folders alphabetically ordered.

Got your replies... albums that are multi-artist get separated into individual albums, hence loosing the integrity of the original album and sequence... songs within each of the separated albums are probably OK.
So when you wrote:
You were only talking about albums with multi-artists?

You could always rename the artist field with one single duplicate name using a tag editor if it's worth the effort.

Last edited:
So when you wrote:
You were only talking about albums with multi-artists? If I had known that, I wouldn't have wasted my time replying.

Actually, the one that drives me crazy is the Original Cast album for Hamilton... For some reason, the Tesla USB software determines there are multiple artists (different characters signing different songs) and then separates it into several "albums"

That's one aspect of the frustration of not being able to load and listen to an album like this in its original sequence.

didn't want to waste your time.

Actually, the one that drives me crazy is the Original Cast album for Hamilton... For some reason, the Tesla USB software determines there are multiple artists (different characters signing different songs) and then separates it into several "albums"

That's one aspect of the frustration of not being able to load and listen to an album like this in its original sequence.

didn't want to waste your time.
So with the Hamilton album the artist field for each song has the same name?