Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Wifi issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since upgrading to 8.0 I noticed I've lost my home wifi connection. I've tried forgetting and re-connecting to the network but haven't had any luck - anyone else having this problem? Is it an issue with WEP security?

Same for me (except it's a model-X). Since 8.0, wifi connect for ~5 seconds then go back to LTE. Clicking the icon show a "Wifi Initializing spinning wheel for some seconds".

I did try another wifi router just in case (apple wifi router), same behaviour.
I did try to reset the main unit screen (no change)

I had some more time to troubleshoot and it does seem to be a WEP issue. The car connected fine with no security (obviously not an option) and with WPA2 security. As I recall some devices in our house didn't work with WPA2 which is why I went with WEP, but perhaps it's time to reconsider. Or perhaps Tesla could fix the glitch.

I should also point out, I don't have sufficient wifi logging tools to see if it actually is connecting via WEP and just not showing a conncection, as others have suggested, but it only shows that it is connected when I go unsecure or WPA2.

+1 For WiFi bugginess in 8.0

The behavior shows a faint connection to WiFi (innermost dot on the WiFi fan lit) despite the Apple AirPort Express being within 8 feet of the car. The Airport Express has an "excellent" connection to the main WiFi hub (Apple AirPort Extreme).

When troubleshooting, reconnecting to the WiFi network was very sketchy. A fun way to burn 30-40 minutes and have no clear resolution (not). WPA2 security if someone is keeping score.

I have been able to have the car attach to my iphone wifi, and also on my Apple Extreme Invited network (not the main network).

Could be related to subnet ? My main subnet is on 10.128.X.X, invite network is on 172.16.X.X ... Not sure what else could be impacting, but it's just a new sensitivity to something we haven't found (my home network is more like enterprise level... with internal dns and vlans)

Found the issue, and the workaround. If you home wifi network is inside the 10.0.0.0/8 network (precisely, mine was in 10.128.8.XXX), it probably overlap with the internal network of the tesla openvpn subnets and cause a glitch causing the tesla wifi stack to reinitialize.

My workaround have been to create a parallel SSID which provide IP in a more "home normal" subnet: 192.168.1.XXX
Another good workaround for anyone, if your wifi router support "invited network", you can enable this and attach your tesla to this new SSID

Same for me (except it's a model-X). Since 8.0, wifi connect for ~5 seconds then go back to LTE. Clicking the icon show a "Wifi Initializing spinning wheel for some seconds".

I'm having the sane issue and my car is within 8 feet of the router. My phone gets 50 Mbps and never loses a connection. My car gets maybe 3 Mbps if it ever connects. I spent 45 minutes the other day trying to get it too connect to the main router and then a range extender and it kept going back to LTE. When it was connected to Wi-Fi, it showed full signal but wss still VERY slow in speed tests.

Since upgrading to 8.0 I noticed I've lost my home wifi connection. I've tried forgetting and re-connecting to the network but haven't had any luck - anyone else having this problem? Is it an issue with WEP security?

Same issue here. Took delivery of my MS on 12/21/16. Continuously cycles between WiFi and LTE. Doesn't hold the wifi. I started another thread not finding this one before noting the same issue. Tried setting up a range extender, and positioning it in 3 places in the garage. Same issue. Holds my phone's hotspot and the Tesla Ranger's hotspot just fine. Can't tell if it is a signal problem, an IP problem or what. Definitely frustrating as I'd like to have a solid connection to get updates, especially the new ones for AP2 hardware.

I also can no longer access my wifi network from home from my Model X P100D. It worked fine in December and early January. I even tried attaching to my Guest network but no luck though the WiFi signal is very good. I am on version 17.5.28. I am using LUMA as my router since 3Q2016. Any suggestions?

Have you received 8.1 already? If so, do you still have wifi issues? I continue to have the same wifi issues with my car which is located within a few feet of the main router or the extender, depending on the bay. If I try other devices in the garage, they all get perfect connections and have no problem connecting to the router or the extender. My Tesla will connect to the router or extender and show full signal but then switch back to 1 bar of LTE within a few seconds. If I connect the car to a phone's wifi hotspot, it will stay connected.

Last edited:
Have you received 8.1 already? If so, do you still have wifi issues? I continue to have the same wifi issues with my car which is located within a few feet of the main router or the extender, depending on the bay. If I try other devices in the garage, they all get perfect connections and have no problem connecting to the router or the extender. My Tesla will connect to the router or extender and show full signal but then switch back to 1 bar of LTE within a few seconds. If I connect the car to a phone's wifi hotspot, it will stay connected.
I made some changes with my Wi-Fi router and think I finally solved the problem. When connected via the phone Wi-Fi hotspot, the car had no problems. About the only difference between the router and the phone hotspot was the password. While the phone hotspot password was only 7 characters, the router was more complicated, including spaces and 18 characters. I changed the router hotspot password to be 7 characters with no spaces. The car connected right away and stayed connected. Previously, it would only stay connected for a few seconds. If you are having problems staying connected, try changing to a shorter password!

• Informative
Reactions: GeorgeCM