Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sir Guacamolaf

The good kind of fat
Mar 15, 2016
Not in a Tesla
Let me preface this by saying - I am actually excited about 8.0 and looking forward to the improvements. From my viewpoint, 8.0 is going to give me more than what I paid for. I am more excited about 8.0 than iPhone 7. LOL

But - it would be nice if Elon had talked a little bit about improvements to other areas besides AP.

Media
Nav
Phone integration

Strange that nobody from the media asked him either. So 8.0 is a bit of a poocake, I mean I like cake, but I know whats inside, so gonna scrape off the top to get rid of kidspit, eat a layer, and throw the rest.

Anyone else feel this way?

I don't think "classic" owners will be left hanging. The blog post was about AP because that's what is on everyone's mind and Tesla is doing a little bit of damage control ("See we fixed the issue you people keep telling us we need to remove AP about, now get off our backs").

Don't forget that the main purpose of 8.0 (and why it received a new primary version designation) is the UI update. AP features is secondary to that. They just can't really show the UI update without having some media but screaming "Why are you spending time on UI updates when AP is so dangerous!?!?"

AP benefits a small segment of Tesla owners.
Media/Nav/Phone would benefit EVERYONE.

Why does Tesla keep ignoring those important bits of the experience is beyond any logical explanation.

Small segment? I'm guessing there are more AP cars than non - AP cars. Oct 14 is 2 years ago. Much more cars sold in the last 2 years than the prior 2 years. And not many cars sold before Oct 12.

And ever future car (that chooses the option - 80%+) is what really matters anyway

Reactions: PtG62901
I'm with PhoenixHawk101 on this. The blog and questions were focussed on AP, but I'm pretty sure that isn't all that will be in 8.0 I mean, 7.1 released major AP changes (if not quite as major.) If they were just updating AP, it'd probably be 7.2.

We keep hearing that Spotify will be coming soon, and we've been promised real time status of Superchargers in 8.0. I kinda expect further media improvements at that time as well.

8.1 is apparently making Navigation ties to AP, so I'm thinking it may have Nav tied to that SpC information to start building the usage/future delays models we've talked about on various occasions and dynamic supercharger routing based on overcrowding.

Yes, Tesla just announced that it will double the safety of Model S and X (and Model 3) with AP overnight with a software update.

And according to Elon, the same update will triple safety over time with fleet learning.

And the price of this huge safety increase? Zero, zip, nada for current owners.

Ho-hum. Stuff like this happens all the time with other car companies, right? ;)

Small segment? I'm guessing there are more AP cars than non - AP cars. Oct 14 is 2 years ago. Much more cars sold in the last 2 years than the prior 2 years. And not many cars sold before Oct 12.

And ever future car (that chooses the option - 80%+) is what really matters anyway

Yeah, but AP drivers are terrible on the road, and they've been crashing their cars left and right.

Point taken! Still, AP segment < overall segment.

Agreed. I get the hype around autopilot but I won't be getting it on my car due to my lack of freeway or even "in town" driving. I would have liked at least a bit of info on other improvements.

Remember, 8.0 improves safety on all cars made after October 2014, not just for owners who paid for Autopilot. It also improves safety in town and on freeways where AP will not engage.

Safety improvements are many times more important than improving the Media player, etc., especially with Tesla under the press microscope. I've yet to see a sensationalist headline about Tesla's media player being "just okay"...

it would be nice if Elon had talked a little bit about improvements to other areas besides AP.
The most important part of 8.0 is the AP improvements and Elon wants to keep the media and the public focused on that for the time being. Which is smart marketing. There will be other changes in AP that will benefit everyone, I predict (and see recent Electrek stories about 8.0).
AP drivers are terrible on the road, and they've been crashing their cars left and right.
That is a gross exaggeration not supported by the facts. Please quote statistical data that backs up your assertion.

I know, you don't have any because you don't have access to Tesla's data.

• Funny
Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
8.0 has only one purpose. To limit AP features further than 7.1 did. Knowing that nobody would install a release if that was all they advertised (though I'm starting to think far too many people would...) Tesla is throwing in some minor stuff and talking it up a bunch to try to hide that it's real purpose is to remove functionality owners paid for.

"AP drivers are terrible on the road, and they've been crashing their cars left and right." ..

upload_2016-9-12_12-8-28.png

8.0 has only one purpose. To limit AP features further than 7.1 did. Knowing that nobody would install a release if that was all they advertised (though I'm starting to think far too many people would...) Tesla is throwing in some minor stuff and talking it up a bunch to try to hide that it's real purpose is to remove functionality owners paid for.
I read a lot of insane posts on this board, but wow. This one is up there in terms of delusion.

Did you read the blog post at all? Assuming you did, do you think it's all just one big lie? It's the most significant update ever. They are changing the main input from camera to radar (going against the grain there). It sees 2 cars ahead. Safety 3x increased. TACC braking greatly improved. New UI. Better fleet learning. 200 other things. etc. etc.

The lone "restriction?" If you ignore 4 audible warnings in an hour you have to park before reengaging AP. Wow, what a crazy restriction!

So, enjoy 7.0, I guess. The rest of us will be driving a safer car with enhanced functionality.

post-39502-Jim-Carrey-oh-boy-here-we-go-g-szZU.gif