Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I don't. No disrespect Guac - I usually like your posts. But Tesla has figured out a way to create a 3D point map and fleet learning at 10 frames per second on existing hardware to seriously improve the collision avoidance capabilities of autopilot - and your reaction is to gripe that they haven't also updated the media player this time around?

REALLY?
I think it's more than "this time around". It's been years that they have promised to fix things like Nav and MP yet all attention went to AP. This time there was a leak promising it again plus Spotify, plus highway interchange capability plus a new UI plus the expected fix to AP to prevent a recurrence of the fatal crash. From Elon's blog it appears it's all about AP perhaps to save a recall. I guess we will have to wait until it's installed to know if this is the case or if we have to wait for 8.1 or longer if ever. So to your question I'd redirect that to Tesla. Tesla are you REALLY doing this AGAIN?

Reactions: X Fan
I think it's more than "this time around". It's been years that they have promised to fix things like Nav and MP yet all attention went to AP. This time there was a leak promising it again plus Spotify, plus highway interchange capability plus a new UI plus the expected fix to AP to prevent a recurrence of the fatal crash. From Elon's blog it appears it's all about AP perhaps to save a recall. I guess we will have to wait until it's installed to know if this is the case or if we have to wait for 8.1 or longer if ever. So to your question I'd redirect that to Tesla. Tesla are you REALLY doing this AGAIN?

The blog post was specifically about AP, it wasn't about the 8.0 update as a whole. I suspect there are plenty of non-AP changes, but that isn't what Elon wanted to talk about. Who knows if they are in the 200 changes too minor to mention or if they are separate, or worse yet got moved back to 8.1. (I would doubt that as I wouldn't think the UI developers would be involved in the guts of AP development.)

Did 7 bring any improvements to non ap teslas? YES! I think its safe to assume we are in for many treats other than autopilot. New look, better nav... all those "improvements" we tweeted to Elon that he printed and handed out to all the engineers.

The blog post was specifically about AP, it wasn't about the 8.0 update as a whole. I suspect there are plenty of non-AP changes, but that isn't what Elon wanted to talk about. Who knows if they are in the 200 changes too minor to mention or if they are separate, or worse yet got moved back to 8.1. (I would doubt that as I wouldn't think the UI developers would be involved in the guts of AP development.)
I hope you're right.

Unfortunately, if you don't keep your hands on the wheel at all times while using AP, you are doing so against Tesla's explicit, written instructions. If the implementation of a requirement to hold the wheel bothers you so much, then perhaps you are among that select group of drivers that is part of the problem Tesla is trying to solve.
You may also just be confused by those explicit, written instructions, because simply keeping your hands on the wheel doesn't work. You will still see the "Hold Steering Wheel" alert even when you're holding the steering wheel in a white-knuckle grip.

What you are actually required to do is apply rotational force, turning the wheel left or right slightly against the direction that AP is taking you. This force has to be just strong enough to register as directional input; apply too much torque, and you'll break out of Autosteer mode.

So to be clear: the requirement is to both hold the wheel and turn the wheel, even though turning the wheel risks being interpreted as taking back control. If one holds to the letter of this requirement, then the usefulness of Autosteer is much diminished, because you are steering the car manually the entire time.

That said, the only relevant line I see in the blog post is this bullet:
Car will not allow reengagement of Autosteer until parked if user ignores repeated warnings

That seems perfectly livable. I don't see anything about the warning interval changing to be different than what it is in 7.1.

Edit: OK, I guess this is what everyone else read. He says it's a 3 minute interval above 45 mph. Hard to know whether this is accurate or subject to change before 8.0 is released.

Last edited:
You may also just be confused by those explicit, written instructions, because simply keeping your hands on the wheel doesn't work. You will still see the "Hold Steering Wheel" alert even when you're holding the steering wheel in a white-knuckle grip.

What you are actually required to do is apply rotational force, turning the wheel left or right slightly against the direction that AP is taking you. This force has to be just strong enough to register as directional input; apply too much torque, and you'll break out of Autosteer mode.

Ok, I do see what you're saying here, but I just recently returned from a 622 mile drive, almost entirely on interstates, and almost entirely on autopilot, and had maybe 5 times (in the 9 hours and 17 minutes of driving) when the I got the 'muting the music' level of the warning.

Maybe my holding the wheel at all times technique is more solid than yours, but I certainly wouldn't refer to it as a "death grip"!

It seems I'd have to get to that level, or the slowing down level, not clear which, within a single hour to cause the temporary restriction to kick in. As you say, does not seem onerous to me.

No, I don't. No disrespect Guac - I usually like your posts. But Tesla has figured out a way to create a 3D point map and fleet learning at 10 frames per second on existing hardware to seriously improve the collision avoidance capabilities of autopilot - and your reaction is to gripe that they haven't also updated the media player this time around?

REALLY?

Dude, I do love the AP updates, I think they are quite amazing.
But, AP is technologically more advanced, and it benefits a segment of Model S population.
Whereas, Media/Nav/Phone benefits EVERYONE, and are arguably simpler to accomplish.

My confusion is merely around - why Tesla continues to ignore those?
I mean, it's a bit puzzling, isn't it? They can build autopilot, they can build this cool radar stuff that I can barely get my head around, but they can't build a decent MP3 player? What am I missing?

As mentioned in many other threads, this blog and press conference was about autopilot in 8.0, and autopilot in 8.0 only. Why? Because it's the most visible thing to the media that Tesla does, it's the one thing that most significantly impacts life and death of owners, it most significantly impacts the scrutiny Tesla is receiving from the media, other car companies, and the NHTSA....and it's a big chunk of the forefront of Tesla's technology. The press doesn't really care that a new version of the media player is coming out. Really. I know it's hard to accept, but they don't really care that the new media app won't forget the song you last listened to when you left the car.

And green1: You should stop. You're embarrassing yourself. Badly.

Yeah, safety/schmafety. I want better tunes!

Dude, I do love the AP updates, I think they are quite amazing.
But, AP is technologically more advanced, and it benefits a segment of Model S population.
Whereas, Media/Nav/Phone benefits EVERYONE, and are arguably simpler to accomplish.

I mean, it's a bit puzzling, isn't it? They can build autopilot, they can build this cool radar stuff that I can barely get my head around, but they can't build a decent MP3 player? What am I missing?

Sorry, but safety trumps MP3 player in every poll I could find in reasons to find a new ride.
The 8 Best Reasons to Buy a New Car

I've seen 10-100 articles about autopilot for every iPhone connectivity article.

Driving is the most dangerous activity I am undertake each day of my life and I'm happy to postpone connectivity issues to allow Tesla address life threatening problems.

If Tesla can prove increased safety, they will sell many more cars than improving AirPlay.

• Disagree
Reactions: green1
Sorry, but safety trumps MP3 player in every poll I could find in reasons to find a new ride.
The 8 Best Reasons to Buy a New Car

I've seen 10-100 articles about autopilot for every iPhone connectivity article.

Driving is the most dangerous activity I am undertake each day of my life and I'm happy to postpone connectivity issues to allow Tesla address life threatening problems.

If Tesla can prove increased safety, they will sell many more cars than improving AirPlay.
I think what you're missing is that Nav, Trip Planner, Media Player (not MP3 player) has been broken for years. The first two are essential driving aids so those of us who have owned the car for a while are baffled by why it would take years to fix those things despite repeated promises. AP is fine but it's not as important to me as getting accurate directions to my destination or knowing which SuperChargers to stop at on my road trip.

I read a lot of insane posts on this board, but wow. This one is up there in terms of delusion.

Did you read the blog post at all? Assuming you did, do you think it's all just one big lie? It's the most significant update ever. They are changing the main input from camera to radar (going against the grain there). It sees 2 cars ahead. Safety 3x increased. TACC braking greatly improved. New UI. Better fleet learning. 200 other things. etc. etc.

The lone "restriction?" If you ignore 4 audible warnings in an hour you have to park before reengaging AP. Wow, what a crazy restriction!

So, enjoy 7.0, I guess. The rest of us will be driving a safer car with enhanced functionality.

Amen.

There is a fine line between repeated exaggerations and delusional ramblings.

Plain and simple, I will wait to see what is included in 8.0 before I "blindly" download it. Specific list of new features. Are they valuable? vs. what are the restrictions now imposed. I like AP as it is. I watch the road, not the dash display. So I will get the beep and then wiggle the wheel. If that is more often than now just because of an arbitrary timing requirement, that's a nuisance. It seems now I get the "hold the wheel" prompt when we approach a corner or there is some other road condition coming up. I don't need nagging, rather a conversation of what is coming up on the road and that I should participate more.

Reactions: yak-55 and green1
AP is technologically more advanced, and it benefits a segment of Model S population.
I don't even own an AP Tesla and I am excited about how Elon has prioritized AP and is pushing it forward.

After 47K miles I am fine with the current Media/Nav'Phone capabilities of my "classic" S. I am sure they will be improved at some point. But I don't really care that much.

Maybe it's because my regular car is a Roadster and it has none of that stuff. ;)

Reactions: tomas

I'm willing to bet there are some nav and media updates coming. I mean, we've heard that on TMC in other threads. And there has been online media suggesting the same. The question is whether those are worth Elon talking about compared to the engineering achievement. In my opinion, not really. We can talk about those after we get them in a few weeks.

I think there are many under-the-hood things that 8.0 allows (Supercharger idle charging, anyone?) which will all be revealed over time.

This force has to be just strong enough to register as directional input; apply too much torque, and you'll break out of Autosteer mode.

It seems to me (I don't think its subjective) that I can apply continuous pressure to the wheel and get AP to move over in the lane. I am quite often uncomfortable with how close to the nearside [of the lane] AP drives, and thus I consciously and deliberately do this.

On the occasions where I have wanted to actively "take over", e.g. to swerve, I have been very surprised by how little effort it takes on the wheel - whereas the continuous force I have to apply to get AP to shift over a bit is significant. I don't ever remember thinking that I had to apply force in order to swerve, the moment my brain registered "swerve" it had all happened already. It seems to me that there is something about the suddenness, or different-ness, of a "swerve" move that AP is able to detect in at the wheel which makes it release control very quickly.