Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$8,000 for a Charger in my Apartment Building: Request for better ideas...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. One of the ideas I propsed to th electrician was to run a line off that circuit for the car. The electrician agreed it made sense in theory (large circuit with uses that wouldn’t really need to be going on at the same time). However, he couldn’t do it that way because it would be a code violation.

The only large circuit with an outlet in a location suitable for an extension cord as-is is the heat pump. Unfortunately, that circuit can’t really be shared since the heat pump needs to be able to run at any time.

But you got me to thinking, maybe there is a workable extension cord solution (avoiding costly changes to the garage) if I could just add a high capacity outlet that was in a suitable location for an extension cord to carry electricity from the apartment to the garage. I’ll look into it. So, thanks for the idea!
Yes, the electrician would not do this, b/c permanently wiring in smth like this would not be up to code. That solution I mentioned is pre-packaged electrician-free solution, so an electrician would have no incentive to use it.
If you find the outlet for your range, you can plug in the splitter yourself and you're done. Takes a month+ to receive it per estimate on that site.

Edit
Also note, that you can have a longer extension cord included with the splitter, but that is an option for "RV buddy" product, which is basically the same thing:
RV Buddy Plus AUTO #1 Custom 50A 2-way switcher, 3.5' 14-50 plug cable to two 14-50 outlets, with kWh meter
This likely won't help much, since you still need to plug in the range into primary.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GSP
i wouldnt even bother buying an EV in that kind of situation. that sounds like such a hassle for a car
Even though it's always best to be able to charge at home or work, I would still buy a Model 3 if I were in the OP's position. It has enough range that the OP would probably be fine Supercharging when needed. Remember that, on a per-mile basis, the Model 3 supercharges faster than a Model S or X. Of course, it would still take longer than refueling at a gas station, but without having to breathe gasoline fumes or get the stuff on your hands. With our mobile devices, it's not hard at all to stay productively occupied while supercharging.

Reactions: GSP and P85_DA
As far as theft goes, The Tesla mobile connector will be locked to your car while charging (assuming the car is locked). So at least that part should be covered...
I know that. But would a thief know that? Years ago I had someone do many hundreds of dollars of damage to my car to get a couple dollars of coins I had for parking meters. I have to be aware that a thief could do a lot of damage trying to steal it, and I need to manage that risk. The fewer hours of visibility, the better.

Last edited:
The heat pump has a pair of 30 amp breakers. I don’t really know how to read the various numbers on the heat pump label, but it calls for a 30 30 overcurrent prevention, which I think describes the installed breakers.
Pair of 30a breakers is a 250v 30a Circuit. Bummer it matches the label of the AC. Still might be worth checking the wire gauge.

I was thinking a small sub panel to split out a circuit at the heat pump might be able to get you 15a/240v. That’s quite a bit of miles overnight.

• Helpful
Reactions: rachelhikes
The heat pump has a pair of 30 amp breakers. I don’t really know how to read the various numbers on the heat pump label, but it calls for a 30 30 overcurrent prevention, which I think describes the installed breakers.
If it's not hardwired, you can probably find a "buddy" to go with it or request Brad from bsaelectronics make a custom plug for you via email. Those things are custom anyway. But 30amps(24 continuous) will be a bit slower than electric range 50amps circuit (UMC v2 will limit to 32amps continuous)

Yes but AB2565 also requires u to carry $1m liability insurance as well ;)...not worth it I would personally supercharge in ur situation :eek:
I’m trying to work around that by installing an outlet, not a charger, and using my mobile charger to plug into it. Management isn’t being difficult. As long as the plan makes sense, I think I can get their buy-in. They don’t want to spend money, though, or do any of the planning work. So that’s up to me.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and P85_DA
Unfortunately, that circuit can’t really be shared since the heat pump needs to be able to run at any time.
Also note the AUTO buddy will "honour" primary whenever it needs to run and fall back to secondary when not in use. So this works with AUTO option in theory. You can confirm with Brad, he responds to email in 1-2 days.

Oh, also another idea - I don't know if your range is hardwired or plugged in, seems it can be both ways.
What's Special About Electric Range Receptacles

Maybe if it's hardwired, you can ask electrician to just install 14-50 and attach the plug to your range. This could be ok and per code. Don't tell them about EV.
Then just buy the Range buddy and re-use the outlet.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Graffi
So I got an estimate back to install a charger in my apartment building, and it came to over $8,000, which isn't feasible.

The idea had been to install an outlet in the garage underneath the apartment at my parking space,
which would have been great if it had worked, but it doesn't.

I do have other options I'm already working on, but I thought I would ask:
anybody got any creative ideas for charging a Model 3 when you live in an apartment?
I'm in a similar situation. Could you give us an idea of the detail of the estimate,
such as hardware, labor, inspection, permit... cost for each major tasks required?

In particular I'm interested knowing if you would be able to connect an electric line from your own meter,
so you could take avantage of the PG&E EV rate. Or if you will have to use a separate meter?

Do you also need to have a special EV insurance (like $1 milon)
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations for California Landlords - Kimball Tirey & St. John LLP
Drive Clean | Plug-in Electric Vehicle Resource Center

Thinking about the long term, since other tenants or owners might also get an EV, may be it would be
simpler to have a company like Chargepoint, installing public sharable meters in your garage,
so you will not have to pay for the instalation and maintenance of the charger(s).

If you are very concerned about vandalism, may be installing a wireless coil charger would be a possibility.

Here are some of recent Bjørn Nyland videos on EV charging in work and residential parkings:

I'm in a similar situation. Could you give us an idea of the detail of the estimate,
such as hardware, labor, inspection, permit... cost for each major tasks required?
Sure. Here is a version of the quote with my personal information stripped out.

Attachments

• Est_2018.2498_from_GREENTECH_ELECTRIC_SOLUTIONS_11848.pdf
    327.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and cwerdna
After reading what others are saying, and since you work from home, with the 310 mile range of the Model 3 you would probably be just fine with only Supercharging once per week or so when you go out. Maybe only when you are planning a longer drive.

I HIGHLY recommend that you do NOT pay anyone to install a charging solution for you in this situation. You did not pay anyone $8,000 to install a gasoline outlet in your parking space and you do not need one here. You should just enjoy the EV experience. It is cheaper to charge at home under the right circumstances but this is not one of them.

I do like the idea of the outlet splitter on the Electric Range, but would only do this if you had a daily commute that made it necessary to charge up over night. You work from home so not needed. Hope this helps.

Depending on how long you plan to stay there, I was wondering if your management/building owners would maybe go half in with you. You get what you need and they get a capital improvement that with more cars going Plug In will be a selling feature they can even charge more for later when they advertise the apartment/garage space. You'll do all the running around getting things set up so they don't have to be so involved and a 14-50 outlet will let any EV plug in, so more universal appeal to more people.

And BTW Tesla's charging map shows that a Supercharger location is supposedly opening up in Los Altos in 2018. Haven't seen anything about it in the California Supercharger forum area ( California Supercharger locations ) but maybe plans have been held off until 3rd quarter. But in your area if you go shopping hitting up one of the neighboring Supercharger locations shouldn't be that bad to do every so often. With a Model 3 and working at home probably it would get you by until you move to a place where you can charge at home if your current building owners won't at least help out with half the cost.

In the meantime I see that your city is currently installing new permit tracking software and the permit counter will be closed during certain days. Since you can't check online maybe someone working in the department can give you a heads up as to whether any applications for a Supercharger have been applied for. Something to keep checking on. Usually there will be something in the Council minutes or Planning Committees reports when a location has been chosen as the city will be involved in the approval process. Also looking through the issued permits (some of which are online) can be fruitful. Just looking at the August permits issued there are a lot of EV chargers going in to residences.

Last edited:
I agree with Graffi's posts and many others to just Supercharge, for now.

Right now, Supercharging rates in CA are 26 cents/kWh. If you spent $8K on Supercharging, that'd be 30,769 kWh. If you only averaged 3 miles/kWh, that's over 92K miles of driving.

Try to find places to L2 charge, as well, including where it's free. There are plenty on Plugshare. Also, select Tesla (destination chargers) on Plugshare. If you can find any that are on 60+ amp circuits so you can get the full 48 amps of charging speed, see if you can make an arrangement w/the business where you pay them a reasonable amount to use it. That'll be faster than virtually all J1772 infrastructure which tends to be 30 amps at max. On Plugshare, you can select residential locations. Perhaps you can make some monetary arrangement w/someone w/an L2 J1772 EVSE (30+ amps) or Tesla wall connector on a 60+ amp circuit?

Back to 26 cents/kWh, try using looking for places where you might normally go but with <26 cents/kWh L2 charging. If it's Chargepoint, you may need to confirm via their web site and/or app about the prices since Plugshare might be wrong.

EVgo Charging Plans | EVgo Electric Vehicle Charging has $1.50/hour for L2. Assuming 208 volts supply voltage (common commercial power) and 30 amps L2 at max, expect ~6,240 watts = 6.24 kW at max rate. That effectively is about 24.2 cents/kWh. Obviously, it's not worth going there and spending time vs. Supercharging, but if it's at a place where you will be hanging out anyway...

There are some Targets w/free L2 charging for the 1st 2 hours (e.g. PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You and PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You) and yes, I know they're not near you, esp. Fremont but if you happen to go there... The San Mateo Target I mentioned is across from a bank of Superchargers.

Last edited: