Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8 1/2' Charging Cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend of mine recently purchased a Model 3 and was given not only the standard 20' (or is it 24'???) charging cable, but also a second cable that is 8 1/2' in length.

Can anyone tell me how to acquire that shorter charging cable?

Thank you.

Len Jacobson

Thank you for that suggestion. I will contact them. But be aware that two weeks ago, I went to my local service center and told the woman who was helping me that I have called and never gotten someone to answer the phone, and I have left messages which were never followed up on. She replied that recently Tesla ended all phone service to service centers. Leaving a message is worthless and no one will answer the call. They want all contact with the service center to go through their app.

Not exactly a "service oriented" ethic.

Thank you for that suggestion. I will contact them. But be aware that two weeks ago, I went to my local service center and told the woman who was helping me that I have called and never gotten someone to answer the phone, and I have left messages which were never followed up on. She replied that recently Tesla ended all phone service to service centers. Leaving a message is worthless and no one will answer the call. They want all contact with the service center to go through their app.

Not exactly a "service oriented" ethic.

yea tesla is a tech company from cali. they are hardly known for customer service. in the app you might be able to put a service request in. or stop by your local "service" center.

Do you know where/how to order it from Tesla? I can't find it anywhere.

Thank you!!

HPWC is the same thing as the wall connector that you say you don't want. The latest version has been renamed "wall connector" instead of High Powered Wall Connector.

Sorry to tell you again but this product you are seeking does not exist.

Just get a cable organizer on which you can wrap the extra 12 feet of cable that you don't need.

Cable Organizer

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
A friend of mine recently purchased a Model 3 and was given not only the standard 20' (or is it 24'???) charging cable, but also a second cable that is 8 1/2' in length.
That was some kind of mistake.
Can anyone tell me how to acquire that shorter charging cable?
You probably can't.

I'm going to second what @user212_nr has been trying to explain to you. Tesla sells the wall connectors in either the long cord version or the short cord version. That short cable your friend got just is not a product by itself. It is a warranty-type replacement part that is part of the short cord wall connector. I don't know if there is some way that you can convince Tesla to sell you just that part by itself if you can't show some warranty need for it.

Reactions: user212_nr
It is a warranty-type replacement part that is part of the short cord wall connector. I don't know if there is some way that you can convince Tesla to sell you just that part by itself if you can't show some warranty need for it.

Careful what you say about parts (see thread below). The warranty program does full-unit replacements.

He wanted to put a NEMA-14-x plug on the end of it last Friday (not related to your post, but follows the discussion about the HPWC above).

Want a USED Tesla Wall Connector With 8.5 ft Cable

I think the user has resolved their issue, but just wanted to clarify some terms.

Careful what you say about parts (see thread below). The warranty program does full-unit replacements.

He wanted to put a NEMA-14-x plug on the end of it last Friday (not related to your post, but follows the discussion about the HPWC above).

Want a USED Tesla Wall Connector With 8.5 ft Cable

I think the user has resolved their issue, but just wanted to clarify some terms.
Woooowww. I hadn't seen that other thread. So both of these threads were about trying to avoid getting either a wall connector or mobile connector, because he thought they weren't needed, and that the car could be charged just with a segment of wire with a plug on the end of it. Glad we helped solve that in time.

Reactions: user212_nr