Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.1 Easter Egg!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
XM radio is almost unusable in our new S 100D.

In 8.0 they removed the station slider for XM radio - so you can only quickly skip to XM stations by setting favorites or using the station list.

But, with 8.0, evidently the XM station list was also broken. In cars produced since 8.0 was released, there are problems getting the XM station list downloaded into the media player.

Which means, to change channels - you have to single step through the stations one-at-a-time. For stations in the 200 range, that's a lot of single stepping...

Surely Tesla should be placing a higher priority in fixing recently introduced bugs than implementing more easter eggs...

Reactions: Cosmacelf
I can't believe people are complaining about this. This is very unique and makes ownership so much more fun and engaging. Tesla can spend eternity fixing all bugs, but that still won't satisfy everyone. Nothing wrong with a little diversion, builds a deeper connection with customers

They aren't "just bugs". I've been living with them for over 4 years. I've been through more UI changes than I can remember, more Easter eggs that I can remember (amphibian mode, model xmas, etc.), and yet the nav is still broken, the browser still sucks, and the Bluetooth is still unreliable.

So it isn't this one Easter egg. If you counted up all the man hours spent on frivolous stuff, they could have fixed a few bugs and subsystems that have been broken for 4+ years. That's what's annoying.

They aren't "just bugs". I've been living with them for over 4 years. I've been through more UI changes than I can remember, more Easter eggs that I can remember (amphibian mode, model xmas, etc.), and yet the nav is still broken, the browser still sucks, and the Bluetooth is still unreliable.

So it isn't this one Easter egg. If you counted up all the man hours spent on frivolous stuff, they could have fixed a few bugs and subsystems that have been broken for 4+ years. That's what's annoying.
+100000

Reactions: Imafrog
To the people complaining about Tesla wasting time, how long do you really think it took tesla to write this Easter egg...half a day maybe. I seriously doubt this Easter Egg diverted attention from important fixes. Just relax and enjoy. What other can companies has this much fun.

People know I'm a big complainer of Tesla software updates (but with good reason!)..but in this case, with the drawing pad, it's been part of the hidden service toolset for years. A few people know how to access this toolset with the rolling 4-digit PIN (I don't), and can enable more "apps" like this one. This has always been there, all Tesla did was enable it with three taps, which probably didn't take long at all (but egads, imagine the testing and QA involved!!! ;) )

But I also agree, Tesla does need to focus and prioritize the real bugs that also have existed for years, as well as address the new ones they keep introducing, like the Media Player. Seriously, how pressing was it to include operating hours in the nav popups for points of interest? I can get that on my phone if I *really* need it.

Perfect. With a shitty browser, a nav that sends me off the freeway onto random side streets on long drives, a Bluetooth system that works 80% of the time, this is EXACTLY what I want Tesla software engineers working on. Oh, and maybe some more UI tweaks that make me hit more buttons than before.

And Elon agrees!

No wonder nothing works quite right on the touchscreen....
This feature was already baked in with version 5. So while I understand your frustration about devoting resources on this thing while more important things that matter still linger, this was actually one of those times where there was zero development opportunity cost for them.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit how much time I spent playing with this little app...so I won't.

Is this Easter Egg likely to stay around for a while or do these things have a short life?

Any other current Eggs for the MS?

Something foolish coming on April 1?

This feature was already baked in with version 5. So while I understand your frustration about devoting resources on this thing while more important things that matter still linger, this was actually one of those times where there was zero development opportunity cost for them.

It wasn't only this one useless Easter egg that sent me over the edge. Consider it the straw that broke the camel's back. We have actual bugs that I continually run into have been in the code for over 4 years. And yet Elon/Tesla continue to do hidden submarine Easter eggs, and frankly useless (or worse) UI changes.

For example, I sent off my visiting sister in my Model S on a 110 mile and back trip a few days ago. The route could not have been simpler, get on the freeway, drive for 108 miles and get off the freeway at the end. One freeway. So we put in the destination into the nav and all looked great! Off she went and then partway through the drive, the Nav did its usual thing of redirecting the route through surface streets for a section. My sister followed these time consuming directions until she realized they were taking more time than the straight freeway route.

I've learned through experience not to trust the nav, but I had forgotten to tell my sister that. It is very sad indeed that the car has a nav so bad that, frankly, you can't rely on it.

Yet we still can't get a functioning Nav system or a number of other obvious things that the software should do but doesn't... Things like non-TACC vanilla cruise control when your radar is obstructed due to snow/ice, or a fully functioning media player that doesn't require hours of validation by the user community every time an update comes out, the list goes on and on...

Don't get me wrong, this is fun and neat and all of that but...

Jeff

It wasn't only this one useless Easter egg that sent me over the edge. Consider it the straw that broke the camel's back. We have actual bugs that I continually run into have been in the code for over 4 years. And yet Elon/Tesla continue to do hidden submarine Easter eggs, and frankly useless (or worse) UI changes.

For example, I sent off my visiting sister in my Model S on a 110 mile and back trip a few days ago. The route could not have been simpler, get on the freeway, drive for 108 miles and get off the freeway at the end. One freeway. So we put in the destination into the nav and all looked great! Off she went and then partway through the drive, the Nav did its usual thing of redirecting the route through surface streets for a section. My sister followed these time consuming directions until she realized they were taking more time than the straight freeway route.

I've learned through experience not to trust the nav, but I had forgotten to tell my sister that. It is very sad indeed that the car has a nav so bad that, frankly, you can't rely on it.

Um... Turn off traffic based routing then... Or do what I do, set it to only kick in if it'll save at least 30 min... That's simple one that I have a hard time getting mad at Tesla about... I have yet to see a nav system implement this with any semblance of accuracy...

Jeff

Reactions: SlyWombat
Not looking to argue, just expressing my thoughts on a couple of posts about being upset that Tesla should allow the Cruise Control to work without the Radar as a standard cruise. This would (in my opinion) decrease safety and increase collisions. Everyone that uses TACC regularly is completely acclimatized to the car slowing or stopping in response to vehicles in front of them. If the vehicle weren't to do this, even if they knew and thought about it when they engaged it, they are going to be caught by surprise and may not be able to react quickly enough. As my point of reference: there have been a couple of times that the SC gave me a Classic MS as a loaner. To my senses, I was driving the same car as usual. I got on the freeway, engaged cruise, and a few miles later while I was closing in on a car, I never thought about taking over. My brain was attuned to a Tesla handling this for me. At the last moment, when I freaked-out and took control, for a fraction of a second I was still wondering why the heck the system failed, until I remembered I was in a Classic MS with no TACC...

This is another example of a great company which we are lucky to enjoy. Show me another car company that even cares about input from the owners of their products. They are actually going to take my kids' drawings at Tesla? They are going to read what owners write and study our behavior, wants and desires, so that they can give us a better product, provide better upgrades and develop future products which meet our expectations? Sign me up for the Model Y. I've owned my S for a year and absolutely love this car. My kids love it. I have a reservation for the 3 for the same reasons.

Do you think GM would ever even attempt something like Easter Eggs that provide a window into their consumers' habit patterns? You drive one of Detroit's cars off the lot (after some excruciating dealmaking based on 1950s theories) and your car is instantly out of date, just a liability for you and GM. Here we have a car that literally is capable of evolving; dare I say it's verging on the outskirts of artificial intelligence territory, and mine is limited to AP1, imagine how things will evolve in the future with AP2 and future models. It's really incredible, and I'm loving every minute of it. Oh yeah, and it doesn't use fossil fuel. Bring it.

All these people complaining, so i guess you all are going to sell your Teslas now and buy different make/models? Oh really? *crickets*

I get this is a public forum and venting here is probably easier, but to throw a temper tantrum/hissy fit about something fun a car company can do (that no other car company ever does or will) invites pity.

Just one example, these so called navigation bugs has to do with the navigation vendor, tesla doesn't actually make navigation software. Take it up with them, every single OEM navigation system has problems, Tesla isn't unique. Why does every carmaker have navigation problems? Are they lazy and just install crap systems? or is there an underlying issue that none of them can control? hmm.