Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.1 Easter Egg!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Cosmacelf - I agree 100%

The Media Player for USB is hopelessly broken. When I had my S, the USB never reloaded except when a new build was downloaded, it would restart from where it left off after a stop, and the shuffle (pretty much) worked. Now all these things are broken, and have been for 6 months or more.
It wasn't only this one useless Easter egg that sent me over the edge. Consider it the straw that broke the camel's back. We have actual bugs that I continually run into have been in the code for over 4 years. And yet Elon/Tesla continue to do hidden submarine Easter eggs, and frankly useless (or worse) UI changes.

For example, I sent off my visiting sister in my Model S on a 110 mile and back trip a few days ago. The route could not have been simpler, get on the freeway, drive for 108 miles and get off the freeway at the end. One freeway. So we put in the destination into the nav and all looked great! Off she went and then partway through the drive, the Nav did its usual thing of redirecting the route through surface streets for a section. My sister followed these time consuming directions until she realized they were taking more time than the straight freeway route.

I've learned through experience not to trust the nav, but I had forgotten to tell my sister that. It is very sad indeed that the car has a nav so bad that, frankly, you can't rely on it.

I was super irritated with the Christmas Easter egg for model X when the media player was so broken. So while I disagree in this instance (notepad), I actually agree with your more overarching opinion that maybe Easter eggs should come second to actual software improvements that could alleviate daily frustration with the car software.

um ... it's called marketing.

A few on here whinging (variously justified for sure) whilst the world's press wow at the fun of owning Tesla.
There's a bigger agenda here that some are not seeing.

... and Tesla, do please press on with getting some more of the bugs fixed when you can back off some on the current absolute focus on AP2 with which you are basically trying to do in 6 months what a certain other vendor has been finessing for 6+years.

Count me as a new owner who's not stopped grinning. I updated last night to 8.1 and actually was giggling as I played with the new headrest adjustment. Still can't get over how the car improves! I know everyone says this all the time but actually experiencing it is fun. And my 10 y/o daughter who USED to prefer my husband's Subaru is going to go completely crazy over the sketchpad. She's always drawing and doodling. I agree navigation would be nice, but since I'm a new owner, I'm used to using Google maps on my phone.

Reactions: OBX John and EinSV
I've also had almost no problems or issues with the Nav. I'd just would like to be able to enter my own starting and ending points (instead of my "current location" being fixed as the starting point) as well as add a few waypoints along the route.

You know, stuff that Garmin has been able to do since the 90's.

Reactions: JohnnyG
Not looking to argue, just expressing my thoughts on a couple of posts about being upset that Tesla should allow the Cruise Control to work without the Radar as a standard cruise. This would (in my opinion) decrease safety and increase collisions. Everyone that uses TACC regularly is completely acclimatized to the car slowing or stopping in response to vehicles in front of them. If the vehicle weren't to do this, even if they knew and thought about it when they engaged it, they are going to be caught by surprise and may not be able to react quickly enough. As my point of reference: there have been a couple of times that the SC gave me a Classic MS as a loaner. To my senses, I was driving the same car as usual. I got on the freeway, engaged cruise, and a few miles later while I was closing in on a car, I never thought about taking over. My brain was attuned to a Tesla handling this for me. At the last moment, when I freaked-out and took control, for a fraction of a second I was still wondering why the heck the system failed, until I remembered I was in a Classic MS with no TACC...
My thoughts exactly whenever I see someone wishing for standard cruise control in addition to the TACC.

I know saying that these Easter Eggs should not be the top priority is whinging. I have enjoyed the Easter Eggs over the years, its just after 4 years of well reported bugs not being addressed, its hard not to say 'how about fixing this or that'.

Also, as I pointed out, most of the USB bugs were introduced recently - so I am not asking to develop something new, just don't break what is already there!

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I used to work in an ICU. It was GO GO GO.
There are few jobs like it (maybe working in combat?).
Most of the patients in my unit were literally in the process of dying. 24/7.
so we were GO GO GO. So much so that once I had to open my scrubs and pee in a container at the patient's bedside because I couldn't leave them to go to the bathroom.
But there were times when we all just had to stop and do something silly or fun.
Just for a few minutes or seconds here and there.
just to get a break.
Because you can't be GO GO GO 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

To those of you who say "Focus, Focus!" I totally get it.
Tesla needs to Focus.

however, it's an extremely high stress environment (nothing like an ICU or combat, but it's stressful). Nobody can focus 100% of the time.
sometimes you need to just let off some steam.

These Easter eggs are fun for many customers (while irritating others)
But it's possible they're also fun for the employees.
Give them a little time to blow off steam.

yes, in theory it takes them away from fixing bugs.
but a burned out employee is often less productive than one who gets some free time here and there.

So hopefully Tesla will start to fix the important bugs. But hopefully it can also be a place that doesn't kill their employees.

To the people complaining about Tesla wasting time, how long do you really think it took tesla to write this Easter egg...half a day maybe. I seriously doubt this Easter Egg diverted attention from important fixes. Just relax and enjoy. What other can companies has this much fun.

Maybe 1/2 day, not sure. But even so, it is still a 1/2 day better spent on something important:D

• Disagree
Reactions: Swift
I've also had almost no problems or issues with the Nav. I'd just would like to be able to enter my own starting and ending points (instead of my "current location" being fixed as the starting point) as well as add a few waypoints along the route.

You know, stuff that Garmin has been able to do since the 90's.

I can't think of a single car navigation system that I've ever used that allowed you to put in a starting point - I think that's reaching a little bit.

Honestly from my perspective, the only issue with the nav is that it doesn't show multiple route options like other nav systems Ive used. Aside from that, it works just like the one in my old BMW did, and the Audi ones before that.

On the upside, I LOVE how you can just put in the name of a business your going to and it takes you there...super each with the huge touch screen. And super fast. Doing something like that in my old BMW would cumbersome and slow, never ever used the feature.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I can't think of a single car navigation system that I've ever used that allowed you to put in a starting point - I think that's reaching a little bit.

Ok, ok, you got me there --- perhaps I should have said "like Garmin and Google have been doing since the 2000's." :)

On the upside, I LOVE how you can just put in the name of a business your going to and it takes you there...super each with the huge touch screen. And super fast. Doing something like that in my old BMW would cumbersome and slow, never ever used the feature.

Yeah, I agree with you there, there are some really great things about the Tesla Nav that I love having on board --- ESPECIALLY compared to BMWs (which I've had several, which are ALL HORRIBLE!).

I've had nav systems on all my cars for the last 15 years, Ford, Acura, Chevy and Cadillac. Tesla's Nav system is way better than all the rest. The voice recognition is great, it almost always finds the location I've requested. The only problems I have is it seems to route the car the way that will take the least energy, not get there fastest. Highway driving is hard on the battery milage. That is why it takes you off the highway onto side streets. I agree, it should give you the option of choosing routes.

My thoughts exactly whenever I see someone wishing for standard cruise control in addition to the TACC.

I don't understand why some of you seem to think people are so stupid, they won't be able to differentiate between the two? It's a bit insulting actually...

I get why some of you are so excited about easter eggs and all of that new glitzy stuff... Some of us would love to be excited with you, like myself, but I just can't get excited when there are very serious and long standing issues with the software that Tesla has yet to address but yet they can find time for "games"... When you're a new Tesla owner, like some of you are, it's almost impossible to look at the long view and instead focus on what's in front of you which is a car who's manufacturer updates the software like Microsoft or Apple do to their OSs. I get why this is amazing as there literally hasn't been a car company to ever do this. I get it... I really do. I've been there... Eventually though, being enamored with this capability of Tesla's will wear off and you'll begin to notice glaring issues with the software and you too will be asking yourself, why can't Tesla fix this but seemingly has time for useless easter eggs?

Jeff

I don't understand why some of you seem to think people are so stupid, they won't be able to differentiate between the two? It's a bit insulting actually...

I get why some of you are so excited about easter eggs and all of that new glitzy stuff... Some of us would love to be excited with you, like myself, but I just can't get excited when there are very serious and long standing issues with the software that Tesla has yet to address but yet they can find time for "games"... When you're a new Tesla owner, like some of you are, it's almost impossible to look at the long view and instead focus on what's in front of you which is a car who's manufacturer updates the software like Microsoft or Apple do to their OSs. I get why this is amazing as there literally hasn't been a car company to ever do this. I get it... I really do. I've been there... Eventually though, being enamored with this capability of Tesla's will wear off and you'll begin to notice glaring issues with the software and you too will be asking yourself, why can't Tesla fix this but seemingly has time for useless easter eggs?

Jeff
I guess we're not all wired the same. It seems normal to me that someone conditioned to TACC might forget they are in non-TACC cruise control mode. I don't think it's insulting. I just think I'm probably more absent minded than you are.

But there were times when we all just had to stop and do something silly or fun.
Just for a few minutes or seconds here and there.
just to get a break.
Because you can't be GO GO GO 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
IIRC, Google even asks developers to have funny side-projects, to work on useless things, to explore whatever ideas they have, to be creative. It allows them to expand their skillset, and sometimes one of those funny-silly-project becomes a real project. Gmail was one of those.

Reactions: EinSV