TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

8.1 in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Burnt Toast, Mar 29, 2017.

1. joninmelbourne

joninmelbourne Solid Black S60 new face

I heard they have to keep 3G going for at least another ten years as ATM's and vending machines often use a 3G connection to feed sales data back to base. If 3G was shut down, tens of thousands of machines would have to be retrofitted with 4G.

2. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

There's always the LTE "upgrade".

3. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Active Member

Not available at this stage in Australia, is it raynewman?

4. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

Dunno - the car I drove in the US was so equipped and I felt it wasn't up to the speed of my 3G but I guess there is lots more traffic in SanFran than Brisbane.

5. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

The modem in Australia probably already is LTE, its just limited to 3G to conserve bandwidth.

6. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

I was told by an extremely knowledgeable Tesla tech that modems are already LTE capable, although not sure if they're already operating in that spectrum & throttled back or not.

7. OzSimon

OzSimon Member

I got 8.1 twice a few days apart. The scratch pad is difficult to get up, I usually have to try 10 times before it appears. Seems only way to close it is to drag the other apps down over it?
    My autopilot seems to be getting a little better over time, anyone else?

8. championi

championi Member

Hey @OzSimon I don't have an issue with the scratch pad coming up.
    I usually have to open other apps to go over the scratch pad, it can be very distracting at night!

I haven't enabled EAP yet on my X. Waiting for it to be on par with AP1 first before I do. Hoping for more positive feedback from people like yourself before I do.

Maybe Tesla might give me a try before you buy scenario to help me pull the trigger;)

9. Tozla

Tozla Member

I would be happy to tether my phone to the car and pay for the browser data through my phone plan.

• Like x 1
  10. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

It's about on par with AP1 on the freeways now.

• Like x 1
  11. OzSimon

OzSimon Member

Champ I used mine on the freeway today- it was really good and in heavy traffic managed speed between 120 and 0 really well. I was very happy and found it really reliable. Just waiting for the round town autopilot to improve, but it does seem a little better, have to keep hands on the wheel and alert though.
    Are you loving the X like you hoped? Mine exceeds, although I did not have a S before.

12. mrpseudonym

mrpseudonym Member

+1 2 hour drive with my X from bowral to sydney today, most if it on autopilot. Quite impressed , but the repeated requests to put hands on the wheel kind of detract from the experience.

13. 360C

360C Member

My Model X P100D was delivered a few days back and AP2 is absolutely hopeless at this point.

14. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

With the varied reports, I'm beginning to think that different camera calibrations are yielding vastly different results. Or perhaps you are just talking about non freeway driving? Because off the freeway, AP2 is rubbish. On the freeway it has been largely faultless.

15. SR22DRIVER

SR22DRIVER Member

I took delivery last Friday, 9th April. Self drive is great on my Model X on the M1 between Brisbane and Gold Coast. Good with lane change and 110 kph down to stop start traffic. It would not work on the Pacific highway south of Sextons hill on Sunday when I drove down to Macadamia Castle, but worked well north of Sextons hill.

It will generally only work on minor roads below 50 kph, except some sections of Smith street.

I already have 1250 kilometres on my car in 6 days, and love it.

16. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Active Member

IMHO, AP2 is currently just a wee bit behind AP1 for freeway work right now.
    It seems to struggle much more than AP1 in tunnels, with false images causing it to brake inappropriately.
    On smaller roads, the new system still lags the old, but improved a lot with the last sw upgrade, hopefully much more to come!

17. 360C

360C Member

Well my experience in the first 500km's is quite different. It either doesn't work at all (minor roads) or it tries to kill me (freeways) by travelling at the extreme outer lefthand edge of the lane to the point where it would hit the car next to me if I left it to its own devices. I would have to say that AP2 is pretty close to useless in my limited experience to date. I also have a Model S with AP1 that has been fantastic over the
    2yrs of ownwership, and I use the autopilot feature every single time that I drive it.

18. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

I think you need to take your car in to get the cameras calibrated. I've had zero issues with it on the freeway, apart from a couple of slowdowns for overhead signs and it once got confused when it changed lanes and the markings merged, but it fixed itself. Other than that, lane discipline has been excellent.

19. 360C

360C Member

If it doesn't get significantly better by 1000km I will be taking it back to ask why; but at this stage I am just hoping it is in a learning cycle or something.

20. jeraldinho

jeraldinho Member

It won't be a learning cycle in the car. Either the cameras are calibrated and the AP is active or it's not. If it's not staying in the center of the lane on a freeway take it to a service center

• Like x 1