Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.1 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Champ I used mine on the freeway today- it was really good and in heavy traffic managed speed between 120 and 0 really well. I was very happy and found it really reliable. Just waiting for the round town autopilot to improve, but it does seem a little better, have to keep hands on the wheel and alert though.
Are you loving the X like you hoped? Mine exceeds, although I did not have a S before.
The feedback that's coming in on AP2 is very mixed at the moment. I'm noticing a trend though, most people coming from a AP1 are finding AP2 less reliable than people using it for the first time. Which leads me to believe that AP2 is still not on par with AP1.

In relation to the X, I'm absolutely enjoying it, its everything I hoped for and more.
The falcon wing doors are a work of art, that windscreen, storage space, the way the seats operate etc. Compared to my S, it's much more comfortable. Although It's a little hard to compare the X and the S, as they a different cars and serve different purposes. However, as a family of 5, it's the car of choice. I got the 7 seat config, having 3 kids allows them all to be comfortable (and separated - less arguing and noise coming from the back ). The most popular seats in the X by far, are the 3rd row. The kids can't get enough of them. I guess it's like the last row of seats on a bus!

Though I must admit, when it comes to driving solo, I prefer my S.

The feedback that's coming in on AP2 is very mixed at the moment. I'm noticing a trend though, most people coming from a AP1 are finding AP2 less reliable S.
I don't think anyone has ever said that the AP2 is as good as AP1? We are all just waiting for the moment of parity and then superiority.
Off topic: good to see a few people on the Australian board have more than one Tesla! 1. We can give good feedback re AP1 vs 2 and 2. It shows that the cars are bloody fantastic and all the criticisms that pollute the US board don't actually deter people from going again!

Reactions: championi
I don't think anyone has ever said that the AP2 is as good as AP1? We are all just waiting for the moment of parity and then superiority.
Off topic: good to see a few people on the Australian board have more than one Tesla! 1. We can give good feedback re AP1 vs 2 and 2. It shows that the cars are bloody fantastic and all the criticisms that pollute the US board don't actually deter people from going again!

Some people out there are saying AP2 is now on par with AP1. I still don't believe they are. I do believe though, that AP2 will overtake AP1 in the next few months.

I'm sold on Tesla's vision, hence owning 2.
Tesla has really turned the car industry on its head. I'm really excited for the future of Tesla and the next versions of the of both the S and the X.

Reactions: ICUDoc
OzSimon - I love the FWD but I will admit that having controlled doors requires a far greater degree of awareness than manual doors. I've accidentally bumped a couple of people on the head already. Had to put a few family rules into place if using the fob (or screen) to open and close doors.

Championi - Agree - AP2 is not on par with AP1 yet but I expect it will surpass AP1 in the next 2 - 3 months. Really excited to see this unfold. On X vs S difference - I must admit - the P85D S seems far quicker off the line than the P100D X (I expected the opposite). Yet to test them head to head though.

As an aside - nearly got caught out on a trip to Phillip Island last weekend. Started off with 90% but only made it home with 6km to spare (this is a < 350km round trip with a P100D Model X). I believe the culprit was the return trip started off with 6 seat heaters on due to an incoming cold front. Will do some more experiments on the impact of seat heaters on range but something to watch.

• Informative
Reactions: Tozla and ICUDoc
Just got the 8.1 update on my late AP1 60 S. Sketch pad works so our toddler will be pleased. As others have said, not much difference. Apparently there are Google star ratings next to businesses which may be helpful. Originally Elon said with 8.1 AP1 would take highway exits in line with the GPS directions but no sign of that. We need more native apps on the touch screen, a weather app like IPhone would be an easy addition.

MS60D AP2 8.1 2 wks old. LOVING it! Has anyone got the autopark to work? I've tried but it doesn't come up.

Also was planning to upgrade to the 75 battery. Now that they've stopped selling the 60 does anyone remember the upgrade price? Its no longer on their website.

I found out how to get the price. Visit my tesla site. For 60 to 75 battery upgrade it's 3k aud. I think it's still cheaper than what it was a couple of months ago. Can anyone please confirm?

TIA

Ok I just upgraded it! 3K is 80% cheaper. No Brainer! You also get the upgraded rear badge fitting included from the service centre.

Attachments

• IMG_0897.PNG
    IMG_0897.PNG
    562.1 KB · Views: 53
Wow. 3 grand for a software upgrade and a badge? They have learned fast how to make money!!

What version are HW1 people on now? I am on 17.11.10.

That's actually pretty normal - don't confuse manufacturing cost with retail pricing. It's also pretty useful for Tesla themselves when trading in a car. If its traded as a 60, Tesla can sell it as a 75. The manufacturing cost difference between the two is marginal and it would probably cost more to make a dedicated smaller battery.

In IT it's common that you will find a cheaper version of a product just has software limits and different marketing part numbers when it's actually the same product. It enables you to sell at a cheaper entry price point at lower margin, then recoup that when the customer upgrades.

My car is now on 17.14.23

Auto Park started working after I hit 700kms along with the creepy feature. I've been waiting for this to work since I got the 8.1 update. Looks like it waits for 700kms for calibration. Just FYI for those of you anxiously waiting like me!

Here
Yup, same here.
Yet-to-come, on HW2 vehicles.....
here is a possible explanation

legoswag123
Model 3

17h
I don't think Tesla uses a traditional rain sensor found in most regular cars/appliances, but rather the front-facing AP2 cameras. They are trying to get the camera array to detect the rain, which is genius and much easier than adding an additional sensor. The more they offload into the software, the more they can streamline the production. Less hardware means lower cost and faster production.

Here

here is a possible explanation

legoswag123
Model 3

17h
I don't think Tesla uses a traditional rain sensor found in most regular cars/appliances, but rather the front-facing AP2 cameras. They are trying to get the camera array to detect the rain, which is genius and much easier than adding an additional sensor. The more they offload into the software, the more they can streamline the production. Less hardware means lower cost and faster production.
Genius when we see it working

• Funny
Reactions: VOTS01