Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.1 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, that was BS. It was supposed to recalibrate on freeways to enable greater than 90kmh, but it didn't need calibration, it just worked. Suburban roads are still limited to 50kmh, and that's a good thing. Driving down Toorak Road from Kooyong to Camberwell, the car was wandering out of lanes on slight curves and getting false positives from parked cars and oncoming cars (to a complete stop at one point). I don't think urban AP2 yet has the second camera activated, I think that is limited to freeways for now.
Are you talking about the 8.1 release?

Righty-oh.
I've had mixed feeling about getting one of the last AP1 cars. I've been able to enjoy a mature system from day 1, and it's when the car is new that you really want to play with all the toys. It must have been hell for the early AP2 buyers waiting all this time.
But, in the long run I know I'll envy AP2. It will keep getting better and better, and my car (although great) will be frozen in time...

Reactions: Rawbznz
I think it's just too much hassle to get it through the fussy Australian regulators, for a small market like us.
I work with medical devices, and we are often years behind our FDA and CE counterparts thanks to our hidebound TGA, and that's for things much more important than fancy cars.

Also the Aussie regulators stuffed up auto lane change in AP1. In America, you can just press the indicator stalk in the direction you want to change lanes. Here, you press he indicator stalk and the "hold wheel now" warning comes on and you have to apply some turning force to get it to move....

Anybody with AP1 get 8.1 yet? No update alert with mine yet.

Perhaps we should compile a list of all the small ways the Oz cars are lacking features available in the US and petition Tesla to do something about it. Individually they might think they're not worth the effort but presented with a long list they might realise why Oz owners would like to see some action.

Great idea! For me no.1 on the Australian Tesla Feature Nerf list continues to be the Summon App requirement.

Also the Aussie regulators stuffed up auto lane change in AP1. In America, you can just press the indicator stalk in the direction you want to change lanes. Here, you press he indicator stalk and the "hold wheel now" warning comes on and you have to apply some turning force to get it to move....

Given they require a multi-factor authentication just for a lane change it probably means those same regulators may take quite a while before they'll allow us to have fully self-driving cars... :(

Reactions: championi
Got 8.1 ver 17.11.10 yesterday when my car went in for minor repairs. A huge non- event. Changes the amount of info on a destination in Nav and that is about it!
None of the sketch pad, browser, user interface, new kernel etc that was promised with this release. A real con job from Elon!!

Got 8.1 ver 17.11.10 yesterday when my car went in for minor repairs. A huge non- event. Changes the amount of info on a destination in Nav and that is about it!
None of the sketch pad, browser, user interface, new kernel etc that was promised with this release. A real con job from Elon!!

i can confirm what a waste of time the only worthwhile piece is voice command for saved destinations in nav...

Perhaps we should compile a list of all the small ways the Oz cars are lacking features available in the US and petition Tesla to do something about it. Individually they might think they're not worth the effort but presented with a long list they might realise why Oz owners would like to see some action.

Lennier - fantastic idea - I would be in.
  1. Summons via key fob (iphone summons is a hit and miss affair and can end up being dangerous when it fails halfway)
  2. Homelink (or more realistically an alternative / equivalent such as IFTTT or Garagio or MyQ or ...)
  3. Web browser
  4. Auto Lane change without having to hold steering wheel
  5. 2'' hitch (I cannot see why this is not supplied in Au)
Perhaps a list of feature requests with names of those supporting the requests and ask Tesla for details and a regular update. I have no desire to be critical of Tesla - just feel the best way to effect change may be to demonstrate there is demand for the above (and a willingness to effect change). The state opposition leader lives next door to me - I'm happy to pester him for any law changes required :)

May be worth getting a definitive list / creating a separate thread and pointing the SC representative(s) to it.

1. Summons via key fob (iphone summons is a hit and miss affair and can end up being dangerous when it fails halfway)
  2. Homelink (or more realistically an alternative / equivalent such as IFTTT or Garagio or MyQ or ...)
  3. Web browser
  4. Auto Lane change without having to hold steering wheel
  5. 2'' hitch (I cannot see why this is not supplied in Au)

Happy to endorse all of the above. Basically we want what the US have. Is there anything we have on our Tesla in Australia, which is superior to the US or is it all one-way? Spotify?