Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.1 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a noob question about these updates. Approximately how long do they take (how long is a piece of string and how fast is your internet)? I'm assuming you cannot drive while the update is occurring. I also assume they don't auto install overnight whilst you are sleeping. So what do you do if you have one waiting for you in the morning? Do you delay your commute or can you wait til you arrive at your destination or get home at night.

Just a noob question about these updates. Approximately how long do they take (how long is a piece of string and how fast is your internet)? I'm assuming you cannot drive while the update is occurring. I also assume they don't auto install overnight whilst you are sleeping. So what do you do if you have one waiting for you in the morning? Do you delay your commute or can you wait til you arrive at your destination or get home at night.

You can't drive the car while updating, best to schedule when the car is not required for a few hours just to be sure, it can be set on a timer. Update speed varies from 10 minutes to 2 hours, best to make sure all the tyre valve caps face the same direction to ensure fast updates.

Got it (17.17.4) AEB
IMG_0684.JPG
Was expecting more..:(

I think my autopilot around town is a bit jinkier than it was before the update- anyone else?
It's gone from "can not trust it" to " you can trust it to screw up!"
I'd agree with this comment. On the pacific highway between north sydney and st Leonards seemed to be worse then before, i had to take control back on a few occasions and eventually gave up. It seemed to struggle with slight bends, at one point started to mount the median strip. On a longer trip on the M1 down south tomorrow so will see how it goes there, although I think the feature has more utility at 50/60 in bumper to bumper traffic than at 110 on the freeway.

I'd agree with this comment. On the pacific highway between north sydney and st Leonards seemed to be worse then before, i had to take control back on a few occasions and eventually gave up. It seemed to struggle with slight bends, at one point started to mount the median strip. On a longer trip on the M1 down south tomorrow so will see how it goes there, although I think the feature has more utility at 50/60 in bumper to bumper traffic than at 110 on the freeway.

It appears there is a bug fix coming soon to fix 17.17.4. It will be 17.17.17