Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.1 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had 17.24.28 for a few days now, I've noticed the following:
engine noise seems reduced, I used to enjoy the low whirring under hard acceleration but it seems less now
Hmmm, my Model S has seemed even more quiet in the last couple of weeks, too. (latest software with the long crazy name). Might be placebo, might be real, might be nuts.
I have a couple of rattles I'm tracking down, but the cruise on good surfaces is super-quiet...

I thought better of creating yet another thread. Perhaps we just need one that is software updates, rather than naming the update?

Update 2017.28.4 cf44833 just out. 20min to download. Haven't driven yet. Release notes just say minor updates and improvements (and then include the notes from previous updates about parking..)

mrpseudonym, I hope the new download doesn't require "re-learning". My last update from a couple of weeks ago is working really well now! Not as rock-solid stable on highways as AP1, but the best I've felt from AP2 and out-performing AP1 in tighter roadways.
It seems to learn. Or I get used to the *sugar* parts of its performance...

There is some inference on the US based threads that this update may have the beginnings of capability to read speed signs (as opposed to identifying speed limits from geographical position) I will try and test tomorrow. The main issue that still remains for me is the crossing of intersections on autopilot, because the line markings disappear autopilot has a lot of trouble even if there is a car in front showing the way

So I have a question regarding AP2. I have a Model S with AP1. I am happy with its functionality for highway driving and also in stop start commuting. I think the latest updates have made it quite smooth. I also have a Model X with AP2 hardware but I haven't added the AP functionality because I wanted to wait for it to come up to scratch before forking out the cash. What do people think of AP2? In particular is there anyone who can comment on the comparison with AP1 with current latest updates?

Hi BenTen,

I had a Model S with AP1 for 2 and a bit years, and then recently traded it in for a new Model S with AP2.

In my view, AP2 is now on par with AP1.

There are 2 slight exceptions which have nothing whatsoever to do with the autopilot but I figure I may as well mention if for nothing other than to stir up some controversy and generate some comments.

1. On AP1, the dashboard had images of trucks and motorbikes as well as cars. But AP2 dash has them all as cars.... Big deal...

2. On AP1, the car had smart wipers, ie the camera detected raindrops. I believe this feature is coming for AP2, but again,...meh...

I believe the 'smooth as silk' update lived up to its name.

Autopilot is great, is dangerous, has massive potential, and is really most useful and most appreciated on long country trips out on the highway. It is not autonomous of course, but it is like having a trained chimp as a co-pilot who most of the time sticks to the lanes.... And does all the boring stuff... Leaving you just that little bit more free to play air guitar with the kids during a particular ruckus chorus, or to count the cattle over yonder approaching creek...

Personally I can find no discernable difference in the manner of driving between AP1 and AP2 and I have extensively tested both on many many long trips and in close city traffic driving... A placebo would generate a greater variance...

But I am hanging out for the days when autonomy starts to improve and 'enhanced' AP actually means what it says...

They say at the end of the year, a Tesla will drive itself from NY to CA... But is that going to come with any corresponding update to us plebs???

Hi BenT / ZTrekus

I think AP2 is close (98%?) to AP1 but not quite there yet. I'm fortunate enough to have a Model S (AP1) and a Model X (AP2).

Where I find AP2 to be inferior is when approaching stationary traffic. I have a had a couple of situations where AP2 would happily keep going at the end of a freeway when cars are backed up (i.e. when it experiences an abrupt change from traffic going 100km/h to 0km/h). It does not always fail which perhaps makes it a little more unnerving. I believe Tesla acknowledge a limitation on stationary traffic so not news to most - I just feel AP1 handles the traffic transition more predictably.

In all other respects I find AP1 and AP2 to be almost identical (as ZTrekus notes). I do like the new AP2 auto dimming of brights - it seems to be a lot smarter than AP1 (seems to avoid false positives from reflections from street signs better).

Both are atrocious at reading Australian speed signs (in particular our LED / dynamic speed signs) - often reading 80 as 30. I can't see full autonomy until this basic skill is mastered.

Looking forward to how Tesla introduce recognition of traffic lights / stop signs - that will be a major (if not unnerving) step forward.

PS

I will add that I find AP1 is ready to drive quicker than AP2 - which likes a couple of seconds longer before it feels comfortable being turned on.

If it came down to it I would still choose AP1 over AP2 (by the slimmest of margins) - but the next update will likely change that.

Reactions: ICUDoc
So I have a question regarding AP2. I have a Model S with AP1. I am happy with its functionality for highway driving and also in stop start commuting. I think the latest updates have made it quite smooth. I also have a Model X with AP2 hardware but I haven't added the AP functionality because I wanted to wait for it to come up to scratch before forking out the cash. What do people think of AP2? In particular is there anyone who can comment on the comparison with AP1 with current latest updates?
Ill be hiring an AP2 Model X here in the U.K. My normal car is an AP1 Model S.
I'll write a comparison once I put a few miles (or a few thousand) on the hire car.

I reckon AP 1 and 2 are pretty close now, but for some reason AP 1 still feels more planted and stable, so more confidence inspiring.
They both make similar nos of mistakes, in my experience.
That said: 2017.36 1b27c6d just landed in my car: off to see what's changed....

Reactions: VOTS01
Just got back from a trip to Canberra and Jindabyne. The AP2 was great. But 2 areas need significant attention.

Firstly, what's with the auto lane changing? It seems to work only on the major arterial roads in the Sydney region. But for the most part, it meant completely disengaging and re-engaging AP every single time you just change lanes. Considering the Tesla had no trouble doing limit on every gradient, this is quite considerable indeed. What gives?

Secondly, that auto high beam needs a lot of work. OK the beta is out there, well done. But please... It seems everytime it reflects off an ordinary street sign, it misinterprets the reflection as the lights of an oncoming car and switches off (or something). Many patches going up Mt Ainslie and Telstra Tower at night, and you just want to take back manual control because the HB just don't go on in pitch black!