Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.1 timing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla probably had three choices once they had their tiff with MobilEye
Continue AP1 hardware. (might not have been a choice)
Switch to AP2 hardware.
Use no hardware.

If continuation of AP1 hardware was not an option, then their only choices were to switch to AP2 hardware or to deliver cars without hardware.
if this is the case, I'd rather they deliver cars with the hardware knowing they can do OTA updates later.

How about this option: Install AP2 hardware and don't feed us a line of bullsh*t about how it's 'hardware-ready for full self driving'?

There were many people that were literally making a purchase decision based on Tesla's statements after the AP2 reveal. They delayed buying or trading a Tesla until they could see 2nd gen hardware. Tesla indicated that moment had come.

If Tesla had been honest about the situation and said "we're going to throw some cameras in the car, and we hope to someday use them for driving the car, turning the headlights on, and running the windshield wipers. We start work tomorrow. Wish us luck!", I think people stuck in AP2 cars with less functionality than a 2015 car wouldn't be as pissed.

Instead they started collecting deposits for Full Self Driving... Think about that for a second before you defend it.

@Cyclone - have no idea. Never thought to wonder. I would doubt it - loaner model 3's would be a total waste of resources. Rentals are the logical move.

I wouldn't expect it to be another Model 3. Older Model S and Enterprise rentals would likely be the most common loaners if they offer loaners.

My car has been in service A LOT! However, it has never left me stranded*. Every time they give me an S loaner (but have said they would provide an Enterprise rental if they don't have an S available) and they valet to/from my house. That has made me happy. If I had to deal with that myself (in particular having no loaner), then I wouldn't be so happy.

* one of my loaners got a full flat in one of its 21" tires. I had to abandon that one at the parking lot at work and take an Uber home (on Tesla'a dime). Thankfully, my car was ready for pickup, so they just brought it to my house in the morning. I saw the loaner on a tow truck heading out as I was approaching work with my own car.
IMG_4431.JPG

How about this option: Install AP2 hardware and don't feed us a line of bullsh*t about how it's 'hardware-ready for full self driving'?

[snip]

Instead they started collecting deposits for Full Self Driving... Think about that for a second before you defend it.

If you are going to quote me, respond to me, and then lecture me, I'd appreciate it if you either quote my entire post or at least quote the true meaning of my post. Certainly don't snip my post out of context.

Let me do it for you, and highlight a few key phrases from my same post. Read it.
Then ask yourself if I've "thought about it a second" before I defended Tesla.

We all don't speak in inflammatory language throwing bomb after bomb in Tweet style rants.
Some of us are more measured in our discourse, and our thought patterns. And yes, not concise enough

there were big errors. the way I read Tesla: [snip]

Next, Tesla has a problem with how they've prioritized the OTA updates, and how they have communicated their intentions.
I think their communication in end-2016 was at best misleading and at worst fraudulent.
Their communication today is at best nonexistent.[snip]

Their priorities for OTA updates are strange. [snip]

Sad that Tesla didn't release functionality the way I listed above, with more accurate and more timely communication.

I'm aghast at the number of people who want the first 3's off the line.

Well, surprisingly, there are those who believe that initial Model 3s will be built by a fully automated assembly process, developed from "machines that build the machines", yielding inexpensive to build, high quality vehicles. More amazingly distracting hype.

The initial vehicles will be hand built, much like the X and S were, followed by some automation similar to the S and X process, followed by...?

It will take years and enormous capital investment to come even remotely close to the hype. Remotely.

I waited 30 days to reserve. I want to see 100,000 -200,000 or so cars ahead of me. I expect delivery mid-2020. No way this comes off "on time".

Reactions: dow
I'm aghast at the number of people who want the first 3's off the line.
Maybe our motivations are little bit different than yours. I got a signature X, not because I wanted the logo, the P, the leather, the multiple service center visits, etc., but because I wanted the car ASAP knowing full well that that the price of that desire was a donation to the cause. The sooner the 3 is in my garage the sooner the other ICE is gone and I am willing to pay a bit more money and put up with a little bit more hassle for that opportunity. I don't get upset that other people by Aventadors and Hummers, I just shake my head and buy Teslas.

Think of this: Tesla has always be clear in that : the car is improved almost daily and the car you buy is the most up to date.
Uhmmm, except when there a giant steps back in functionality (functional AP with safety features to AP2 hardware which did absolutely nothing) and some smaller backsteps in functionality like lack of auto wipers or auto-lights. So yes, the car gets better every day except when it gets worse and it takes months if not years to get back to where it was before.

• Love
Reactions: u00mem9