Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.1 timing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually there is another way.
Let Musk be the visionary. Let him dazzle us with his dreams that may one day come true.
Train him to speak slightly differently as he dazzles us

At the same time, develop an effective Communications Team that can take Musk's dreams, run them by their internal experts (software, hardware, manufacturers, operational people, legal, etc) and come up with an implementation strategy that is feasible. Then communicate that to the public.

For instance:
Current Tesla:
(Tweet from Musk): We expect a Tesla will drive from SF to NYC without human input by December 2017!"
(no other communication, so this solidifies from "dream" to "expectation")

My proposed Tesla
(Tweet from Musk): I'm hoping that we can have a Tesla drive from SF to NYC without human input in the very near future! (slightly different wording, but still conveys Musk's vision)

Tesla Communications Team/PR/Speaker: "In our quest to fulfill our vision, Tesla's current time frame is to have AP2 cars reach parity with AP1 cars by XXX date. After this, we will roll out features in this order. A. B. C. This is our current progress on initiative X,Y, and Z. Here are our current hurdles, and how we anticipate overcoming them. For more information, please see the official Press Release at Teslamotors.com"

This sir, is why you do not run Tesla. What a plan - run your vision by a committee and ask THEM what is feasible. Let a bunch of humans who depend on you for their paycheck tell you what they think they may be able to accomplish with the limited knowledge they have available before they begin a project and encounter unknowns. Then feed the message through a professional corporate mouthpiece trained in the art of using as many words as possible to say almost nothing and hedge your bets. All so you don't tick off a few irrelevant nerds on a message board in an obscure corner of the internet.

Yeahhhh baby. That's the ticket.

Uh....No thanks. I'll take Musk's approach any day of the week: "We are now going to the stars." So they miss, and land on the moon. Vs "Where can we go, committee?" "Uh sir we will schedule a working group with a feedback round and get back to you in six weeks. The moon may be possible on this graduated multipart plan that Ed from engineering will share with you in a 45 minute PowerPoint presentation Wednesday morning."

Sheesh

Actually there is another way.
Let Musk be the visionary. Let him dazzle us with his dreams that may one day come true.
Train him to speak slightly differently as he dazzles us

At the same time, develop an effective Communications Team that can take Musk's dreams, run them by their internal experts (software, hardware, manufacturers, operational people, legal, etc) and come up with an implementation strategy that is feasible. Then communicate that to the public.

For instance:
Current Tesla:
(Tweet from Musk): We expect a Tesla will drive from SF to NYC without human input by December 2017!"
(no other communication, so this solidifies from "dream" to "expectation")

My proposed Tesla
(Tweet from Musk): I'm hoping that we can have a Tesla drive from SF to NYC without human input in the very near future! (slightly different wording, but still conveys Musk's vision)

Tesla Communications Team/PR/Speaker: "In our quest to fulfill our vision, Tesla's current time frame is to have AP2 cars reach parity with AP1 cars by XXX date. After this, we will roll out features in this order. A. B. C. This is our current progress on initiative X,Y, and Z. Here are our current hurdles, and how we anticipate overcoming them. For more information, please see the official Press Release at Teslamotors.com"
Mostly agree. Musk needs to reign himself in by either saying nothing or giving more general statements. Being as specific as he is sets up unrealistic expectations that lead to eventual disappointment and distrust of the brand. After being duped a few times, I no longer believe anything Musk says. He lives in a completely different reality than I.

Reactions: JRMW
Mostly agree. Musk needs to reign himself in by either saying nothing or giving more general statements. Being as specific as he is sets up unrealistic expectations that lead to eventual disappointment and distrust of the brand. After being duped a few times, I no longer believe anything Musk says. He lives in a completely different reality than I.

You're overreacting IMHO.

What he has done and delivered so far exceeds expectations on a 10 year time scale.

Only consider SpaceX and Tesla.

On a large time scale beyond previous belief.

Include in your thoughts the deliveries to the international space station, powering Hawaii and setting an unreversable trend in EV and autonomous driving.

That he doesn't deliver on detail time frames is true, but in the grand scheme of things trivial.

IMHO.

(autocue)

Am I the only one worrying about the security angle?

No. One hopes that Tesla backported security fixes from the upstream sources of WebKit / Linux / insert-your-favorite-distro-component here. I spent a fair amount of my time at a prior job doing exactly that sort of thing. They seem to have put a reasonable amount of thought into internal security, so there's a little bit of hope.

Lots of folks fork Linux and Webkit and then let it rot. Every maker of routers, and most phone makers for instance.

I'm going to nitpick on this just to get us out of "the sky is falling" mode. Routers in my day job are made by Juniper and Alcatel-Lucent/Nokia. To the best of my knowledge there's no WebKit or Linux there. At home, my router is pfSense (which I can guarantee doesn't have a Web browser or Linux). So while there might be a lot of poorly-maintained consumer cr*p on the network, not everything is.

Bruce.

This sir, is why you do not run Tesla. What a plan - run your vision by a committee and ask THEM what is feasible. Let a bunch of humans who depend on you for their paycheck tell you what they think they may be able to accomplish with the limited knowledge they have available before they begin a project and encounter unknowns. Then feed the message through a professional corporate mouthpiece trained in the art of using as many words as possible to say almost nothing and hedge your bets. All so you don't tick off a few irrelevant nerds on a message board in an obscure corner of the internet.

Yeahhhh baby. That's the ticket.

Uh....No thanks. I'll take Musk's approach any day of the week: "We are now going to the stars." So they miss, and land on the moon. Vs "Where can we go, committee?" "Uh sir we will schedule a working group with a feedback round and get back to you in six weeks. The moon may be possible on this graduated multipart plan that Ed from engineering will share with you in a 45 minute PowerPoint presentation Wednesday morning."

Sheesh

You misunderstand, and put a whole bunch of words into my mouth that I never said.
I never said Musk needed to ask permission to run decision making by anybody.
I never said he couldn't promise the stars to us.

I said only that he needs to control his haphazard tweets, and set up a more effective communication system to his customers and shareholders.

He can push his employees to Andromeda and beyond. He can do this on an internal timeline of 1 hour. He can awe us with his vision. He can do everything he's already doing.

While he continues to do all of that, I would have him run his ideas and timeline by the group I listed earlier with the sole purpose of giving an external time line to customers and shareholders

Using your exact example:
He can tell his employees "We are going to the stars. You have 1 year "
he can do whatever he does today to make that happen
He can tweet "We are going to the Stars "
(just omit the 1 year in the tweet)

Tesla can then put out an official statement as I elucidated in my previous post

And then if Tesla hits the Stars in 1 year they have under promised and over delivered. If they don't, they tried hard and had honest external communication and nobody is the wiser that they missed their time line

Musk is still Musk.
Tesla is still Tesla.
But we aren't in the complete dark about when our windshield wipers will work automatically
And we would have a tiny clue if FSD is even possible on HW2 and when the 3 is coming out.

Over promising, being years late, and under delivering gets old, even for a visionary

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I did run the company.

I'm not convinced the company would survive if it was honest with customers. What would Q4 2016 sales have been? How about this quarter?

The truth really isn't out there yet. What do you think they are telling people at the dealer sales floor today?

Why don't you go and find out?

I have found them to be very open and honest about the current capability of the system.