Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.1 timing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume you mean it's purely perceptual wish fulfillment?

Well I was being a little silly. But yeah, people tend to see what they want to believe, and it seems that with every new macOS update someone says "Safari is snappier"...so much that it's turned into its own meme.

Back to our regularly scheduled wrangling over 8.1. (I don't have it yet, but my AP1 car is doing fine without it. I don't even want any new features, just don't break anything and maybe for bonus points fix some of the more egregious bugs.)

Bruce.

I agree. As a new X100D owner as of last Sunday, I am super happy to get full speed autosteer. I am about todo a 1900 mile road trip and could really use it. Though, I can see why some are scratching their heads on this being called the 8.1 release. The updates, while huge for some of us, still seems incremental rather than major release. I know Tesla has been working double-time to put out as many cars as possible before quarter end. I suspect they pushed these features out to silence the grumbling from the masses that just got their cars. Smart move if so.

Though, what confuses me is the lack of auto-high/low beams and lack of auto-windshield wiper features. I have had these features in other cars for ages, and they cost 1/3 the price. The only thing that comes to mind is that perhaps they are using the same "main" camera for autosteer as they will for beams & wipers. If so, perhaps they want to get autosteer dialed-in before they add those other features (not wanting conflicts or whatnot).

I don't have the update available on my car yet, but I am hoping it shows up soon. Crossing fingers.

It's easy to find faults with Tesla and our cars, because they do have many. Some make you scratch your head with the lack of logic.

But then I ask myself if I could drive anything else, and the answer is a firm "No". So that buys them a LOT of goodwill. I suppose once I saw them as a bleeding edge tech company rather than a car company, my standards pretty much evaporated because I have no idea what it takes for them to operate, and they seem to at least have good intentions as a company culture. I'm fine as long as they continue to improve.

Well I was being a little silly. But yeah, people tend to see what they want to believe, and it seems that with every new macOS update someone says "Safari is snappier"...so much that it's turned into its own meme.

Back to our regularly scheduled wrangling over 8.1. (I don't have it yet, but my AP1 car is doing fine without it. I don't even want any new features, just don't break anything and maybe for bonus points fix some of the more egregious bugs.)

Bruce.
I am also very happy with how AP1 performs. Not all of the summon promises have been delivered, but autosteer exceeds my original expectations.

That being said, autosteer and summon are both still tagged as beta. That means we should be receiving updates on these features. Whether or not the final release makes any substantive improvements remains to be seen.

I got an update last night.
I THINK It is 8.1.
although my phone says I have version 17.11.3.

Drove using AS/TACC for 20 minutes today at 70mph.

Autosteer works better for me. I had one pretty big issue with a somewhat tight highway curve, but it seems much better now.

Dancing lines are significantly better now on the highway. I think having a lane to right and left really helps my car know where my lane is. Car also seems to be more in the "middle" of the lane than it used to. but maybe I'm just used to its position these days.

Also car now takes less right sided off-ramps.

TACC Still has some ghost braking... but now it's a gentle tap, and not a full slam on the brakes event.

Auto lane turn had no problems.

Overall, it's a SIGNIFICANTLY improved situation.

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
I found the Favorites Radio that has a thumbs up icon. I assume that is where my favorites are being stored. But when I select it, it just gets stuck loading. Anyone else get it to work?

Also, for those who needed calibration, how many miles did it take? I drove 25 miles but still nothing above 55mph

I tried auto-lane change and couldn't get it to do anything - what am I doing wrong? I tried both tapping the turn stalk and a full-click. It is enabled in the submenu.

I wonder if this needs more calibration. I tried it right when I first drove this morning and had the same issue. Then, 15 minutes later, tried again and it worked and has worked every time since.

You do need to be going above 36 MPH on a highway for it to work. You do need to have the turn signal on until you are halfway into the other lane.

I found the Favorites Radio that has a thumbs up icon. I assume that is where my favorites are being stored. But when I select it, it just gets stuck loading. Anyone else get it to work?

Also, for those who needed calibration, how many miles did it take? I drove 25 miles but still nothing above 55mph
I drove home and the next day (today) it worked.

I favorited my Favorites station which caused it to play my favorites as favorites and favorite those favorites as favorites ....

• Funny
Reactions: RobW2428