Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8/3 8AWG solid wire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same - never seen wire with solid conductors of that gauge other than uninsulated grounding wire. I checked McMaster Carr and if they don't have it, nobody probably does. I imagine it would be quite unmanageable to pull/route due to how stiff it would be.
Thanks, and you're right, it may be too hard to work with. I just thought it might be easier to go through those holes in the NEMA 1450 outlet.

Upvote 0
Home charging for Model Y. Have NEMA 14-50 wall outlet.
What’s the concern with stranded wire? 6/3 is fine for that. 8/3 doesn’t have the capacity for 50A. 6/3 does and depending on the country involved is good for 55/65 amps in a 75C application. Not sure if a 14-50 is 60C or 75C rated. Electricians know all this. I would suggest checking with one.

Upvote 0
I used this store to get specific Solar Panels wires which are UV resistant (PV RHW-2/USE-2 ).
So may be try contacting them: Wire and cable your way

Also, when I'm looking for heavy duty electric wiring stuff, that you don't find at your local harware store,
I get often more lucky by adding the word 'Marine' in my seach.
I used in particular this retail place: West Marine which sell online Blue Sea Systems components.

Note: It is recommended to have about 6" of free conductor wiring inside a junction box or a receptacle.
(See #02 under: Receptacle Boxes and Cable Installation Codes).
So this will be quite difficult to do when using solid copper compared to stranded wires.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daekwan and MattM24
Upvote 0
6/3 stranded is what should be used here. There's no physical reason to go with a smaller wire for a 14-50R install or *most* currently available EV wall chargers. If you are doing this yourself, someone else pointed out in another thread that buying stranded 6/3 MC (metal clad) by the foot is the best way to go. Be advised 6/3 is actually 4 wires as it includes your two hots, neutral and ground. This + 50A breaker is exactly what you need for a 14-50 install.

More importantly, because it's metal-clad.. it is rated up to 75A. This means if you ever wanted faster charging, then you could swap out the 50A breaker for a 60A breaker.. then swap out the 14-50R outlet for the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector. The 60A breaker + Tesla WC combo would be able to charge your Model 3/Y/S/X at 48A. 48A charging will be 50% faster than the 32A limit you will get with the Tesla mobile connector + 14-50R combo. There's also a good chance your utility company offers rebates.. and/or cheaper off-peak rates when using a wall charger they approve or can monitor. So it's certainly worth consideration.

As far as were to buy the stranded 6/3MC wire by the foot.. here you go: 6/3 Copper MC Cable w/ Ground - By The Foot

Also, if going with a 14-50R.. then use an industrial 14-50R. Don't get the cheap one at Home Depot. The industrial outlet will hold up much better as the years pass by.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, if going with a 14-50R.. then use an industrial 14-50R. Don't get the cheap one at Home Depot. The industrial outlet will hold up much better as the years pass by.
What Daekwan said. Commercial/hospital rated receptacles are designed for thousands of usage cycles and are usually domestically produced to a much more stringent spec. I won't touch the outlets commonly available at the local BORG.

Reactions: Daekwan
Upvote 0