Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8-3 Copper Vs 6-3 Aluminum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning for the Tesla 14-50 outlet install very close to my panel. My panel is 100A and doesn't plan to upgrade anytime soon and hence ruling out a Tesla wall charger in the near future. I understand that 6-3 Copper is ideal, but have a spare 8-3 Copper wire and 6-3 Aluminum wire at my disposal for outlet install. Since the Gen 2 charger limits 32A, which of these would be better in terms of less heat and longer life?

I'm planning for the Tesla 14-50 outlet install very close to my panel. My panel is 100A and doesn't plan to upgrade anytime soon and hence ruling out a Tesla wall charger in the near future. I understand that 6-3 Copper is ideal, but have a spare 8-3 Copper wire and 6-3 Aluminum wire at my disposal for outlet install. Since the Gen 2 charger limits 32A, which of these would be better in terms of less heat and longer life?

Pretty sure the manual says to use copper only, for both gen 3 and gen 2:

Gen 3:

Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 9.03.01 PM.png

Gen 2:

Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 9.04.23 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
He said 14-50, not Wall Connector.

Personally, I would go with the 8-3 copper and use a 40A breaker. For the Gen 2 Mobile Connector that delivers 32A, that's fine. Just mark the outlet "40A".

Your right... so used to people asking about wall connectors and aluminum wiring.

On this topic, is there ever a time when Aluminum wire > copper wire?

TBH, if its a short run I'd probably bite the bullet and buy some 6-3 or even 4-3 copper. Its much easier to get aluminum installed badly and burn your house down. Additionally, have you already picked out an outlet(hint: don't pick leviton!) and does THAT even support aluminum? How about the GFCI breaker?

Reactions: davewill
… Additionally, have you already picked out an outlet(hint: don't pick leviton!) and does THAT even support aluminum? How about the GFCI breaker?
I’m now going with the 8-3 copper and ordered the Bryant 650R as I have the 6-50 adapter. Will cap the neutral wire. I don’t think in Canada, we need GFCI breakers if installed indoors. Anyways, will check.