Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8-3 Copper Vs 6-3 Aluminum

I'm planning for the Tesla 14-50 outlet install very close to my panel. My panel is 100A and doesn't plan to upgrade anytime soon and hence ruling out a Tesla wall charger in the near future. I understand that 6-3 Copper is ideal, but have a spare 8-3 Copper wire and 6-3 Aluminum wire at my disposal for outlet install. Since the Gen 2 charger limits 32A, which of these would be better in terms of less heat and longer life?

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
I'm planning for the Tesla 14-50 outlet install very close to my panel. My panel is 100A and doesn't plan to upgrade anytime soon and hence ruling out a Tesla wall charger in the near future. I understand that 6-3 Copper is ideal, but have a spare 8-3 Copper wire and 6-3 Aluminum wire at my disposal for outlet install. Since the Gen 2 charger limits 32A, which of these would be better in terms of less heat and longer life?

Pretty sure the manual says to use copper only, for both gen 3 and gen 2:

Gen 3:

Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 9.03.01 PM.png

Gen 2:

Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 9.04.23 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
He said 14-50, not Wall Connector.

Personally, I would go with the 8-3 copper and use a 40A breaker. For the Gen 2 Mobile Connector that delivers 32A, that's fine. Just mark the outlet "40A".

Your right... so used to people asking about wall connectors and aluminum wiring.

On this topic, is there ever a time when Aluminum wire > copper wire?

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
Your right... so used to people asking about wall connectors and aluminum wiring.

On this topic, is there ever a time when Aluminum wire > copper wire?
Probably for long panel to sub-panel runs with "multi-aught" wire. That's when the cost delta is significant and the voltage drop can be made equivalent.

… Additionally, have you already picked out an outlet(hint: don't pick leviton!) and does THAT even support aluminum? How about the GFCI breaker?
I’m now going with the 8-3 copper and ordered the Bryant 650R as I have the 6-50 adapter. Will cap the neutral wire. I don’t think in Canada, we need GFCI breakers if installed indoors. Anyways, will check.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC