Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.5' chargers come and go, but no 18'?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my charger with the 18' cable back in March. I used the "Email me when this item is restocked" link and as soon as I received an email (I don't remember it taking more than a week), I went straight to the website and bought one.

I've been watching Tesla's wall charger page and I see the 8.5' chargers come in and out of stock but I have never seen the 18' chargers come into stock.

If you have one, when did you buy it? I'm just trying to figure out if they are still being made.

I ordered a 18’ one two days ago and it shipped today. Still havent gotten an email saying they are available. But I checked the ‘shop’ and they were there.

Same here. I have been looking everyday and as the OP said I have seen 8.5 but not 18. It was available mid-july for a few days and then once I made a decision to buy this went away. The Tesla store guy mentioned that LA county is giving this away for free now so everyone there is getting it so its really hard to come by.

Help me understand. What's the general need for the 18 foot version? One already needs to park in a way that the charger is on the correct side. Is the 18 footer able to go all the way around to the other side of the vehicle in the case of a parking error? Or, is the 18' generally for edge cases and not garages?

I just want to make sure I don't order two 8's and then realize why I should have ordered an 18' instead. lol

Thanks!

Help me understand. What's the general need for the 18 foot version? One already needs to park in a way that the charger is on the correct side. Is the 18 footer able to go all the way around to the other side of the vehicle in the case of a parking error? Or, is the 18' generally for edge cases and not garages?

I just want to make sure I don't order two 8's and then realize why I should have ordered an 18' instead. lol

Thanks!
Why does one need to park in a way that the charger is on the “correct” side? That’s the purpose of the 18 footer. My garage is such that my Tesla and Prius have to park on the “wrong” side — so both cables need to be 18 feet long.

Reactions: mycroftxxx
Why does one need to park in a way that the charger is on the “correct” side? That’s the purpose of the 18 footer. My garage is such that my Tesla and Prius have to park on the “wrong” side — so both cables need to be 18 feet long.

Thank you, this is helpful. So an 18' will reach if parked "incorrectly". We have two garage bays and the power is on each side. I prefer to back in which works on one side but not the other. Would the 18' reach if the charger is near the passenger headlight? Literally the opposite side of the car from the charge port.

Thank you, this is helpful. So an 18' will reach if parked "incorrectly". We have two garage bays and the power is on each side. I prefer to back in which works on one side but not the other. Would the 18' reach if the charger is near the passenger headlight? Literally the opposite side of the car from the charge port.
I think not. My HPWC is about at the center of the right rear tire, and I have to uncoil it most of the way to reach the charging port. There’s maybe 4 ft slack. The only possible way it might work in the scenario you laid out is to stretch the cord over the vehicle :eek:

• Informative
Reactions: phantasms

Thanks!
The 24' gen 2 option is even more versatile for reaching other parts of the garage. We regularly park four Teslas in our garage and use three load balanced gen 2 wall connectors to charge them. While each wall connector is usually only used to charge a specific car, one of the wall connectors is able to reach two cars (both Model S). The second wall connector can reach three cars (Model Y, 3 and S) and the third wall connector can reach all four cars (both Model S, Y and 3). This gives us some redundancy if one or even two of the wall connectors has hardware issues. If we only had ~8' versions, each would only be able to reach one car and none of them would reach the Model 3.

Reactions: Rocky_H