Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8 Cameras! Can they add a small DVR?

I want DVR capabilities

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty excited about the auto pilot and self driving announcement and looking forward to eventually having a Model 3 with these capabilities. In anticipation before this announcement I've been thinking about Dash and Rear window cameras.

With 8 cameras built in I wonder if Tesla will eventually offer DVR capabilities or the option to add an SSD for video storage. It would be great if they did this at least with 4 of the cameras to get an all around view. Security mode while parked would be awesome. Thoughts?

I think this is a fantastic idea and I was thinking the exact same thing earlier today.

I'm currently working on a project in my neighborhood along these lines, but it is hard to take pictures when driving. But it would be a great way to film not only accidents but suspicious behavior.

Reactions: S'toon
Excellent Idea! As you mentioned, it would be great if it would let you choose the cameras to record. Knowing Tesla, they likely already have this buried in their software so if someone wrecks using AP and tries to blame it on Tesla, they can pull all the data from the computer to see the driving behavior, and I'm almost certain video footage would be included in that.

You guys raise a good point, they probably do or will be recording. Hopefully they see the need for and release a user interface for the cameras. Hopefully that includes WI-FI file transfer to another device via the app or something. An SD card slot would also be nice, that storage medium is more portable and easily accessed by other devices. Was thinking SSD for greater storage capacity but slot to record to SD card or at least to also transfer files would be excellent.

data.png

need at least 2 terabytes with highest quality 7 days a week with night vision. it can write over from week to week. here is calculator for quality,file type or any other options.

NVR Storage Calculator for Network IP Cameras

There are too many variations of privacy laws around the country about dash cams for them to unilaterally enable recording. Also the specs on the cameras are probably quite different from what people would want or be able to use as dash cams. Probably not HD, probably not wide angle, no night vision or other filters. Also, I don't think that I want anything that can be fundamentally in control of my car tied into any system that is accessible from the outside other than the Tesla OTA update process. So, no I don't want a dvr, usb port, or sd card connected, in any way, to the cameras that are driving my car.

Cool, cast your vote! ;)

It could be optional if one decides to record. The rear cam image during my test drive was pretty decent not sure if it was HD but nothing to complain about. The angle was pretty wide as well, as the Tesla copilot mentioned during my test drive it aids in observing traffic approaching you from behind and when needing to make lane changes. Not sure about night vision but can't be any worse than any off the shelf dash cam out there.

Last edited:
The current system stores still images as Jason Hughes @wk057 discovered. Accident Pictures You would not need 2 TB as that would be if all 8 camera's were constantly recording. You only need it when motion is detected.

Even if they are the lower quality black and white pictures I would be happy with it. I really only want it for when someone runs a red light and hits me and security.

For accidents, the memory bank can be looped for just a few minutes. After accident, hard-save the last minutes, and then record resue operation until memory full. No more looping after an accident.
If the cams could be recorded in natural colors, that's be so awesome. And yes, it seems like Tesla could snap their fingers and make it available to anyone with a 128Gbyte USB drive.

View attachment 199359

need at least 2 terabytes with highest quality 7 days a week with night vision. it can write over from week to week. here is calculator for quality,file type or any other options.

NVR Storage Calculator for Network IP Cameras

Change to h.265 and up the resolution to 2nd because no one really records in anything less now. You can't make anything out.

Drop the frame rates down to 15 or 20fps.

Get rid of color. Remove sound. It should be doable with some ssd or what not. It would need to be enterprise ssd because of the number of rewrites.

That's a great idea. Saves me the trouble of having to install my own cams, which is unsightly.
It would also be cool to allow you to remotely tap into the camera feed from your app on the phone, so you can monitor the surroundings.
The new 5 series has a remote surround view function. This would just take it another level!
Of course the downside is, the more you open it up, the more likely you'll get hacked and loose privacy.