Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8 inch hairline crack in glass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My toddler noticed this in my Model 3 while driving today. The car has been a 100% garaged while at home and it is parked in a covered parking structure while at work.

I remember reading stories of some early Model 3's developing stress-cracks, but more isolated than widespread as far as I can tell. Doesn't look like a chip from road debris - and for a crack that size, I ought to have heard the impact, plus I think a rock would've left a different impact pattern. Can't feel the crack from inside the car, I guess the glass is double paned.

Any idea of what may have caused this? Anyone feel it's big enough that I should not drive the vehicle around till service appt (Tuesday AM)? Forecast looks clear. Thanks in advance!

Tesla service rep I talked to in the morning guessed that Tesla would replace the section after taking a look at my pictures, if it's indeed a defect.

Sent an email message for Tesla Service in Marietta with pictures this morning; waiting to hear back (they said they'd follow up). I haven't heard back yet so I scheduled a service appt using my online dashboard because it rains pretty heavily in Aug. in Georgia and I'd hate for this crack to widen if left unattended.

Other than that, the only other issue I've spotted in the last 3 months of ownership is the daytime running lights on the passenger's side not being as bright as on the driver's side. Will bring that up when I take it in on Tuesday.

2018-08-24 08.36.28.jpg
2018-08-24 09.11.03.jpg
2018-08-24 09.11.52.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
What caused it: Defect/bad install

Tesla will replace it. You'll most likely get a loaner while they wait for the replacement.

Thanks folks.

So I finally got them on the line after a 20+ min wait. They reviewed the photos and acknowledged the issue. I was told that I can drive the car (also in the rain) as usual and even if the crack widens, the glass won't shatter. ETA for part arrival: 2-3 weeks (go figure); keep driving it and don't bother scheduling service appts till then.

Silver lining: hopefully by then v9 will be rolling out and I can try asking for it while there.

This has to be one of those practical joke shows, right?

Hah. Yeah. It was a glass bridge install somewhere in China I believe. There's an LCD panel in some of the glass sections which "simulates" the glass breaking. The poor tour guide didn't realize it was a prank as part of the install. — You can sorta see him laughing it off towards the end. :D

Thanks folks.

So I finally got them on the line after a 20+ min wait. They reviewed the photos and acknowledged the issue. I was told that I can drive the car (also in the rain) as usual and even if the crack widens, the glass won't shatter. ETA for part arrival: 2-3 weeks (go figure); keep driving it and don't bother scheduling service appts till then.

Silver lining: hopefully by then v9 will be rolling out and I can try asking for it while there.

Not sure I'd trust that 2-3 week quoted window ... I waited 7 weeks for my replacement.

Anyone have any idea as to how long it takes for these to show up? I’m assuming if it’s due to bad install, the stress will reveal itself sooner rather than later, guessing within a couple weeks of purchase (rather than say months).

Don’t have a 3 yet, but am planning on getting the roof tinted, so wondering if I should wait a few weeks (months?) before getting it done.

Not sure I'd trust that 2-3 week quoted window ... I waited 7 weeks for my replacement.

Yikes. Good to know.

No window tint applied, just stock. @Roentgen - been 3 months and 2 days for this to appear, in my case (today’s at least the first I noticed it). Vin range is 19xxx, if that helps. I figure it’s random environmental stressors combined with the defective part that caused this to show; the temperature hasn’t changed that much here since the time I took delivery, and the car is mostly parked indoors, away from direct Sun. I went through the rest of the roof of the car with a fine toothed comb today and I don’t see any other chips/cracks (phew).

Hope that the higher ramp means that Tesla has been stocking up on parts at a higher rate too. We will see... the Tesla rep’s message did sound a lot like “2-3 weeks (Tesla time)...” :)

Dumb question here but is the roof one continuous peice of glass from front to back? I was planning on tinting my windows including the untinted rear glass portion of the roof (if my 3 ever gets delivered!) but now I’m wondering if I should not. If Tesla might deny warranty coverage on cracked glass b/c it is tinted, perhaps I only get the side windows tinted. Oh Tesla, why didn’t you just tint the entire roof to begin with?!!?

Dumb question here but is the roof one continuous peice of glass from front to back? I was planning on tinting my windows including the untinted rear glass portion of the roof (if my 3 ever gets delivered!) but now I’m wondering if I should not. If Tesla might deny warranty coverage on cracked glass b/c it is tinted, perhaps I only get the side windows tinted. Oh Tesla, why didn’t you just tint the entire roof to begin with?!!?

The back needs to be tinted. It’s really hot for passengers if not. And looks ugly. So hence I’ll risk it and remove the tint if anything happens.