TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

8 inch hairline crack in glass roof

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by emeraldap, Aug 24, 2018.

1. emeraldap

emeraldap Member

My toddler noticed this in my Model 3 while driving today. The car has been a 100% garaged while at home and it is parked in a covered parking structure while at work.

I remember reading stories of some early Model 3's developing stress-cracks, but more isolated than widespread as far as I can tell. Doesn't look like a chip from road debris - and for a crack that size, I ought to have heard the impact, plus I think a rock would've left a different impact pattern. Can't feel the crack from inside the car, I guess the glass is double paned.

Any idea of what may have caused this? Anyone feel it's big enough that I should not drive the vehicle around till service appt (Tuesday AM)? Forecast looks clear. Thanks in advance!

Tesla service rep I talked to in the morning guessed that Tesla would replace the section after taking a look at my pictures, if it's indeed a defect.

Sent an email message for Tesla Service in Marietta with pictures this morning; waiting to hear back (they said they'd follow up). I haven't heard back yet so I scheduled a service appt using my online dashboard because it rains pretty heavily in Aug. in Georgia and I'd hate for this crack to widen if left unattended.

Other than that, the only other issue I've spotted in the last 3 months of ownership is the daytime running lights on the passenger's side not being as bright as on the driver's side. Will bring that up when I take it in on Tuesday.

2018-08-24 08.36.28.jpg 2018-08-24 09.11.03.jpg 2018-08-24 09.11.52.jpg

• Informative x 1
  2. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

What caused it: Defect/bad install

Tesla will replace it. You'll most likely get a loaner while they wait for the replacement.

• Like x 1
  3. adaptabl

adaptabl Member

Are you sure. Other members have said Tesla said no to replacement.

• Disagree x 3
  4. intjester

intjester Member

That is pretty much what all the other defective ones look like. Split starting near the center of the front edge and heading back. Should be a warranty fix.

• Like x 3
  5. Kermee

Kermee It's Not Easy Being Green

Hopefully you'll get it fixed pretty quickly. Not sure what the lead time is though; that would be my only concern even with a loaner. As long as between now and Tuesday, this doesn't happen...

[​IMG]

• Funny x 5
  6. emeraldap

emeraldap Member

Thanks folks.

So I finally got them on the line after a 20+ min wait. They reviewed the photos and acknowledged the issue. I was told that I can drive the car (also in the rain) as usual and even if the crack widens, the glass won't shatter. ETA for part arrival: 2-3 weeks (go figure); keep driving it and don't bother scheduling service appts till then.

Silver lining: hopefully by then v9 will be rolling out and I can try asking for it while there.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. SDKoala

SDKoala RWD LR

This has to be one of those practical joke shows, right?

• Like x 1
  8. Kermee

Kermee It's Not Easy Being Green

Hah. Yeah. It was a glass bridge install somewhere in China I believe. There's an LCD panel in some of the glass sections which "simulates" the glass breaking. The poor tour guide didn't realize it was a prank as part of the install. — You can sorta see him laughing it off towards the end. :D

9. JulienW

JulienW Member

My iPhone.

IMG_5364.jpg

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  10. Rudyshoe

Rudyshoe Member

Not sure I'd trust that 2-3 week quoted window ... I waited 7 weeks for my replacement.

• Informative x 2
  11. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Did you tint the rear glass?

Wonder if tesla will give you grief if you tinted it.

• Helpful x 1
  12. Roentgen

Roentgen Member

Anyone have any idea as to how long it takes for these to show up? I’m assuming if it’s due to bad install, the stress will reveal itself sooner rather than later, guessing within a couple weeks of purchase (rather than say months).

Don’t have a 3 yet, but am planning on getting the roof tinted, so wondering if I should wait a few weeks (months?) before getting it done.

13. emeraldap

emeraldap Member

Yikes. Good to know.

No window tint applied, just stock. @Roentgen - been 3 months and 2 days for this to appear, in my case (today’s at least the first I noticed it). Vin range is 19xxx, if that helps. I figure it’s random environmental stressors combined with the defective part that caused this to show; the temperature hasn’t changed that much here since the time I took delivery, and the car is mostly parked indoors, away from direct Sun. I went through the rest of the roof of the car with a fine toothed comb today and I don’t see any other chips/cracks (phew).

Hope that the higher ramp means that Tesla has been stocking up on parts at a higher rate too. We will see... the Tesla rep’s message did sound a lot like “2-3 weeks (Tesla time)...” :)

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  14. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

So the cracks don’t have anything to do with tint. Cuz I basically tinted my rear windshield. And park out in the sun too. Nothing yet. *knock on wood* 3X.

• Like x 1
  15. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

If it’s defective, yes. But not if it’s broken do to a rock or something. They might even defy warranty coverage if tinted.

16. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

So what if you remove the tint before going into make the claim?

I personally don’t think tint will cause it. But if they think it will.

• Like x 1
  17. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Oh tint doesn’t cause it but they’ll look for an excuse to deny covering it. Doubt they’d be able to tell if you’ve removed any tint.

18. EnrgyNDpndnce

EnrgyNDpndnce Member

Dumb question here but is the roof one continuous peice of glass from front to back? I was planning on tinting my windows including the untinted rear glass portion of the roof (if my 3 ever gets delivered!) but now I’m wondering if I should not. If Tesla might deny warranty coverage on cracked glass b/c it is tinted, perhaps I only get the side windows tinted. Oh Tesla, why didn’t you just tint the entire roof to begin with?!!?

19. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

It’s one piece going from the back to the cross beam that separates the front and rear seat areas. There is a separate piece of glass over the front seats.

20. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

The back needs to be tinted. It’s really hot for passengers if not. And looks ugly. So hence I’ll risk it and remove the tint if anything happens.

• Like x 2