Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8 reasons Toyota RAV4 Prime is so much better than the Model Y.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

alexgr

Aug 13, 2019
Yesterday I found this on HotCars.com:

The author, Eric Boman, gives 8 reasons why he would buy RAV4 Prime over Model Y. Let me go briefly over all of them:
1) It's cheaper. Hell ya! And dozens of other brands have cars cheaper than Toyota.
2) It has longer range. Sure, get a diesel truck then.
3) RAV4 Prime has more cargo space. FALSE. Prime has less space (63.2 ft2) than the regular RAV4 (69 ft2), and less than the Model Y (68 ft2).
4) Higher ground clearance. Agree. Is this a deciding factor in selecting a family SUV really?
5) "The Toyota RAV4 has a more familiar interior". Read - dated obsolete interior. "The interior of a Tesla is filled with distracting screens that can take away from the driving experience." Screens in Model Y? Driving experience in Toyota?
6) Quality. Maybe.
7) "The RAV4 Prime comes standard with a power liftgate and an available heated steering wheel. Both of which are unavailable to the Tesla Model Y. " Should I say anything?
8) "Looking for an SUV that comes with AWD? The Toyota RAV4 Prime makes that sought-after feature standard. In order to get it on the Tesla Model Y, buyers must pay extra. " Huh?

So, I sent an email to the editors with request to retract this POS and apologize to the readers.

Question: is there a media watchdog group fighting against misleading stories targeting Tesla?

Toyota has a healthy marketing and advertising budget and probably pays good money for garbage like this.

I'm sure the Prime is an okay vehicle, but I think Toyota should spend more money on R&D and manufacturing to build better vehicles as they're getting really far behind.

Yesterday I found this on HotCars.com:

The author, Eric Boman, gives 8 reasons why he would buy RAV4 Prime over Model Y. Let me go briefly over all of them:
1) It's cheaper. Hell ya! And dozens of other brands have cars cheaper than Toyota.
2) It has longer range. Sure, get a diesel truck then.
3) RAV4 Prime has more cargo space. FALSE. Prime has less space (63.2 ft2) than the regular RAV4 (69 ft2), and less than the Model Y (68 ft2).
4) Higher ground clearance. Agree. Is this a deciding factor in selecting a family SUV really?
5) "The Toyota RAV4 has a more familiar interior". Read - dated obsolete interior. "The interior of a Tesla is filled with distracting screens that can take away from the driving experience." Screens in Model Y? Driving experience in Toyota?
6) Quality. Maybe.
7) "The RAV4 Prime comes standard with a power liftgate and an available heated steering wheel. Both of which are unavailable to the Tesla Model Y. " Should I say anything?
8) "Looking for an SUV that comes with AWD? The Toyota RAV4 Prime makes that sought-after feature standard. In order to get it on the Tesla Model Y, buyers must pay extra. " Huh?

So, I sent an email to the editors with request to retract this POS and apologize to the readers.

Question: is there a media watchdog group fighting against misleading stories targeting Tesla?

Holly kwap! They changed the story to ...

They deleted the one about the AWD although they were lazy to change even numbers. They now corrected that the RAV4 has the heated steering wheel as an option, but still claim it is unavailable on Model Y. And they simply deleted their statement that the adaptive cruise control in Tesla comes for extra money only.

It is clear to me now that they are paid by Toyota to promote RAV4 AND to inject misinformation about Tesla. I guess, the true title should read: "Competitors *sugar* their pants looking at Tesla, but all they can offer are huge PR department budgets"

Sounds like Hotcars is just a typical pay-for-play astroturf marketing/media outfit. No real staff with knowledge or any sort of journalism. The original story probably came from Toyota verbatim along with a nice check. They probably got the revisions directly from Toyota as well.

Holly kwap! They changed the story to ...

They deleted the one about the AWD although they were lazy to change even numbers. They now corrected that the RAV4 has the heated steering wheel as an option, but still claim it is unavailable on Model Y. And they simply deleted their statement that the adaptive cruise control in Tesla comes for extra money only.

It is clear to me now that they are paid by Toyota to promote RAV4 AND to inject misinformation about Tesla. I guess, the true title should read: "Competitors *sugar* their pants looking at Tesla, but all they can offer are huge PR department budgets"

I was cross shopping model Y and RAV4 prime and reliability of Toyota over tesla, $7500 rebate, higher ground clearance , Tesla goof up by removing Radar and touting it as better technology tesla vision were deciding factors in my final decision.

I am sure Tesla tech is superior however having long term reliability was more important to me than falling for latest tech. Also in few months from when Texas plant start rolling out 500 mile battery model Y that might be time to bite the bullet. Also Biden is planning on making Tesla eligible again for tax credit more reasons to take the chill pill and buy something more traditional. No one ever has regretted buying Toyota. Your mileage may vary however i thought rebuttal offered in the thread so far was lacking in content

Your mileage may vary however i thought rebuttal offered in the thread so far was lacking in content
... what? I mean there is no "rebuttal", the HotCars article simply can't get their facts right, and then then they fail to correct correctly.

I would be potentially interested in RAV4 Prime, and it seems to be a good vehicle based on old Toyota tech, but it is not sold in my state. Teslas are available for test drive 5 miles from me, RAV4 Prime ... I have to travel 650 miles to Colorado to see one.

That said, there should be no excuse for self-proclaimed journalists to lie about Tesla to promote Toyota, even if Toyota were factually better than Tesla.

Last edited:
... what? I mean there is no "rebuttal", the HotCars article simply can't get their facts right, and then then they fail to correct correctly.

I would be potentially interested in RAV4 Prime, and it seems to be a good vehicle based on old Toyota tech, but it is not sold in my state. Teslas are available for test drive 5 miles from me, RAV4 Prime ... I have to travel 650 miles to Colorado to see one.

That said, there should be no excuse for self-proclaimed journalists to lie about Tesla to promote Toyota, even if Toyota were factually better than Tesla.
RAV4 Prime owner here....I loved the Y (friend owns one), but knowing I'm likely to move in a few years, potentially to a place with no home charger available, it was ruled out.....That 650 mile drive you have to make to see one - If you bought one, you'd probably make it home without stopping if you didn't mind running with a low fuel light. I've been getting over 50 electric miles per charge, and the 3 times I've filled up with gas in my 4000 miles of driving, it shows a 550 mile gas range (plus I believe a 2-3 gallon reserve). The infotainment system is a bit dated, but overall, it's a great vehicle - perfect for someone like me who has range anxiety (Two 1000 mile drives to make this winter). I'll say one thing for driving a PHEV - it makes you appreciate the quietness and drive of an EV...a great transition vehicle.

RAV4 Prime owner here....I loved the Y (friend owns one), but knowing I'm likely to move in a few years, potentially to a place with no home charger available, it was ruled out.....That 650 mile drive you have to make to see one - If you bought one, you'd probably make it home without stopping if you didn't mind running with a low fuel light. I've been getting over 50 electric miles per charge, and the 3 times I've filled up with gas in my 4000 miles of driving, it shows a 550 mile gas range (plus I believe a 2-3 gallon reserve). The infotainment system is a bit dated, but overall, it's a great vehicle - perfect for someone like me who has range anxiety (Two 1000 mile drives to make this winter). I'll say one thing for driving a PHEV - it makes you appreciate the quietness and drive of an EV...a great transition vehicle.
650 miles of non-stop driving? Thank you. o_O. I think 300 miles is the max I can survive without a good rest, usually it's more like 150 miles. But I agree that vehicles like RAV4 Hybrid/Prime are good for long trips where gas or electric stations are scarce. How long does it take you to charge the battery from a well-depleted state to full on 110V?