TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

8 Years with a Tesla Model 3 (at 15k/yr, at least)

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by shrspeedblade, Sep 16, 2020.

1. sslider02

sslider02 New Member

More superchargers will be installed when the volume of cars increase, thereby spoiling your current peace and tranquility. Much better to take your ICE car on those back country scenice drives and not worry about anything.

2. Impaler

Impaler '20 MY LR Black/Black, 20" induction w/FSD

Terrific review, thanks for taking the time to post. I just hit 3,000 miles on my Y. I am surprised how fast I've put on the miles already!

• Like x 2
  3. Esqlee

Esqlee New Member

Fantastically well-written! Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective!

• Like x 2
  4. Cmdred

Cmdred Member

Wow. I have a 2019 M3 Performance. Could you tell me, if you drive X miles, and consume X% of your battery, what on average do you get in terms of Miles/% battery usage? I get on average 1.5 to 2.5, where the advertised rate is 3. (300 miles per 100% charge). And this is with no heat or A/C, driving in chill mode with good tire pressure in all temperatures. Been tracking it for a year and a half. If you or anyone else can report what they are getting in terms of miles / % charge I'd love to hear it. Its a simple calc. Just remember the % charge when you charge it, then look at miles since last charge and divide. I love my car but have been feeling ripped off on range ever since I bought it. I did this with my RAV4EV's (2 of them) and my 2 Ford Focus BEV's, and my Bolt and it always worked out per advertised. But never once on my beloved Tesla.

5. Cmdred

Cmdred Member

I'd love to hear what you get in terms of miles/%battery for a day of normal driving. See my reply to the original post on this thread. My performance has never got more than 2.5 miles per percent, which equals 250 miles range, even when driving in total chill mode with no a/c or heat or any of the extra processes running. How about you?

6. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Member

Electronics don't really degrade with typical use, so how many miles driven is pretty irrelevant. If you're looking for how reliable an EV is, look at 5+ years old cars.

• Helpful x 1
  7. commanderCody

commanderCody Member

What an excellent write up. This makes me feel good about my recent purchase. I picked up my Tesla Model 3 Performance on Sunday, and charged for the first time last night. I have enjoyed not having to go to the gas station, and looking forward to not having to do routine oil changes / engine maintenance every 5k miles.

• Like x 2
  8. Ticobird

Ticobird Lovin the Tesla Life

Here is a link to look at. Scroll down to Nova Scotia and you will find 7 Destination Chargers.
    Tesla Destination Charging in Canada | Tesla

• Helpful x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  9. EnrgyNDpndnce

EnrgyNDpndnce Member

Why not just use the watt-hours per mile metric displayed on the screen. I’m at 251 lifetime after 90k miles. I believe that’s a bit higher than would be required to hit rated range, but I drive a lot of highway miles. I think I read somewhere that 240 wh/mile would yield rated range, but don’t quote me on that.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  10. Ticobird

Ticobird Lovin the Tesla Life

That is what I use to determine my driving technique efficiency. My average with my Model 3 Performance+ is 257 wh/mi.

I think of this measurement as the same metric as miles/gallon with an ICEV.

• Like x 1
  11. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

My mother-in-law recently sold her two-year old car with 1500km on the clock. I drove her to the buyer, and on the way she pointed out the service station where she’d refuelled it twice, once per year :)

• Funny x 3
    • Love x 1
  12. smashcz

smashcz Member

Where do I find that info?

13. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Rideshare Monkey

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 All Season that I get at Costco. They are a good jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none tire. Good enough handling for flinging the car down a twisty road at any speed a sane person would, good but not great tread wear (usually get around the 45k rated at), and only marginally louder than the OEMs with the acoustic foam. Unfortunately, I just found out they got replaced by the Pilot Sport 4 A/S, so I'll have to switch after two sets, hopefully the replacement is as good. I always try to replace my tires in the late fall before our rainy season starts.

I'm glad you love your 3P. You are right, I didn't really factor in the cannonball run angle.

Bottom left of the screen, where the camera button is, keep swiping down to the odometer screen IIRC. I average a little better than 4 miles/kWh. All that cruising in Napa Valley 50mph traffic really helps my average! ;)

• Like x 1
  14. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

#54 SMAlset, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Tesla has been doing a lot of Supercharger construction in Canada recently. I see two new ones (in gray) scheduled to go in Nova Scotia this year but believe you're able to do a lot of driving across parts of Canada now. Check out Tesla's website for more specifics but here's a quick map for you.

nova scotia - 1.jpeg

Find Us | Tesla

If you are not familiar with the TMC Canadian specific section, you might want to check it out occasionally, particularly the Supercharger thread organized by location. I didn't see anything started for the two Coming Soon locations in Nova Scotia yet but when something gets picked up in permitting by owners here you'll be able to follow along with the construction progress. Usually these threads have photos posted too of the area and actual construction and it's used for updates on the location after built out.

• Helpful x 1
  15. IronQQQ

IronQQQ Member

Aside from the suspension bushing replaced under warranty, how is the suspension? Does it feel worn? Or does it still feel good and firm? I replaced my previous car at 130k mi and 5 years and the suspension was feeling worn.

Your lifetime average is quite good. I'm in SoCal and my 2019 3 LR RWd 19" is at 31k miles after 14 months. I get 254 kw/mi lifetime average. I've done about 2500 kWh of supercharging, which equates to 10000 mi. Nominal full pack is 70.5 kWh which I suspect is lower than yours. Screenshot_20200831-204904.jpg

16. Words of HABIT

@shrspeedblade , great post. I have the same make/model/year just passing 15k miles with no issues. It's a beaut. Based on your experience I can expect many more years of good driving, fun times, low cost and no worries in my Tesla.

• Like x 2
  17. Fossil Fool

Fossil Fool Member

At 100K the Ranger came out and replaced the muffler bearings for free on my M3P!

• Funny x 5
  18. bnhappy55

bnhappy55 New Member

I know everyones tolerance to sitting and charging is different , but there is the planet to think about .It matters what each of us does with respect to global warming .

• Love x 3
    • Like x 1
  19. 1stEVSm3mY

1stEVSm3mY Member

• Like x 1
  20. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Rideshare Monkey

it’s definitely softened a bit, but not enough to require replacing the shocks yet. In fact, I was thinking a month or two back that it’s better suited to hauling people around now!

I still preferred the sharper edge it had when new, though!

• Like x 2