Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8 Years with a Tesla Model 3 (at 15k/yr, at least)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. I live in Nova Scotia, where there is only one supercharger. I have a 2019 Model 3 RWD BR and I would love to be able to do the scenic routes and back roads, but am limited to only my own area. When will there be more superchargers on the back roads here and across Canada and the US??

More superchargers will be installed when the volume of cars increase, thereby spoiling your current peace and tranquility. Much better to take your ICE car on those back country scenice drives and not worry about anything.

Wow. I have a 2019 M3 Performance. Could you tell me, if you drive X miles, and consume X% of your battery, what on average do you get in terms of Miles/% battery usage? I get on average 1.5 to 2.5, where the advertised rate is 3. (300 miles per 100% charge). And this is with no heat or A/C, driving in chill mode with good tire pressure in all temperatures. Been tracking it for a year and a half. If you or anyone else can report what they are getting in terms of miles / % charge I'd love to hear it. Its a simple calc. Just remember the % charge when you charge it, then look at miles since last charge and divide. I love my car but have been feeling ripped off on range ever since I bought it. I did this with my RAV4EV's (2 of them) and my 2 Ford Focus BEV's, and my Bolt and it always worked out per advertised. But never once on my beloved Tesla.

8 YEARS WITH A TESLA MODEL 3

I'd love to hear what you get in terms of miles/%battery for a day of normal driving. See my reply to the original post on this thread. My performance has never got more than 2.5 miles per percent, which equals 250 miles range, even when driving in total chill mode with no a/c or heat or any of the extra processes running. How about you?

That is quite remarkable. At 11K miles, my 2020 Model 3 Performance has a lifetime usage of around 340wh/mi. I deal with cold winter temperatures and cruise really fast on the highway and do a full-throttle acceleration whenever possible, which probably explains the large variance.

Case studies like yours should help keep the resale market strong for these vehicles. Doesn't matter to me because I lease (which in hindsight will probably prove to have been a bad financial proposition given the lack of option to buyout at lease-end).

I agree. I live in Nova Scotia, where there is only one supercharger. I have a 2019 Model 3 RWD BR and I would love to be able to do the scenic routes and back roads, but am limited to only my own area. When will there be more superchargers on the back roads here and across Canada and the US??
Here is a link to look at. Scroll down to Nova Scotia and you will find 7 Destination Chargers.
Tesla Destination Charging in Canada | Tesla

Wow. I have a 2019 M3 Performance. Could you tell me, if you drive X miles, and consume X% of your battery, what on average do you get in terms of Miles/% battery usage? I get on average 1.5 to 2.5, where the advertised rate is 3. (300 miles per 100% charge). And this is with no heat or A/C, driving in chill mode with good tire pressure in all temperatures. Been tracking it for a year and a half. If you or anyone else can report what they are getting in terms of miles / % charge I'd love to hear it. Its a simple calc. Just remember the % charge when you charge it, then look at miles since last charge and divide. I love my car but have been feeling ripped off on range ever since I bought it. I did this with my RAV4EV's (2 of them) and my 2 Ford Focus BEV's, and my Bolt and it always worked out per advertised. But never once on my beloved Tesla.

Why not just use the watt-hours per mile metric displayed on the screen. I’m at 251 lifetime after 90k miles. I believe that’s a bit higher than would be required to hit rated range, but I drive a lot of highway miles. I think I read somewhere that 240 wh/mile would yield rated range, but don’t quote me on that.

Wow, that's a lot of miles... I have had mine just about 20 months and I just turned over a whopping 10,000 miles.
My mother-in-law recently sold her two-year old car with 1500km on the clock. I drove her to the buyer, and on the way she pointed out the service station where she’d refuelled it twice, once per year :)

Out of curiosity, what tires have you been using because that seems to be a lot of mileage out 3 sets of tires....for a Tesla :)

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 All Season that I get at Costco. They are a good jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none tire. Good enough handling for flinging the car down a twisty road at any speed a sane person would, good but not great tread wear (usually get around the 45k rated at), and only marginally louder than the OEMs with the acoustic foam. Unfortunately, I just found out they got replaced by the Pilot Sport 4 A/S, so I'll have to switch after two sets, hopefully the replacement is as good. I always try to replace my tires in the late fall before our rainy season starts.

Your opinion on range anxiety differs from my opinion. While I love my 3P as my fun car, never in a million years will i drive it across country, because my objective is to get from point A to point B as fast as possible. I am not retired, so i value my time, and driving fast is fun for me. If I drove from Key West to Los Angeles (2900 Miles), my 2013 G37 with 20 Gal tank at 24 MPG at 85 on cruise = 456 miles (19 gals) between 10 minute stop for fuel and bathroom. To extend range more in my G37, I have carried a 5 gallon container with fuel. SO 2900 miles/456 miles = 7 stops at 10 minutes each = 70 MINUTES IN STOPS. With my 3P (with a 300 mile range at 50 MPH on cruise), I am finding a range of 200 miles at 85 MPH on cruise. So that means i can drive LESS than 2 hours (170 miles) before stopping, because all the superchargers are spaced out at least every 60 to 80 miles on the open road. SO, 2900 miles / 170 miles = 17 Stops AT A MINIMUM for AT LEAST 45 minutes, perhaps 1 hour + if supercharger is old and splits energy with your neighbor. SO BEST SCENARIO IS 12.75 HOURS IN STOPS, WORST CASE WILL BE 17 HOURS OR MORE IN STOPS. To me, this is unacceptable, and is the quintessential definition of range anxiety -- being able to only drive 170 Miles OR LESS on the open road. Last month I drove from Fort Collins to Yellowstone NP in a rental car (i have 4 cars but rented a Camaro for $120 for 72 hours, and i drove 1300 miles at an average speed of 94 MPH.) NO WAY could anyone do this drive in a 3, maybe an S, but everyone would be scared driving around Yellowstone if they access from East or North entrances. I am in the freight sector, and sometimes I will carry 500 or 700 Lbs of product 1000 Miles, and I must make delivery within 12 hours. NO WAY could any Tesla do that, as driving + 20 or + 30 over the limit decreases the range much more than a modern gas powered vehicle, and I imagine at 100 MPH on cruise, the range would be appx 140 or 150 miles. (My last Z06 was a 2011, and it would be 25 MPGs at 85 on cruise control, and 26 MPG at 65 on cruise control -- very little difference as speed increased, compared to my 3P).

I'm glad you love your 3P. You are right, I didn't really factor in the cannonball run angle.

Where do I find that info?

Bottom left of the screen, where the camera button is, keep swiping down to the odometer screen IIRC. I average a little better than 4 miles/kWh. All that cruising in Napa Valley 50mph traffic really helps my average! ;)

Reactions: Futuresystem

Tesla has been doing a lot of Supercharger construction in Canada recently. I see two new ones (in gray) scheduled to go in Nova Scotia this year but believe you're able to do a lot of driving across parts of Canada now. Check out Tesla's website for more specifics but here's a quick map for you.

nova scotia - 1.jpeg

Find Us | Tesla

If you are not familiar with the TMC Canadian specific section, you might want to check it out occasionally, particularly the Supercharger thread organized by location. I didn't see anything started for the two Coming Soon locations in Nova Scotia yet but when something gets picked up in permitting by owners here you'll be able to follow along with the construction progress. Usually these threads have photos posted too of the area and actual construction and it's used for updates on the location after built out.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: shrspeedblade
Aside from the suspension bushing replaced under warranty, how is the suspension? Does it feel worn? Or does it still feel good and firm? I replaced my previous car at 130k mi and 5 years and the suspension was feeling worn.

Your lifetime average is quite good. I'm in SoCal and my 2019 3 LR RWd 19" is at 31k miles after 14 months. I get 254 kw/mi lifetime average. I've done about 2500 kWh of supercharging, which equates to 10000 mi. Nominal full pack is 70.5 kWh which I suspect is lower than yours.
Screenshot_20200831-204904.jpg

Your opinion on range anxiety differs from my opinion. While I love my 3P as my fun car, never in a million years will i drive it across country, because my objective is to get from point A to point B as fast as possible. I am not retired, so i value my time, and driving fast is fun for me. If I drove from Key West to Los Angeles (2900 Miles), my 2013 G37 with 20 Gal tank at 24 MPG at 85 on cruise = 456 miles (19 gals) between 10 minute stop for fuel and bathroom. To extend range more in my G37, I have carried a 5 gallon container with fuel. SO 2900 miles/456 miles = 7 stops at 10 minutes each = 70 MINUTES IN STOPS. With my 3P (with a 300 mile range at 50 MPH on cruise), I am finding a range of 200 miles at 85 MPH on cruise. So that means i can drive LESS than 2 hours (170 miles) before stopping, because all the superchargers are spaced out at least every 60 to 80 miles on the open road. SO, 2900 miles / 170 miles = 17 Stops AT A MINIMUM for AT LEAST 45 minutes, perhaps 1 hour + if supercharger is old and splits energy with your neighbor. SO BEST SCENARIO IS 12.75 HOURS IN STOPS, WORST CASE WILL BE 17 HOURS OR MORE IN STOPS. To me, this is unacceptable, and is the quintessential definition of range anxiety -- being able to only drive 170 Miles OR LESS on the open road. Last month I drove from Fort Collins to Yellowstone NP in a rental car (i have 4 cars but rented a Camaro for $120 for 72 hours, and i drove 1300 miles at an average speed of 94 MPH.) NO WAY could anyone do this drive in a 3, maybe an S, but everyone would be scared driving around Yellowstone if they access from East or North entrances. I am in the freight sector, and sometimes I will carry 500 or 700 Lbs of product 1000 Miles, and I must make delivery within 12 hours. NO WAY could any Tesla do that, as driving + 20 or + 30 over the limit decreases the range much more than a modern gas powered vehicle, and I imagine at 100 MPH on cruise, the range would be appx 140 or 150 miles. (My last Z06 was a 2011, and it would be 25 MPGs at 85 on cruise control, and 26 MPG at 65 on cruise control -- very little difference as speed increased, compared to my 3P).
I know everyones tolerance to sitting and charging is different , but there is the planet to think about .It matters what each of us does with respect to global warming .

Aside from the suspension bushing replaced under warranty, how is the suspension? Does it feel worn? Or does it still feel good and firm? I replaced my previous car at 130k mi and 5 years and the suspension was feeling worn.
]

it’s definitely softened a bit, but not enough to require replacing the shocks yet. In fact, I was thinking a month or two back that it’s better suited to hauling people around now!

I still preferred the sharper edge it had when new, though!