Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

80 MPH limit unacceptable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new 80 MPH overall speed limit is HORRIBLE!.

In the past, was 90 MPH on highways and up to 5 MPH over speed limit on streets Was good with that.

Now, they allow 80 MPH on city streets.....why???

But also, even though FSD switches to the original Nav on AP when on freeways, they reduced the maximum speed to 80 MPH.

Sorry, when on freeways with 75 MPH speed limits, 80 MPH is like a moving road block. Was so disappointed with my last trip. Used to be all done in AP. Now, couldn't use it at all. Even got put in AP jail for pressing the accelerator to help it change lanes. Hit 83 MPH and red wheel and couldn't use for rest of the drive. Still stupid to penalize you for rest of the drive in that scenario. Did it before at 90 MPH too. Why penalize for the entire drive because I needed to speed up for a second? Disconnect it for that instance, but makes no sense to penalize me for the entire trip.

I love the tech and being part of it, but sadly, AP was completely useless to me on my trip this weekend when it had always been great. They need to reconsider the speed limits. Stupid to allow 80 MPH in a 25 MPH zone and to only allow 80 MPH in a 75 MPH zone. I think some places (Texas) have 80 MPH speed limits.

Hoping they change this!

Kind of amazing to hear AP was “completely useless” because you can’t go over 80MPH, but I’m pretty sure Tesla won’t ever condone speeding.

Regardless, the new 80MPH isn’t because of FSD beta. It’s because of Vision Only. All Tesla 3/Y since June’ish are limited to 80MPH due to no more radar (i.e. - even non FSD beta cars). Tesla has said this is temporary while they validate/gain more confidence in the Vision Only code (which you are now running if you got FSD beta).

In the past, was 90 MPH on highways and up to 5 MPH over speed limit on streets Was good with that.

But also, even though FSD switches to the original Nav on AP when on freeways, they reduced the maximum speed to 80 MPH.

Sorry, when on freeways with 75 MPH speed limits, 80 MPH is like a moving road block. Was so disappointed with my last trip. Used to be all done in AP. Now, couldn't use it at all. Even got put in AP jail for pressing the accelerator to help it change lanes. Hit 83 MPH and red wheel and couldn't use for rest of the drive. Still stupid to penalize you for rest of the drive in that scenario. Did it before at 90 MPH too. Why penalize for the entire drive because I needed to speed up for a second? Disconnect it for that instance, but makes no sense to penalize me for the entire trip.

I love the tech and being part of it, but sadly, AP was completely useless to me on my trip this weekend when it had always been great. They need to reconsider the speed limits. Stupid to allow 80 MPH in a 25 MPH zone and to only allow 80 MPH in a 75 MPH zone. I think some places (Texas) have 80 MPH speed limits.

Hoping they change this!
Wow.. you know the limit is temporary right?

Hoping they change this!
They will. As others have pointed out, they have already announced they will. In fact, they announced it at the exact same time they announced the new 80 MPH limit.

It is going to be a long, windy road from now until the product is complete and out of beta status. There will be progress, regressions, breakthroughs, setbacks... basically the whole gamut from crap to great.

And if every little setback like this is going to end up with you becoming so angry that it's "completely worthless" to you, you might want to just hold off until it's done?

If having a temporary restriction of 80 MPH is enough to launch your rocket, it's a darn good thing you didn't experience the mess that was beta version 10.3.

If you want to experience riding out FSD from now until it's done, you might want to re-examine the things that are enough to set you off, 'cause we're just getting started here.

Hoping they change this!
You know, the rules were about the size of your post. You didn't read the rules and now you just write this and expect us to read it? We know what we signed up for. As of you, I'm pretty sure you were just click-happy.

If you use the accelerator to force it above 80 while AP is engaged you can unlock the secret mode that reverts back to the 90mph limit. You have to do it twice though.
In my case autopilot immediately disengages and doesn't turn on until the end of the trip if I do that ;)
But guys, when you go on a highway with 80mph speed limit, where everyone else is driving 90mph - going 85mph is not speeding to me. However, I need to disengage autopilot if I want to keep with the speed of traffic and go over 80 mph.

Wow, I got all the Tesla fanboi's on this one!! LOL

So, it's ok to allow us to do 80 in 30 MPH zone, but not 80 in a 75 MPH zone? Funny how nobody pointed that out when stressing how I'm a horrible driver breaking the law by keeping up the flow of traffic at just 5-10 MPH over the speed limit. It's called driving in reality. 90 MPH used to be the limit. I was only asking that the FREEWAY portion be restored back to what it ALREADY WAS. FSD switches back to the old style NAV ON AP when on the freeway, thus is the same as we had before, except that it now limits you to 80 instead of 90. I would love to know how many can honestly say they would drive through the deserts of Texas, New Mexico and Arizona without exceeding 5 MPH over the speed limits. You can get off your righteous high horses now. LOL

Seriously, all you gotta do is break the speed limit on FSD two times and they'll put you back where you need to be.. off the beta =)
I must have missed this. So two over the limit violations and you're out? Is there a timeframe? I got my first this past weekend when I tried to give it a little gas to finish passing someone with a tailgater on me.

It's called driving in reality. 90 MPH used to be the limit. I was only asking that the FREEWAY portion be restored back to what it ALREADY WAS. FSD switches back to the old style NAV ON AP when on the freeway, thus is the same as we had before, except that it now limits you to 80 instead of 90.
It is not about "going back to the old style ... thus the same as we had before", because it is now vision only (not the same). It's the vision only NAV ON AP not FSD that is slowing you down.

Kind of amazing to hear AP was “completely useless” because you can’t go over 80MPH, but I’m pretty sure Tesla won’t ever condone speeding.

Regardless, the new 80MPH isn’t because of FSD beta. It’s because of Vision Only. All Tesla 3/Y since June’ish are limited to 80MPH due to no more radar (i.e. - even non FSD beta cars). Tesla has said this is temporary while they validate/gain more confidence in the Vision Only code (which you are now running if you got FSD beta).
They do condone speeding already by allowing you to set over the speed limit and even set the default speed to be a % over. What they can't do is trust the new vision software at speeds higher than 80MPH.

1374513132000-XXX-12182012-HWY130-469-1307221314_16_9.jpg

This is the posted limit on TX-130 that passes by the Austin Gigafactory :p

Hoping they change this!
I agree completely with you.

I guess I don't understand the problem with the limit. IMHO, AutoPilot/NoA is only good on long trips. And if I do much more than 75 on the interstate on long trips, my range goes into the toilet. So being limited to 80MPH is no problem. If I've got somewhere to be and a short time to get there, I'll just drive myself.

• Disagree
Reactions: ahmadr