Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

80 MPH limit unacceptable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...I don't understand the problem with the limit...

Different people have different needs.

People who used to buy the super modern Nissan Leaf with a range of 73 miles (2010 model) couldn't understand why some would buy a Lucid for the EPA range of 520 miles.

I drive in CA route 99 highway often and trucks are supposed to drive at 55 MPH but they often drive at 80 MPH. To pass them, I would need a car that can drive faster than 80 MPH! I do have a need for Autopilot to go 90 MPH even other people don't think I do.

Reactions: ahmadr
I still don't get it. You spend $10k on a "feature" that you can only use if Big Brother lets you. When you can access it, there are restrictions that make it difficult use in a common use case (see EVDave's YouTube video about a long highway journey).

If the BSD were free, I could understand the restrictions. Otherwise, it just doesn't sit well with me. Just my humble opinion.

Reactions: flstcgranucci
I must have missed this. So two over the limit violations and you're out? Is there a timeframe? I got my first this past weekend when I tried to give it a little gas to finish passing someone with a tailgater on me.
No, it's been demonstrated that AP jail from going over 80mph does NOT count toward FSD suspension. You just lose AP until you put the car in park.

I still don't get it. You spend $10k on a "feature" that you can only use if Big Brother lets you. When you can access it, there are restrictions that make it difficult use in a common use case (see EVDave's YouTube video about a long highway journey).

If the BSD were free, I could understand the restrictions. Otherwise, it just doesn't sit well with me. Just my humble opinion.
The 80mph limit is not tied to FSD beta. It's tied to vision-only. So any new Tesla without radar will be using vision only for AP, and the speed cap is also 80mph. Spending 10k or whatever people paid for FSD is irrelevant to this particular temporary nerf.

• Informative
Reactions: ahmadr and _jal_
Different people have different needs.

People who used to buy the super modern Nissan Leaf with a range of 73 miles (2010 model) couldn't understand why some would buy a Lucid for the EPA range of 520 miles.

I drive in CA route 99 highway often and trucks are supposed to drive at 55 MPH but they often drive at 80 MPH. To pass them, I would need a car that can drive faster than 80 MPH! I do have a need for Autopilot to go 90 MPH even other people don't think I do.
So if I understand this correctly Tesla with the implementation of vision only has a speed cap of 80mph until they have enough data to make sure exceeding 80mph is safe. How is that not reasonable? Would you rather Tesla just assume going faster is safe only to find out someone was killed because they didn't do adequate due diligence? To say this is horrible is a bit extreme.

• Disagree
Reactions: rob1987 and ahmadr
...How is that not reasonable? ...

Lack of transparency is not reasonable. I am used to radar speed of 90MPH then I heard that radar is very bad, pure vision is very good and sublime.

But once pure vision is implemented a few issues sprout up not for the better but for worse: from auto highbeam, false slowdowns, aiming toward opposing traffic, sudden jerking steering wheel...

Hyping up pure vision and not giving drivers advanced informed choices is unreasonable.

Last edited:
Yes, you can collect data before the change but until they have cars on the road for lots of real world data best decision is to be cautious. Let's see how much longer the 80 mph restriction lasts.
I see a lot of people and Tesla stating this is temporary. How long is temporary in Tesla speak? Is it longer than "two weeks"? I wonder if the fix will end up being HW4 and higher resolution cameras.

Reactions: ahmadr
Reactions: mycroftxxx
Speed limit is 85 down here, y'all. The Model 3 is perfectly stable at speeds up to 100 from what I've observed.

When you need to go faster than 80, disengaging the Autopilot either by brake or by steering wheel is neither comfortable nor safe. This needs to be fixed sooner rather than later.

Reactions: rwjr44
Everyone should research what happens on the autobahn.
Hint: its per-mile fatality rate is less than half of US interstates.

The common mistake here is to assume travel speed (and speed limits) have a direct correlation with impact speeds
Did LA to SF recently in 5.5 hours. Safest trip when everyone was just blasting down I-5 like the autobahn. Couldn't use FSD/AP once. I wasn't even the fastest car.

Worst and most dangerous is people camping the left lane and speedsters trying to cut in at the last second as they approach the big rigs. Using FSD/AP is very dangerous as it doesn't account for cars passing on the right and cutting in front of it.