Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

80 MPH limit unacceptable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An easy solution: enable a switch in settings (or whatever) to allow anyone to use cruise control normally. Not traffic-aware, just plain ol' cruise
+1000
I would pay a fair chunk to have a POCC - plain ol’ cruise control.

And Tesla needs to fix the bug where one activates TACC and it takes several seconds for the cruise control to trim out to the steady state value (in control engineer-speak, ISTM that Tesla isn’t properly initializing the cruise control loop’s integrator state to provide a bumpless transition to TACC active). Anybody else noticing that?

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
And Tesla needs to fix the bug where one activates TACC and it takes several seconds for the cruise control to trim out to the steady state value (in control engineer-speak, ISTM that Tesla isn’t properly initializing the cruise control loop’s integrator state to provide a bumpless transition to TACC active). Anybody else noticing that?
Yes. I hate that I have to keep the accelerator down to avoid TACC "tapping the brakes" when I engage it.
Though it doesn't do it consistently so I'm wondering if there's some trick to engage TACC smoothly.

Vision only MY here

I live in texas did a trip from El paso to Dallas over thanksgiving and tbh on the bigger stretches i just left at automatic cruise control at 85-90mph and kept my hand on the steering wheel which u pretty much kinda have to with regular AP anyways most of the times since it checks up on u

No FSD for me so can't comment there but i never been much to let the car drive itself

Also im pretty sure tesla did rush vision only out without much notice back before i got my vehicle in june u had to agree to some verbiage as part of taking delivery etc.
im sure that was the plan always in the future but it definitely was rushed out because of parts chip shortage they axed radar real quick at short notice back in mayish

I think HW4 will be the "fix" to allow the vision-only cars to go higher on the max speed limits (either 85 or 90). If the folks at Tesla believed that it was ok at one point for Teslas to operate on AP at 90 MPH with radar+/-vision, then they must allow the vision-only cars to use AP at that speed also otherwise an obvious comparison can be made that vision-only is inferior to radar+vision. This is especially because every single Tesla that is delivered now has AP capability so it eventually has to be equal or we have an inferior product.

Eventually when Tesla goes single-stack and FSD comes out of beta and releases to everyone that purchased it people with radar+vision cars that aren't in the FSD beta are gonna be pissed when their speed is cut from 90 to 80 out of nowhere. By then they have to resolve this issue and make them equal.

The new 80 MPH overall speed limit is HORRIBLE!.

In the past, was 90 MPH on highways and up to 5 MPH over speed limit on streets Was good with that.

Now, they allow 80 MPH on city streets.....why???

But also, even though FSD switches to the original Nav on AP when on freeways, they reduced the maximum speed to 80 MPH.

Sorry, when on freeways with 75 MPH speed limits, 80 MPH is like a moving road block. Was so disappointed with my last trip. Used to be all done in AP. Now, couldn't use it at all. Even got put in AP jail for pressing the accelerator to help it change lanes. Hit 83 MPH and red wheel and couldn't use for rest of the drive. Still stupid to penalize you for rest of the drive in that scenario. Did it before at 90 MPH too. Why penalize for the entire drive because I needed to speed up for a second? Disconnect it for that instance, but makes no sense to penalize me for the entire trip.

I love the tech and being part of it, but sadly, AP was completely useless to me on my trip this weekend when it had always been great. They need to reconsider the speed limits. Stupid to allow 80 MPH in a 25 MPH zone and to only allow 80 MPH in a 75 MPH zone. I think some places (Texas) have 80 MPH speed limits.

Hoping they change this!
You’re obviously not a long time owner. If you were this wouldn’t be your first rodeo.

The new 80 MPH overall speed limit is HORRIBLE!.

In the past, was 90 MPH on highways and up to 5 MPH over speed limit on streets Was good with that.

Now, they allow 80 MPH on city streets.....why???

But also, even though FSD switches to the original Nav on AP when on freeways, they reduced the maximum speed to 80 MPH.

Sorry, when on freeways with 75 MPH speed limits, 80 MPH is like a moving road block. Was so disappointed with my last trip. Used to be all done in AP. Now, couldn't use it at all. Even got put in AP jail for pressing the accelerator to help it change lanes. Hit 83 MPH and red wheel and couldn't use for rest of the drive. Still stupid to penalize you for rest of the drive in that scenario. Did it before at 90 MPH too. Why penalize for the entire drive because I needed to speed up for a second? Disconnect it for that instance, but makes no sense to penalize me for the entire trip.

I love the tech and being part of it, but sadly, AP was completely useless to me on my trip this weekend when it had always been great. They need to reconsider the speed limits. Stupid to allow 80 MPH in a 25 MPH zone and to only allow 80 MPH in a 75 MPH zone. I think some places (Texas) have 80 MPH speed limits.

Hoping they change this!
If you were a long time owner this wouldn’t be your first rodeo. This is not the first time and you just have to wait.

Even stranger, TACC isn't limited to 80mph, only AP. Shouldn't they both be using vision-only with FSD 10.8 SW?
I think it's because TACC isn't controlling steering, just speed. AP has to control more, and therefore requires more processing power and "reaction time". The cameras have a vision distance range of about 800 feet, which is why they probably slowed thing down a little until they can get better processing power, or better trained neural nets to decode the visual data they're receiving at those speeds.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Seriously. It’s almost been a year now. Are they ever going to give us 90mph again? There are many examples of 80mph speed limits and even one with 85. You cannot use autopilot at the speed limit on a road next to the factory. That’s just insane. I think the cameras’ range is struggling. Just yesterday on the beta the car was doing 60 and didn’t react to stopped cars until way later than a human would and had to aggressively brake. Would hate to see what 90 would look like.
Maybe the answer is give us back radar…

Seriously. It’s almost been a year now. Are they ever going to give us 90mph again? There are many examples of 80mph speed limits and even one with 85. You cannot use autopilot at the speed limit on a road next to the factory. That’s just insane. I think the cameras’ range is struggling. Just yesterday on the beta the car was doing 60 and didn’t react to stopped cars until way later than a human would and had to aggressively brake. Would hate to see what 90 would look like.
So confused. “Are they ever going to give us 90mph” to “Would hate to see what 90mph would look like”. Do you actually know what you want?

• Funny
Reactions: nvx1977 and jgleigh
Does Autopilot actually stop for stopped cars at 90mph? I’ve never even had the guts to try it at 60mph. As far as I can tell it only responds to things about 200ft ahead.
My understanding is that radar can’t reliably tell the difference between an overpass, a rise in the road, and a stopped car at long distances so I wonder why vision only cars are restricted.

Ever since autopilot started ignoring the radar changing the following distance setting does nothing :( They have promised it to be temporary but so far no improvement...

Whoo hoo! Tesla finally updating to 85 MPH. Just this 5 MPH allowance will make such a big difference. I rarely go over 85, staying within 10 MPH of 75 MPH speed limits. At 80, I was getting run over on several freeways. Try speeding up as a courtesy to other drivers and forget to turn off AP and you get put in AP jail. The 80-85 range is the sweet spot on these 75 MPH freeways to "go with the flow" of traffic. Fortunately, I'm not in Texas where the speed limit is 80 I think, in many areas. But very happy to see this small improvement. Will make a big difference in how much I use AP.

Tesla increases top speed of Autopilot with ‘Tesla Vision’ to 85 mph