Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

80% only 110 Miles? 2020 Model X Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a full charge (90%) in garage, I noticed that my (cold) drive in showed est range of only ~110 miles for ~85%

I've only had the car for a few weeks so could it still be calibrating? I've never seen that number above 300 let alone > 200.

PS - is there a way on the dash to show est miles left instead of just 0-100% gauge?

Model X Long Range
22" Onyx Black Wheels

Im not in the car, but if I remember right, this is how to change between % and miles:
Small car icon on the bottom left -> Display -> gear icon at upper right -> Energy Display -> Distance

That worked and it shows a much higher range than the energy / graph that I pull up. No idea what number / average that is showing then. On my way to RTFM.

Thanks for the pointer as well!

The range meter will show rated miles. The energy graph will show estimated miles based on your last 5, 15, or 30 miles driven. This can be useful but if your commute is for example short and cold, you will see a low estimate because your Wh/mile is higher than it'd be on a sustained drive.

Hope that makes sense.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Initial cabin heating eats up range, longer the drive is the more that initial consumption is diluted.

My commute is 7 miles each way and I can see my average for a week double consumption, or even nearly triple the first couple miles.
My P85 has a 100% range of 242 miles but still I have no hesitation to take to the the next supercharger west which is 180miles away because after 10minutes or so consumption will fall back much closer to normal.
Particularly if you need the range preheat aggressively when plugged in just before leaving.

Use the schedule departure charging, this way the battery heater and the cabin preconditioning happen while the car is plugged into the wall. The distance rating is based on 300Wh/mile. If you’re stating you had 100 miles for 85% you would be consuming 3X power (900 kW/mile). This feature will also allow you to have full regen capacity of the line.

Winter range will never show full potential...so for your own peace of mind just set it to percentage and forgot about the rest. Charge up to 90% using schedule departure if you drive quite a bit daily. If not you’ll be good with 70-80% short daily commutes. On long winter drives you were doing good focusing on the energy graph as that takes into account how much you use the HVAC / climate for heat.

Winter range is brutal. My normal commute is 4 miles each way and I usually hover in the 600's-700's for the first 3 miles or so. Once the battery has armed up as others have stated, your range will return to normal (based on 355 Wh/mi).