Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

80+ year old Mother-In-Law 26 solar panels and Two batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought that someone from puerto rico told us that there was no PTO requirement there, but I dont remember which member that was.

Also, while you probably are aware of this, just in case you arent, typical PV production right now is going to be about 1/2 of what it is from april (ish) to septemer (ish), so any "I want to see how the system is working / generating" evaluations need to be done with that in mind.
You would think that as someone from the continental USA, but in Puerto Rico the production values are almost flat according to PVwatts for panels with a 20 degree tilt facing due south/180 degress.

1668119088641.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I got some answers from the sales person and he will talk with the techs to check the system and make sure everything is working ok. He explained the PTO has not been approved. The house has a analog meter and needs to be changed to a digital meter and then activated in the Luma Energy system to start registering the power given back to the grid. He explained that since the PTO has not been approved and the house was running on the solar system...... Luma estimated the usage and bill the customer because they see no usage by the customer... obviously because its on Solar. The sales person did not seem to care that the solar system was being used without the PTO. He said that I could file a billing complain about the bill being estimated. How can you complain to Luma Energy that you have been on solar without having a PTO?

Another question I asked him was about how the Tesla App had data without the house having internet. He said they most likely put a TPLink antenna device that scans for possible open wifi connections and it seems to be connecting on and off. He recommended that they get like a hotspot for the solar system only. That at least explained why the app data had missing data during the day. I believe the meter has been shut off and she is basically just running on the Solar system without the PTO. Its a huge mess and I dont recommend elderly people installing solar systems that they cannot manage or understand.

Reactions: charlesj and h2ofun