Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

80A charging cable (not wall charger)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a previous house, I installed a wall charger and with my dual charger 2015 Model S, I could pull ~80A. In my new home, I have a 100A breaker and 240 outlet. I noticed I can only pull 40A and in looking at the cable that came with the car, it is a max 40A. Is there a cable I can get that will pull 80A without it being an installed wall charger?

The biggest outlet that you can use is a Nema 14-50. That outlet is rated for 50A at 240V. Since you should only pull 80% of the circuit capacity on a constant load, you are limited to 40A. A wall charger doesn't use an outlet so it can have a different maximum. With the proper breaker and wire, you could hit 80A of continuous load.
Install a wall charger, and an old one as the Gen 3 stops at 48A, if you want more. I don't believe there exists a cable that can give you more on any outlet.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot... consider yourself lucky that your cable can hit 40A. As far as I know any recent mobile charger tops at 32A.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The biggest outlet that you can use is a Nema 14-50. That outlet is rated for 50A at 240V. Since you should only pull 80% of the circuit capacity on a constant load, you are limited to 40A. A wall charger doesn't use an outlet so it can have a different maximum. With the proper breaker and wire, you could hit 80A of continuous load.
Install a wall charger, and an old one as the Gen 3 stops at 48A, if you want more. I don't believe there exists a cable that can give you more on any outlet.
Got it. I appreciate the feedback. Wall charger it is!

Got it. I appreciate the feedback. Wall charger it is!
As @GtiMart mentioned, Tesla nerfed their wall connectors when they replaced the Gen2 with the current Gen3, so it can only provide 48A maximum on a 60A circuit. If you want to get 80A, you will need a different kind of wall connector from another company. Unfortunately, Tesla was spectacular in their pricing per capability. So as a for example, I could suggest the CS-100 from Clipper Creek:
But I'm not sure you would want to pay $2,195 for the ability to get 80A instead of 48A.