Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

80K mileage check-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interestingly or maybe not, but my insurance has been exactly the same for my BMW 330xi and my Model 3. Then again, I've been with Liberty Mutual for 46yrs.

My experience with insuring Tesla has been frustrating similar across three (3) companies: Travelers, NJM, and Plymouth Rock.
Year 1 - I get completive rates, and life is good.
Year 2 - the rates on Tesla, and just Tesla, get jacked up by somewhere between 30-100%. The rates on other cars stay the same, or decrease by 1-10%, as they age and their value depreciates.
Year 3 - the rates on just Tesla get jacked up again, I switch companies. Wash, rinse, repeat.

No changes in vehicle, accident, or claims history occur between years 1 and 3.

I in year 2 with Plymouth Rock as of right now.

a

P.S.: In fairness to the insurance companies, Tesla body shops' supply and availability have not kept up with vehicle sales growth. As repair cycle time is counted in months, the costs must be piling up.
P.P.S.: There is no indication that Tesla designs its cars for ease of repair. If anything, the trends are going in the opposite direction, with mega-casting making it THAT much more likely that even moderate damage will become a vehicle totaling event. So if anything, I expect insurance rates on new Tesla to only go up. *sigh*

P.P.S.: There is no indication that Tesla designs its cars for ease of repair. If anything, the trends are going in the opposite direction, with mega-casting making it THAT much more likely that even moderate damage will become a vehicle totaling event. So if anything, I expect insurance rates on new Tesla to only go up. *sigh*

yep. they're making body fast to build and replace, but not repair. But if they keep lowering price it might become more of commodity with more sales and more 3rd party repair=could lower premiums too . Also lower MSRP=lower premiums

yep. they're making body fast to build and replace, but not repair.

Agreed.

But if they keep lowering price it might become more of commodity with more sales and more 3rd party repair=could lower premiums too . Also lower MSRP=lower premiums

Can work out the other way as well:
lower MSRP -> lower market value -> lower threshold for getting the car totaled (usually at ~60-80% of market value).
The key to lower insurance premiums are lower repair costs, which lead to lower probability of getting the car totaled (worst case outcome for the insurance companies).

If anything, the repair costs have been rising over the past few years due to longer repair times (waiting for slots, waiting for parts), and fewer repairable parts (damage to mage casting or battery trays == automatic total).

Good for Tesla (more vehicle sales, lower manufacturing costs), not good for the owners (higher insurance bills).

*sigh*

If your 12V battery dies, you don’t need to tow it. Just remove the plug at the bumper and jump it with a charge pack to open the hood. Then you can replace the low voltage battery.

I can’t believe the costs for tesla to change simple things like the cabin filters. Wow. Maintenance performed yourself on these simple items would have made the BMW costs look way above the Tesla.
My MX gave me a warning that the 12V battery was about to die (2.5 years in So. Fla. heat), so i had mobile service come & replace the 12V under warrant..

Tesla Routine Maintenance:
* Air conditioning filter replacements - three times ($156.25 each time for total of $468.75)
* Vehicle tire alignment - one time ($275.20)
* Brake fluid inspection - one time ($21.00)
* Wiper blade replacement - twice ($60.50 each time for total of $121.00)
* Tires replaced - twice ($1,350 each time for total of $2,700)

TOTAL MAINTENANCE COSTS: $3,585.75
I passed 50k a month ago.
• Air filter - one, $20, self-installed
• Alignments - two, $220, local shop
• Brake fluid - zero, i check it myself, still good
• Wiper blades - one, $50, self-installed
• Tires - two sets, $1400, for both, plus $220 for 2 installs; so $1620
1688083850267.jpeg

• 12V battery - one, $85, self-installed.

In total, just under $2000 for those, after 4 ½ yrs and 50k miles.