Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

80mph Limit of Autosteer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find the 80mph limit on Autosteer annoying. Several states have this or higher speed limits on freeways and traffic often moves faster than 80 on many highways. Is the 80mph speed limit on Autosteer temporary until they refine the vision-only Autopilot or does it look like a permanent limitation? Is the limit still there in the beta FSD?

Reactions: robrich
Our Model Y has radar, but when getting the FSD beta update, we are now limited to 80 mph regardless of if the FSD beta is enabled. Does anyone know of a way to fully disable to beta to get the 90 mph back?
It isn't clear if when you opt out you get put back on the radar stack or stay on the vision stack. Just disabling the FSD Beta in car doesn't change the stack.

Upvote 0
IMO, this is the #1 reason not to download/install the FSD Beta with Tesla Vision at the moment. Afterwards, it's impossible to go back to a previous firmware on your car which had the radar.

80mph is really limiting when traveling long highway stretches between large cities. And if you accidentally throttle to above 80mph to pass while on AP/NOA, then you get yelled at, get a strike (Forced Autopilot Disengagement), and put into AP jail until you shift to Park and back. This is even more annoying.

The last version to have radar (for FSD-capable cars) was 2021.32.22 (FSD button install). And that's the version I'm staying at until they at least improve TACC to at least 85mph. I think non-FSD cars have gone well beyond this version (2021.36.x) and have gotten to keep their radar.

Reactions: ahmadr
Upvote 0
This is kind of annoying. Speed limit on 101 here is 65 so I set it at ~75.

I got kicked out of FSDbeta by going faster than 80mph to get ahead of someone merging today. When I got off the freeway and hit a traffic light I put it in park, then drive again, and FSDbeta came back.

It's amazing how fast you get used to AP/FSDbeta. Manually driving around freeways and surface streets seems like such a chore.

Reactions: planetary
Upvote 0
Our Model Y has radar, but when getting the FSD beta update, we are now limited to 80 mph regardless of if the FSD beta is enabled. Does anyone know of a way to fully disable to beta to get the 90 mph back?
Use FSD beta, and exceed 80mph manually. Do that twice, and you'll get kicked from the program. Tesla will roll back your software to the non-beta release tree

Upvote 0
I am on FSD beta now, and am making a drive from Dallas to Tucson next month. That goes through a whole lot of nothing with many 80mph limits. My car has radar, so I would love it if I could revert back to non-fsd for that trip, then activate again when I get back. I have a feeling I'm going to be using a lot of TACC instead of AP if I can't go above 80.

Upvote 0
I can set TACC higher than 80mph, but not AP. Running FSD 10.8, but my Model 3 did have radar previously. Not sure if it works differently in newer cars.
Yeah, just did a road trip and can definitely set TACC above 80mph. The 80 limit for FSD definitely sucks on roads with an 80mph limit. Trucks were going 80, which meant either long multi minute passes where you back up traffic, or you need to drop out of AP to pass then reengage.

Upvote 0